“Handbag stolen from Dining Room - staff totally not bothered”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Verona - Fiera
Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here on a short business trip. My handbag was stolen from the breakfast room so missed all meetings as had to spend the day going to Milan to get a replacement passport to get home.

The staff were really unhelpful, at one stage my sisted had to ask them not to be so rude to us. When I asked if it had happened before, apparently it had a few months previously. They kept referring to my "lost" handbag and really didn't care that it had been stolen. I asked to see the CCTV footage for the area and was surprised that they had so few surveilence cameras.

Generally, I wouldn't comment but I really wouldn't like to think of anyone having such a horrible time in such a wonderful city. Appart from my passport, I had my phone, purse, diary and some sentimental items in my handbag.

Overall, I definitely would not recommend this hotel and was surprised at the staff and security of the hotel, especially for a global brand like Crowne Plaze

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank paul w
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear paul w,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Recently opened, rooms are well decorated, easy accessible and free parking. Neighborhood is a big dodgy though.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MPH010
Reviewed 31 May 2012

When we first arrived at the hotel, we thought that it was situated in an odd location. It is in an area of light industrial units, which we found unattractive, although the area felt very safe. We were told on arrival that it was safe to park the car outside the hotel. Now, having thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we found the location to be near perfect. It is close to the Autostrada and easy to get to, while also being just a 10 minute drive into the old city. Parking in the old part of the city is easy and inexpensive. If you don't want to take your car, the hotel does offer a limited shuttle bus service.

The hotel is modern, very clean, attractive, and architecturally interesting. The room was excellent, beautifully furnished and comfortable. Super bed. Great shower in the delightful bathroom. The hotel is much more reasonably priced than the city center ones and offers excellent value for money.

Service throughout our stay was of the highest quality. Overall, it was one of the better hotels we stayed at during our 3-week vacation in Europe. No hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FredBramble
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The hotel is very big & modern, has a cool bar; spa & nice pool in the top floor. The rooms are big, the bed is very comfortable and they leave you in each pillow a special relaxation scent to sleep better at nigh, the bathroom was also big with a very nice shower, and with all the amenities. The hotel is not in the center of Verona is approximately 3 miles away, however the hotel has a courtesy bus service from 8 am to 9pm that take you to the city center and pick you up, is just perfect, the city is beautiful and you can find nice restaurants & going to the concerts at the arena. if you are traveling by car the parking is free.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adriana B
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I had a really enjoyable stay at this new hotel. Whilst other hotels in the city centre were looking for about £120 per night when I booked, this hotel was around £60 including breakfast. The hotel is located outside of the city centre, perhaps 2.5 miles however the hotel does provide a courtesy bus to the centre (3 in the morning, 3 in the evening). It's a very easy 45 minute walk if you're up for it.

The hotel rooms are very nice, with some neat little gadgets here and there (electric blinds etc). It's very soundproof. There is a lovely, small indoor swimming pool and steam room on the top floor aswell as an outdoor terrace for lazing in the sun.

As its located in an industrial area there are limited dining options in the immediate area, although the hotel has a restaurant and there is a good restaurant/deli next door.

A taxi from the airport takes around 10 minutes.

Being outside of the city centre wasn't really a major obstacle and I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I booked my stay here with Groupon and there was no trouble with my voucher. I arrived in the middle of night and found my room to be beautifu and comfortable. I absolutely adored the bathroom which was very modern with a ceiling shower plus a hand held wand. The spa was amazing. We were often the only people using it. It was a shame that it was only open until 9pm as the views from the spa were incredible and I would have loved to have seen it at night. The gym was basic. Two treadmills, two bikes, a multi use weight machine and self-assemble free weights. It was OK if you just wanted to run or cycle but not for exercise buffs. I would suggest the Virgin Active, which is in the building next door. I didn't eat here as breakfast was not included in my deal and would have cost 18 euros per person per day! We ate at a coffee bar nearby where pastries cost a couple of euros each. The only major gripe I have is that internet is not included in the price of the stay and costs 15 euros for 24 hours.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. The staff were friendly and sorted out an issue when my airport transfer arrived 6 hours early! I would strongly recommend this hotel, especially for business travel. Easy access to the city centre. The public transport seemed reliable, however a taxi into the centre was 10-15 euros. I plan to return next year, as I loved it so much. Excellent hotel if you want somewhere quiet, out of the way but easily accesible.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clara2205
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Beautiful, modern, new hotel located about 10 minutes from the city center. We only went into the city for one day so the distance was not a problem, but I could see how many people would not like the location. it was perfect for business. It is right next door to a virgin active, and a nice wine bar. The hotel restaurant is overpriced and mediocre- eat elsewhere. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the spa on the top floor is fantastic with a chromatherapy shower, thelassotherapy pool and steam bath. The hours for the gym are poor though (closes at 9). The gym should be 24 hours. And the spa should be in operation more than 3 hours a day! Wi-fi in the rooms, but it is not free and they charge per device not per room so it can get pricey to stay connected (not a good feature for a business hotel!) But overall a great stay- would totally stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business