“Beautiful Room, Slightly Bizarre but Central Location”

Il Sogno di Giulietta
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Verona
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Room, Slightly Bizarre but Central Location”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

If I was rating this hotel just on our room it would without doubt qualify for the full five stars - maybe six! It was beautifully furnished, large with separate sitting room, immaculate bathroom and very quiet. And our room was on the third floor overlooking the infamous courtyard.

The whole story around "Juliette's Balcony" is a little strange and it makes the approach to this hotel slightly bizarre. Personally we didn't find making our way through the crowds to be a problem and in exchange for this we found ourselves right in the centre of the old city. And when you get into the hotel it's an oasis of calm.

There are effectively no public areas in the hotel. Was this a problem for us? Definitely not for us. There is no restaurant but why wouldn't you want to go exploring? (And we had an excellent dinner around 50 metres away from the hotel - thanks to Tripadvisor of course). Breakfast was served in our room and featured most things you could want including freshly cooked eggs and bacon, fresh fruits etc)

Would we return? Yes definitely because this was one of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in...... And to be honest, for a city centre hotel in Verona in August it was pretty good value in my book.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
Reviewed 25 August 2014

To be completely honest, I am kicking myself for not reading the bad reviews before deciding to spend €520 per night on two nights at this hotel to celebrate our Silver wedding anniversary.

The hotel is very centrally located and only a 5 minute walk to the arena. Our room was large and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was small but modern and mostly clean. [The next visitor might like to see whether the word “dust” has been cleaned off the glass bathroom shelf] The bed was comfortable and we would have liked to spend more time in it!

Beyond this you will have to decide for yourselves whether you feel that this hotel is worth the outlay.

Please read the bad comments about the scrummage necessary to fight your way through the archway that leads to Juliets balcony and the courtyard itself where the entrance to the hotel is situated - it’s all true! It really is quite bizarre that the fiction that is Romeo and Juliet has lead to this “most famous in Italy” (quoted by staff member) landmark. Equally odd is that thousands of tourists feel it appropriate to daub the walls with their used chewing gum and I find it especially strange that this hotel considers sitting in the midst of this at night (with tourists pointing cameras at you through the gates) might be a romantic selling point. Additionally, that you might like to pay an additional €100 for a bottle of Prosecco and some finger food for the privilege.

I like a bright airy room. First job, open the net curtains. Second job, open the windows. Third job, shut them again because the noise from below was unbelievable! I booked our room because it had a balcony. In my mind, we would get up late and drink coffee sitting outside in the sunshine in our hotel dressing gowns. Not a chance in hell! For one, there are no chairs or a table on the balcony and two, the gates open at 8.30am - even on a Sunday - and from that point on, the tourists below are all having a good gawp - oh and cheering at the “statue breast grabbing”! On Sunday morning I was walking across the room when I realised that a young man visiting Juliets house across the courtyard was pointing a lensed camera at me through an open window and I was in my night clothes as we had inadvertently left one of the net curtains open. This is neither private nor romantic.

And now for the little gripes:
There is no restaurant - as noted by other reviewers so you really are limited to a set time and menu for breakfast. The food wasn't bad at all but they didn't manage to keep the hot food warm under an upturned plate and the bread was stale both days. We ordered a lot of food, partly because we didn't know what it would be like and partly so we could make snacks for the day and it was the only thing that was complimentary at this hotel. Besides, we were having breakfast ridiculously early so that we could sit with the curtains and the balcony doors open before all hell let loose down below.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. The staff will of course fetch you either for (I think) €4 plus a €6 delivery charge. If money is no object, this wont worry you at all.
There is no ironing board - this service is also at an additional cost.
There is no complimentary drinking water - we assumed that the tap water was safe???
The internet didn't work. My husband spent our 2 hours of pre-going out rest time trying to get a connection - and you can imagine how that affected our “happy vibes”. [Note to hotel staff: My husband has moved the wireless router that he found behind the dresser and now it works!]
As noted by other reviewers, the card that provides entrance to museums for free is useless if the museums are closed. The staff do not appear to be informed as to when this might happen and it seems that they feel no obligation to actively find out before giving you directions.

All in all, I like many other reviewers should have done my homework before booking. Although Relais De Charme Il Sogno Di Giulietta is not a bad hotel, it certainly isn't worth the money. I wont be booking this hotel for my next visit to Verona neither will I be recommending it to any friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from Juliets balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Witchelise
Rye, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a place for the very romantic or the very inexperience traveler. It does have a great location but you will have to climb over the tourists blocking the entrance because of the phony Romeo and Juliette setting. Next there is a small lobby and no place to turn around in. Yes each level has a place to sit but it is not on entrance level. The breakfast is brought to the room and expensive and there is no restaurant. The staff is friendly sometimes and hostile if asked for something. If you are young and romantic this can be a good place to be. Otherwise it is not worth the money. The jacuzzi bath tub did not work.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I worried this hotel would be too touristy, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is very, very nice. The staff was so helpful even carrying our luggage two blocks to a cab. This is in the Old Town although a cab can get you within two blocks. Great beds, awesome baths and great working air conditioner. It was great having private access to Juliette's balcony, as the courtyard during the day is extremely crowded. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mg958
Chale, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a lovely little hotel which exudes luxury in every respect; from the Bulgari toiletries, the antique furnishings and the whirl pool bath. The staff are excellent; helpful, friendly and courteous. They remembered who we were and which room we were staying in, nothing was too much trouble.

Our room, with a vast and comfy four poster bed, overlooked Juliet's courtyard, which was rather crowded especially in the afternoon, but this didn't detract from the experience.

The Arena is about 5 minutes' walk from the hotel, the Castelvecchio about 10. There are many lovely restaurants nearby and the hotel staff are happy to make recommendations and book tables.

We had an excellent 3 night break at Il Sogno di Giulietta and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Very nice rooms with very comfortable beds. The rooms are large not typical European but the place is expensive. The location is in the middle of everything - close to Piazza Erbe and 5 minute walk to Piazza Bra and the Arena. Be warned that it is difficult to get to the hotel with all the tourists flocking to Juliet's courtyard and it can be difficult to get to. Sometimes I would just cut through the store it would be quicker. However at 7:30 they lock the gate and you have to be let into the courtyard. This is the best time to take pictures by yourself. The tourists will be there outside the gates taking pictures of you in the courtyard. There is no lobby just a desk. The concierge is my opinion needs some work. We wanted to go to Lake Gurda for the day and they told us to take taxi/trains. It cost us alot of money. We found out we could take the bus and it cost just a few euros. Italy in my opinion lacks customer service in general compared to other European countries so this did not surprise me. It did upset me because he specifically told me the bus would not be easier but it was as it dropped us off right in Sirmione. If you just want to spend the night - this is the location. Make sure you know what you want to see and do and you will be fine. Would give a 5 star otherwise.

Room Tip: Our room had construction nearby which they did not tell us. We get up early so it wasn't much o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marienjnj
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We asked for a room with a balcony facing the city and we got it and loved it. The original price quoted was too high. I booked the same day and they gave us a deal when I asked. Our room was 2 levels and the main level was the best one. It had double french doors onto a balcony facing Verona. Breakfast is brought to your room and the coffee was some of the best we had on our whole trip.
Service was also excellent and you get 2 free museum and attractions cards for some city sites.
I was not happy with the bathroom. There is a perfect jacuzzi tub but the shower is also in the tub. The tub walls are deep and its difficult to get out of the tub without sliding. It feels awkward showering in there.
I would likely return.