All reviewssecond buildingpiazza braquiet streetsmall hotel with only roomsthe main hotel buildingnearby attractionscoat hangerscontinental breakfast issuperior double roompastriesplenty of hot waterlovely hotelexcellent locationstorage spaceverona arenawalk in showerstayed for nights
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We spent just one night at Marco Polo - we had spent a week at lake Garda and wanted to stay in Verona before going home.

The hotel was a lovely surprise! We reserved the room in January and it was a real bargain - less than 100 euros per night. The room was big enough and the bathroom was among the best we have ever seen in a hotel! We would have loved to stay longer so that we could have been able to use the spa services.

The only minus is the breakfast. It's too modest compared with the rooms and the professional, attentive and friendly service at the reception.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SariHK
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I paid €339 for a Double room on a B&B basis in June. I thought this price was quite good during Opera season.
If you want to sight see or attend the Verona Arena in Verona than this hotel is perfectly adequate.
The hotel is very easy to find off the main Corso Porta Nuova, and it is about 5 mins walk to the Arena, and about 15 minutes walk to the train station (if you have a very light and easy to manage suitcase). If you have a large suitcase, then you will be better off getting a taxi to the station - 5 minutes trip - €10 + tip.
This cannot really be described as a hotel. All it provides are bedrooms, a very small reception and a breakfast room. Nothing else. It could be described more as a B&B. There is no guest internet PC, but they did tell me that wi fi is available. I cannot confirm if this is the case or not and whether they charge for it, or not.

When we checked in (which was quite efficient and the receptionist was friendly and spoke english well), we were immediately relocated to another building down the street (not far). Alarm bells immediately started ringing in my head, having read previous reviews on TA, I recalled that they had relocated other guests to Hotel Mastino on Corso Porta Nuova. However, we were not relocted to Mastinoi but to another building and there on the second floor was our room which was very new, very clean and tastefully decorated. This is the only reason I did not complain about not being in the main hotel building. There is however some connection between this hotel and the Hotel Mastino, as the toiletries in our bathroom had the Mastino Logo !!

The room had a very comfortable bed, good Air Con, a very nice bathroom with small jacuzzi bath, but no shower (a small hand held shower head is located in the bath itself). There is good storage space, a small fridge, security safe and widescreen TV.

There is a lift in this building and also a stairwell. On the ground floor and just in side the door sits the grumpiest security guard I ever came across. During our two day/ two night stay we never determined what his role was exactly. Note to Hotel Marco Polo. This guy is supposed to be monitoring the building - for most of the time that we were there he was never at his desk. This is surely a security risk to the guests at the hotel. I saw a number of people 'tail gating' guests who had security cards to get in. I can see security issues here if they hotel does not address the situation there sooner rather than later.

The building that we were in has a Spa centre and my wife declared the prices to be very good for what was on offer. We nearly indulged, but time didn't allow.

Breakfast: Buffet breakfast is provided in the original hotel building. The breakfast room is very small, so a lot of squeezing has to be done between tables when it is busy. The breakfast choice is fine, standard buffet items, the only cooked item being scrambled eggs and ham. The breakfast room attendant, is very pleasant and he does his very best to keep everything topped up in what must be difficult circumstances for him.

Check out was a little slow, as there is only ever one receptionist on duty therefore if any chec king out guests have issues then other guests in the queue get delayed. Having said that, I found the receptionist to be very helpful at all times.

Note to hotel - please provide a corkscrew in the rooms. There is a bottle opener but no corkscrew.

Note to guests: I recommend the really lovely fish restaurant just a few metres from the hotel called '19 San Antonio' (i think that's the name, but you can't miss it). The meal there was the best we had in Verona and Ernesto the waiter was excellent. Be aware however that because it is a fish restaurant - well it only serves..........................!!

We also attended 'La Traviata' at the Arena on one of the nights and while each ticket was WELL north of €100 I would thoroughly recommend this outdoor opera extravaganza to everyone - at least once. It was a stunning night out.

Would I stay there again - yes, if it was for 1 or 2 nights, anything longer than that and I'd be searching out a full hotel with more facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new 'Gallery Rooms'
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bryno
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Upon arrivail i was pleasantly supprised by the quality of the decor it felt more like a 4 star than a 3 star. The reception area was styled like a roman villa complete with frescoes on the walls and i was not dissapointed when got to our room.
We were on the top floor and the room was lovely nice sized bathroom with a great shower and being located on a side street meant we had a quite room and therefore a good nights sleep. The room was well impressive with its style, beams to the ceiling quality bedding and general furniture gave impression was def more than a 3 star.

Breakfast was again very good with a good selection to cater for all, the amount of choice on offer to me again gave me the impression it was more 4 star than 3 i would def recommend this hotel which is about a 7-10 minute walk from Verona train station There is a spa across the road which guests can use, we didnt so cant comment on the facilities there in my review. I hope to return next summer for the opera season and will def put this hotel forward for my stay to friends.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank stevejb4u
Reviewed 25 May 2011

we had a boutique room in the annex which was a really large size compared to previous italian city hotels. the reception staff were fantastic and even said hello as we passed in the street in verona. breakfast is very good and can be brought to your room if desired. 5 mins walk from piazza bra and the arena di verona if watching the opera (not on while we were there) Verona is a beautiful city for shopping and cafe culture, we felt very at ease and was welcomed into even the most 'local type' bars and caffe's with a basic grasp of italian.

shopping is excellent for the famous italian brands

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steviec82
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The room looks new and is clean. The bed is comfy. Hotel is located near the arena and less than 15 minutes walk from the railway/bus station (Porta Nuova), but Verona is a pretty small city anyway. Breakfast is pretty good. There is a restaurant right in front of the hotel, which i think offer good enough food with reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple