“Fed up with the standard Italian fare??? Look no further”
Review of Retro Bar - CLOSED

Retro Bar
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Breakfast, Cash Only, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An unusual bistrot just beside the main cathedral where to take a break at any hour, from a slow food lunch to a tipical Italian aperitif. Our food & wine selection is inspired by semplicity: thursday-friday-saturday open for dinner, booking requested.
Oxfordshire, England
“Fed up with the standard Italian fare??? Look no further”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stumbled upon this place after visiting the Duomo, which is across the road. Naturally hesitant about eating in places close to tourist sites, I wasn't expecting much when we paused to look at the 'menu' notices pinned up outside. But am soooooo glad we did. Whilst Italian food is one of my favourites I find many places offer a standard fare and often not much if you're veggie (we're not but really like good veggie food) and definately nothing if you're vegan.

The friendly woman who served us spoke excellent English and some French, I think. We ate inside as it was just too hot to sit in the delightful courtyard out the back. The whole place lives up to it's 'retro' name with pieces of bric a brac, an area of seating where you could take a drink and read a book, old wooden crates for shelving and the fruit juice I had (more of that later) came in a glass jar with a lid! (Seems this is the 'thing' in Verona (Italy?) as we were served a Campari spritz in another bar in a jar too. Not sure about this trend. Spritz in a jar doesn't feel right to me but I digress!).

As we were flying home later that day we had decided to make this our main meal of the day and started with a small plate of cold meats and 2 types of cheese to share (they also do a large size) but a small one was plenty for 2 to share. My husband then had spaghetti with a duck ragu and I followed with fennel spaghetti with beetroot sauce which was a lovely vivid pink colour. There were also dishes such as chickpea and vegetable burgers (vegan) and gluten free pasta on the menu as well as various polenta dishes and salads. People nearby ordered sandwiches and they looked really nice too so there was something for everyone. My husband had a glass of wine and I had a fruit juice of apple, carrot and ginger which was delicious. Husband had a dessert - lemon sorbet with prosecco but also on the menu were various filo pastry tarts and tiramisu done in a semi-freddo way, so a little different from the ubiquitous one.

And the price for all of this? 39Euros which for a main meal for 2 is pretty good value.

This is a place I'd definately be a regular of if I were living here. Lovely relaxed atmosphere and highly recommended.

• Visited August 2014

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing place”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Found this lovely place one day for lunch. Was getting a bit fed up of only having pizza & pasta options so we saw this had gluten free & veggie options instead! Our waitress was friendly and had excellent English with an English menu too. I had a 'digestive drink' of orange, carrot & ginger and my boyfriend had a small hot punch which were both delicious. I ate sweet potato noodles with summer stir fried veg which was scrummy and my boyfriend had a local delicacy of horse meat stew and polenta which he said was good. We enjoyed the food so much we went again a few days later for a full 3 course meal! We had a local meat and cheese board, which was nice. I ate asparagus risotto which was nice but a bit al dente for me. For afters we shared a chocolate & pear filo tart with some ice cream. Godly! I also had a spritz - a yummy local alcoholic drink. Can't recommend it enough! Reasonable prices, excellent service and lovely food.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank KathrynRB
Hertford
“Quirky, environmentally friendly & good for veggies”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Wanted a meal before the opera so booked a table through Facebook. The owner was very friendly and the selection of vegetarian dishes fantastic compared to everywhere else we had been in Italy. I can recommend the asparagus risotto followed by the tiramisu together with Prosecco - delicious.
It is the sort of place I would use regularly if it was local.

• Visited July 2014
“Found it by accident! ”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Found this little place while walking around Verona, amazing fresh salads and meat/cheese board. We also enjoyed a cheeky bottle of local wine before heading to do more sightseeing. Very relaxing atmosphere!

Switzerland
“Fabulous place! ”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Absolute gem in the centre of Verona run by a couple, she is vegan herself and provides a great service speaks good english and he cooks. Pity we could not taste pizzas or vegan burger as came for a late lunch but what we tried was a not typical Italian but also good. Great to sit on little tables outside people watching right by the Dome. Nice cappuccino with almond milk although comes already sweet-next time need to ask not to sweeten it! Recommend!

1 Thank augusta_ca