“Good location”
Review of Hotel Fiera

Hotel Fiera
Ranked #52 of 79 Hotels in Verona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

First it is a bit out of verona. It's about 15 mins to train station and a further 10 to piazza bra. there is a handy bus stop right outside hotel which takes you to the centre. otherwise it is excellent. Good room with comfy bed and good bathroom. Breakfast really good and good wifi. Would stay again but it's a little bit outside.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is a great hotel for a good location for traveling around the Veneto region. The train station Porta Nouva is a 5 minute drive and a 10 minute drive to the city centre. You can also catch a bus to the city centre opposite the hotel, the buses are pretty frequent and are cheap.
The hotel staff we found to be very friendly despite some of the reviews and the breakfast selection is excellent.
Our room was very nice, spacious, clean and had a balcony.
I would stay at this hotel again, however I would incorporate as a driving holiday.
Excellent for business guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was in Verona for 2 nights when travelling Italy with a friend of mine this August. We had originally planned to stay at another hotel, but when on the phone to Expedia booking some other hotels our original hotel became full and the guy I was on the phone to at Expedia recommended the Hotel Fiera to me. I had a look on Trip Advisor and Expedia to check out its ratings, and for what we were going to be paying, I thought it should serve its purpose, but how I was wrong with our issues with this hotel starting within the first hour we arrived there!

When we booked, we knew that check in was at 2pm, but as our train was getting in at 12.30pm we knew that we would be arriving at the hotel early. However, by the time we got to the hotel (1.15pm) we decided that if our room was not ready, we might as well just wait for it to be. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we went over to the reception desk to let the staff know that we had arrived and ask if our room did happen to be ready. It wasn't, and the guy told us to take a seat and he would let us know when it was. By 2pm (the supposed check in time) the guy still hadn't come over to us, so after 5 minutes, I went back over to him to see what was going on - he simply replied by saying "as I mentioned before, I will be over when your room is ready". It was another 15 minutes before he came over to us to check us in, and then at least another 10 before he had finished faffing with our passports. He gave us no information about the hotel, didn't mention the city tax (although we were aware of this from booking) and when I asked him what time breakfast was, he told me the information was on the sleeve in which the key was in. We then went up to our room to change before we headed into the centre to have a wander, and when we came down we asked him about buses to the centre - in fairness, he was helpful then telling us what number buses we could and couldn't get, but still seemed to look at us disinterested and failed to tell us that you could only pay for the buses with coins.

Our room was basic, it was clean with outdated decor, but I can't say there was really anything wrong with it. However, when we returned to the hotel at night, about to go to sleep, we discovered that we were unable to turn the Air Conditioning off! We thought that perhaps it was broken, but when we asked reception the next morning, he told us that it could only be controlled by reception - we decided to leave it on for the day, and would ask them to turn it off the following night when we were about to go to sleep. However, when we asked reception the next night to turn it off for us, he told us that you could only turn it off by opening the window - we did this, and sure enough it worked but then we had to put up with noise from the outside all night. On the first night, we also asked for an extra pillow, but the guy at reception told me that the hotel was full so there wasn't any spare... Surely this can't have been true!

On the first morning, we went down to breakfast quite late. There were some staff milling around, looking like they weren't doing much, so we just sat ourselves at an empty table (one of the few that didn't have dirty plates left on it). Breakfast was fine, there was a good selection and we were happy enough. However, because we were quite late, the staff began to clear breakfast away. Although we were not the only ones left in the breakfast room, we began to feel like we were in the way so just decided that we would take our fruit upstairs so we could eat it whilst we were getting ready. This was a BIG MISTAKE! I understand that hotels do not want you filling your bag with food from the breakfast buffet and taking it away with you, but as we were walking out of the room we were confronted by a guy who told us that food could not be removed from the breakfast room and said to us "What do you think this place is? It is not a market, little girls!" - we're both 22! He told us that we had to either give them to him, or go back into the breakfast room to eat them, we couldn't believe the way we were being spoken to but decided to eat them (under his supervision, of course..) and then headed up to our room. When we arrived at breakfast the next day, we were glared at by the same guy, and felt really uncomfortable and unwelcome. We also noticed a family making themselves sandwiches and wrap them in napkins to take out with them, but no-one said anything to them!

At check out, we paid our city tax and that was it. We weren't asked how our stay was or anything, and probably thank god because I really was not impressed!

What upsets me the most about this hotel is that it was recommended to us by the guy at Expedia. I really can't say that there is anything horribly wrong with the hotel, but none of the staff were friendly, which I always find makes a massive difference to your experience. Also, it wasn't central, and if I go to Verona again I would definitely stay somewhere more central (and even if this hotel was central, I would choose it again). The hotel was clean, and was equipped with everything we needed for our short stay but more than anything I can't see how this has been classified as a 4* Hotel! We stayed in a 3* Hotel in Venice before we went to Verona, and it was much nicer, had better staff, was in a better location and we had an overall more pleasant experience.

I would urge you to really consider other options before booking this hotel, and if you do book it, I sincerely hope your experience is better than ours.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Verona hotels

Vancouver, bc Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I deliberately picked this hotel because of it's close proximity to the train station, and the reviews were so good. Before you read on, know that I take full responsibility for not knowing Italian (thus not being able to ask for directions from the locals) and for not doing my research before hand. Here's where it goes off the rails.
The room was like a dorm room, with creaky uncomfortable beds that felt like cardboard. The toilet didn't work. The wifi didn't work in the room.....which seriously impedes the ability to do research in how to get to the attractions.
When we arrived I asked for a map, which surprisingly wasn't offered like all other hotels in Italy. (Usually the front desk clerk gives you the map, shows you where the hotel is and briefs you on how to get to certain points........not here). They tossed the map on the desk and walked away. I looked at it, couldn't find anything that resembled where we were so asked where the hotel is on the map. To my chagrin, they told me it wasn't; in fact it was 3 km off the area of the map. When I tried to get an explanation on how to get to the attractions, we were told to hop in any bus in the area and it would take us there. After several questions as to what stop to get off at, direction etc, we were curtly told we'd know and that was the end of the conversation. We probed later after a bus disaster if there were bikes or scooters to rent, or any other way out, and they just said no. No other assistance, just no.
Unfortunately, anything good about the hotel, if there is anything, has been overshadowed by the rude an unhelpful staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ehningen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Reviewed 7 August 2013

nice, quiet, convenient hotel near the center, 30 minutes walking or 5 minutes by taxi, bus stop in front of the hotel;
good plain breakfast bufett, great variety, many juices, water, tea and coffee; scrambled eggs, bacon, bread, cakes, ham & cheese, everything you can think of

negative: only one elevator was in service; no swimming pool

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We werent in the hotel much.. But when we were it was clean and quiet and the staff was most accommodating.. It has a very personal feel. The front desk knows you as do the restaurant servers. Breakfast was great,and my teenagers were slow to get there each morning, but they brought out extra food for them.. Bus line right across the street..
I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher level room.There is less noise