“Quirky decor in the heart of the city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Coloniale

Casa Coloniale
Ranked #299 of 415 Verona B&B and Inns
chichester
“Quirky decor in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Right in the centre of the city of Verona as everyone says just off Piazza Erbe, a spit from the (entirely false) Juliette balcony and easy walking to most of the must-see sights, opposite the old university building. Does what it says on the tin, bed (which was very good king size) in a large airy room 1 floor up from street level with a balcony. the very large full height window double glazed and outside that the usual european shutters. Cannot understand why that would be noisy? Good modern bathroom and OK you have to walk about 50 metres to get the breakfast in Luca's cafe. breakfast was a bit stingy, but there is plenty of choice. As always it helps to have a go in Italian and not to expect Corn Flakes, bacon or tea.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet head for the hills - it is in a city centre. Not everyone likes that
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed in the green room for 4 nights. Accommodation is comfortable, clean, good bathroom and shower, wifi, lovely big bed. Room had a quaint balcony from which you can see Pizzia Erbe. The road outside the window can be quite busy and noisy but once the double glazed doors were closed we had an excellent night's sleep hearing nothing at all. Breakfast served in caffe coloniale was typically Italian and a great way to start the day with good coffee and pastries and friendly service whilst sitting outside in the sunshine watching the world go by. We had a fabulous stay and would certainly recommend to anyone wanting a great value city break.

Room Tip: Green room was first floor with balcony and great views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

I have never experienced such a hotel in all my life !!! VERY NOISY outside and inside... Doors slamming also during the night...The door of my room was very thin and I could hear all the conversations in the lobby at all hours of the day and night! The only positive thing was the Wi-Fi... The breakfasts are to be taken in a cafe some 200m from the hotel. Never again!!!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Verona hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Would recommend the casa coloniale to anyone looking for a short break in Verona. Location couldn't be better, just off the main piazza, but not noisy at night. Aircon and wireless both worked a treat and the room (we took the green room) was lovely, especially the bathroom (great shower too). Very reasonable charge and eating breakfast at the caffe coloniale made a perfect Italian start to the day.

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Casa Coloniale for 2 nights, we requested the green room and were very happy with it. The room felt light and airy, it was spotless and the bed was comfortable. There are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. We walked from the station with the help of some iphone navigation but it is about a 20 min walk so you may want to get a taxi.

On arrival there was no one there to let us in but I called the number on the door and reached Luca who sent someone to let us in. The lady did not speak any english and was not particularly friendly but that may have just been the language barrier!

We would definitely stay here again if we return to Verona!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

I have been invited in Verona by a Client who paid for my stay.
He rented for me the basement room at Casa Coloniale where I really couldn't stop.
I called at 4 in the afternoon but anybody was available to show me the room, they just let me have the keys. When I arrived there at midnight I discovered that my room was a king-bed sized room in the basement, accessible by an extremely dangerous iron stair, with cold air coming from the small window at the roof (at the street level), awful smell of sewer water, no side table or lamps to read.
The bathroom has been cleaned very roughly (a plastic bottle cap stayed beyond the lavatory), and no phone coverage.
I went away (to a nice hotel called Accademia), so I didn't exactely sleep there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PaolaMissLondon
frankfurt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

Verona is beautiful and so is Piazza Erbe. But we will not stay in Casa Coloniale again. When I came across it on the internet both the room & location appealed. As it is so "downtown" we decided we needed to be on the top floor to have as little street noise as possible. So I sent an email asking for the camera viola (violet room). Luca replied it was available on the requested dates. I confirmed the reservation of camera viola and transferred the deposit. We asked him for recommendations on restaurants - I thought we should make reservations in advance. But Luca said he would tell us upon arrival and it would be no problem. Anyway, we arrived on Friday evening and were greeted by Luca's mother, a friendly lady. She took us to our room. When she opened the door it was the green room, on the lower floor. So I told her we reserved the violet room. "Oh no no no - there is another lady staying in that room!" To cut a long story short: we ended up in the green room, after being reassured again and again it was a quiet street and the rooms were exactly the same.

What followed was us going to the recommended restaurant only to find out it was full (we ended up in an uninteresting pizzeria), and then the worst night sleep in a long time. Of course the street was not quiet at all, with people and traffic until well after 2 am. The room is fairly small, light (no blackout curtains) and built like a tunnel. The bed and bedding were average at most, the pillows really uncomfortable. The shower was ok though. We never saw Luca that weekend. On Saturday I immediately bought earplugs in the local farmacia (7 euro) and made reservations for dinner in a great restaurant (La Vecchia Fontanina). Because of this our weekend in Verona ended on a positive note. But next time we will either go to hotel Accademia or look for a really charming bed & breakfast with honest and personal service.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple