“I would go to another hotel”

Grand Hotel Des Arts
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The price is way above what it should be based on the hotel.

Service is rather ok, but not at the level of a 4 stars hotel.
It has no charme and the rooms are small.
Room service is fast.
Rooms are clean.
House keepers probably forgot to set the room for the night and to clean the toilette in the afternoon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
grandhotelverona, Responsabile reception at Grand Hotel Des Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Mr. Renato,
thank you for writing a feedback in English on Tripadvisor too.
As I wrote you in private, I apologize first of all for the inconvenience.
Despite you asked the front office to have the couverture service in the evening, this service was not given since the maid heard the tv on in your room and she thought wrongly not to knock on your door.
I stay at your disposal
Grand Hotel

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Des Arts

Reviewed 30 May 2013

In the marvelous and classy city of Verona there is a Hotel that provides you everything that you need in order to enjoy your stay and the breathtaking atmosphere of the most beautiful (in my opinion) city of the northern Italy.
Great service, polite and helpful staff but an unforgettable morning buffet, not only for the variety but also for the quality of the food. The room was a bit small and the bathroom also but the facilities and the hospitality was great. Very clean hallways and of course every day cleaning in our chamber. Ask the receptionist for everything and they will provide it to you. Don’t hesitate to rent a bicycle in order to make a ride in the marvelous Ancient City of Verona and her surroundings. It is free of charge!!
Keep in mind that there is a ten minute walk to the Verona Arena, that is the centre of the Ancient City.

Room Tip: Try to find available the deluxe double room, is a bit more spacious from the standard and not so ex...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Very near gate to city center. Parking is included, a real plus in this busy tourist destination. Staff very attentive and helpful. Outside signage limited and easy to miss this hotel when approach by car on the busy street. My room a bit small but my traveling companion's room a larger size. Both were the same price, so many ask for biggest room at check-in.
We had arranged to meet Italian friends driving from Modena and asked the front desk clerk to suggest a nearby but non-touristy restaurant. All arranged very satisfactorily including getting us a last minute cab in the rain.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My partner an I spent two nights at the Grand Hotel at the end of April 2013.
We found the staff professional and extremely helpful and the room we were allocated delightful.
The hotel is well positioned for sightseeing and the local tour bus stop is just across the road.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a view choose a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had originally booked a room in the B&B Arte nel Centro across the street, but ended up here due to an overbooking situation. While our rooms were very clean and well-appointed, the staff very professional, and the building lovely, we had a few strange experiences. The worst was that my sister had to catch a very early flight from the Verona airport and arranged for a wake-up call and a cab the night before. I received her wake-up call at 3:30am even though I was staying in a different room. THEN I received a "where-the-heck-are-you" call half an hour later when she was apparently on her way down to the front desk and they were wondering where she was (even though I had grouchily explained to them that they had the wrong room when they called the first time!). Moments after they called the cab for her, my sister asked if the cab would be able to take a credit card and they said they didn't know and she should have asked sooner. She asked if they could call back and specifically request a cab that could take credit cards and they flatly refused. The cab DIDN'T take cards and she had to have him drive her to three different ATMs (in the rain) before she found one that worked with her American card so that she could pay him to take her to the airport--which made her nearly miss her flight. The worst, however, was that at some point after my sister left--around 6am, someone keyed into my mother's room (she was staying with my sister), waking her up. When she nervously called out "hello?" in the darkness, the door snapped shut with no explanation. They probably just thought the room was empty since my sister had left earlier that morning and were coming in to do cleaning (maybe?), but it was still a rather creepy, unnerving experience for my mother! I'm sure this is a fine establishment and that our experiences were fairly isolated, but it did put a sour note on our stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bethany B

Dear Bethany,
I apologize for the bad experience you had at Grand Hotel.
Sorry if I answer you so late but there is a lot to do because of the Opera period.
I tried to understand what's happened that night bu I still have a little confusion not being there.
No excuses for the false wake-up call and for opening a still busy bedroom :-( .. I beg your pardon!
Regarding the taxi I inform you that it's sometimes hard to have one which accepts credit card even during the day ...

Please contact me directly if you wish to come back to Verona someday... it will be my great pleasure to organize a stay for you.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Grand Hotel Verona for three nights in Mid december 2012. This was part of a birthday trip for my wife. The location of the Grand was just right for us as it was a fifteen minute walk from the station and about ten minutes into the old part of town. Being just before Christmas the old town was full of a variety of interesting Christmas markets. The room was of high standard and provided all the facilities that one might expect. The breakfast area provided a substantial choice of food and drinks and the food was of good quality. A really nice unexpected touch from the hotel was when we returned to the room late afternoon on my wifes birthday there was a card and smal gift for her from the hotel. This i think is a good example of the good care taken by this hotel of it's guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
grandhotelverona, Responsabile reception at Grand Hotel Des Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Thank you Graham_Linda for your review.
It was a pleasure for us to make a surprise to you and your wife ... We like when clients appreciate our service.
Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Although we only stayed one night I enjoyed this hotel. There was an atmosphere with the hotel that was pleasant. From being shown our room by the receptionist who then offered tea and coffee making facilities (much appreciated) to the fast and cheap WiFi we felt comfortable here. The rooms are a little small (specifically the bathroom in our room) but this was not too bad. The breakfast was great and the staff overall very helpful. We will return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike,
New Zealand is far away but I hope to welcome you as soon as possible ... to offer you a nice room with a big bathroom!
Every room is different from the other at Grand Hotel but now that we know your preference, we will be glad to satisfy your taste next time you come to Verona.