“A fine place to stay in Verona”
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #40 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 6 November 2011

October 31 and November 1 we stayed at Hotel San Marco in Verona. We had tried to get something closer in the city but not much was available since this was a holiday weekend. The hotel is very modern looking, outside as well as inside. The rooms are very comfortable. The hotel is about a 25 minute walk from the downtown area. So we took taxis whenever we wanted to go there (cost about 10 euros each way). Hotel seems to be mainly for business people and buses with tourists. Breakfast was included and was fine. They even made scrambled eggs if you asked. Wifi was available at no cost in the room. The hotel has a restaurant which we had counted on to use. However because of the holiday (Nov. 1) it was closed both nights when we were there. There is not much in terms of restaurants near the hotel, so it was disappointing the restaurant was closed. If you do not mind a long walk or pay for a taxi to get to the city centre then this is a good hotel to stay in. We would recommend the hotel to others if staying in the center of Verona is not important to you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank samantha049
There are newer reviews for San Marco Hotel

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We found this hotel very easily after taking an airport bus to the Central station. The reception staff were not particularly warm or welcoming; but did their job adequately. The cleanliness was excellent, great jet spray shower with plenty of room. We were very disappointed when we went down for breakfast at 9.30am to find there was hardly any food left; a coach party had been and gone and the restaurant staff were clearing tables with no attempts to replenish the food supplies, even though there was another hour to go till breakfast was finished! The same thing happened the following morning so I asked if there was any hot food available and the waitress asked if I wanted scrambled eggs. As we were flying out later that day I felt we should eat something hot and we were given 2 plates (not a great amount) of runny scrambled eggs.
This really let us down, I am aware that some hotels do not include a breakfast of any sort but feel this hote should have anticipated and planned for the large numbers of guests. They seemed to give priority to the coach party. We were thankful we had not gone down for breakfast at the same time as them or we may have ended up in a scrum!
As said, disappointing for a 4* hotel.

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor overlooking main road but no probelms with noise (traffic or A/C)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank bobbysgirlSurrey
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

We have a very large breakfast room and can accomodate, if necessary, all the guests toghether sitting for breakfast. Buffet breakfast is always full available during the breakfast time (7.00-10.30),
and if something is not available on it , personnel will replace it asap. If you ask for espresso coffee, (Nescafè coffee is available on buffet) or eggs (no more hot buffet is available) we provide them free of charge, as the guest herself admits. Many times I personally assist to breakfast and see people not friendly asking in the presuntion we want to save money offering as few food as possible. I can assure (and you can verify) this is not the case, and sometimes I also see people incorrectly making sandwitches and putting them in the bags for lunch!
As a general rule in the hotels, more attention is for individual vs groups, (especially from personell, as it is easier to obtein tips from individuals) and the fact we pay the same attention to all the guests is for me positive. Not all the groups are like invasors, many times they have a more strict time-schedule program, but we have room and service enougth for all.
We will publish on our web-site complete list of all the products available on buffet, this is an anticipation: ham, salame, red ham PARMA (very expensive rarely available in hotel buffet), cheese, croissant, cake, bread, toast-bread (there is a toasting machine available) yogurth, cereals, muesli, biscuits, fresh fruit and fresh fruit-salade, selection of jam and honey, butter, fruit juice (orange, red orange, ananas or tropical mix), spring water, cold milk, hot milk, Nescafè coffe, hot Perugina (the best company in Italy) hot chocolate, hot water with a tea selection. Hot eggs, espresso coffee and italian cappuccino are available on request, without any supplement.
If you add from your side (sometimes) a little kindness being sure we will never leave you without your breakfast, you will start (as we always wish you) your day in the best way.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, hotel owner, musician and guitar maker

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have stayed here 3 times now. The hotel is lovely, the standard rooms are fresh and clean but the deluxe rooms are wonderful with good sized bathrooms featuring rainforest showers, spa baths and moodlighting. The staff are very helpful and pleasant, particularly the reception staff. The hotel is a great base to discover and explore Verona, being only 5 minutes away by taxi or bus (there is a bus stop right outside the hotel that goes to the train station and the Arena in the centre.) Venice is only an hour away on the train and is great to go and see.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank rp441
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I don't think this hotel lives up to expectations at all. It is classed as a 4 star spa hotel but as one of the other reviewers said, the hotel is really 3 star. The rooms are basic but are very clean (in fact the cleaning was a little over-zealous - you don't need to have your soap and shower gel products changed every day) and the staff were at worst unfriendly and at best indifferent. The hotel doesn't even possess a restaurant that is open every evening - we asked to eat and were sent to a pizzeria a few streets away. There is a good selection at breakfast, but unfortunately for us that was the only good thing about this hotel. The location of it is very far from Verona's city centre (30 minute walk to Castelvecchio and 40 minutes to Arena) and also far from the train station (30 minutes walk), so is only really good for visiting the football stadium. I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all - it is too far away from everything and does not deliver on the quality it promises.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

We are in the 3th millennium, and also have google earth and maps. If you can write a review, probably you are able to use google. We never say to be in the city center, we are 2.2 km from the Arena, 29 min walking (check maps, walking, not believe what I say). There are very few hotels with restaurant in Verona. Our restaurant is close on Sunday, from September-June, open all days in the summer season. We normally receive good reviews about staff, respect for our guests is not to be confused as unfriendly or indifferent, we all wait from you to understand if you accept a more friendly option: this is the only way to be professional. Tell me how many 3 star hotels in Verona or somewhere you know with a 800 sq mtrs fitness and SPA area, free cable and wi-fi connection, over 1000 tv international sat channels on digital tv LCD, a good breakfast, clean rooms with a good service (not me I am referring guest's opinion). Then, if you book the hotel out of the centre and then your wife is stressing you for the mistake, I can only give you my solidarity, but no more than this. Be happy.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, hotel owner, musician and guitar maker
PS I always show my name, my face and my passions, why you not?

Reviewed 22 August 2011

This was my second stay at the San Marco Hotel and it was as much a pleasure this time as last time. The staff are very helpful and accomodating and nothing is too much trouble. My group were made to feel welcome from the moment they arrived and although it was over 35 degrees outside, the hotel was lovely and cool. Rooms had airconditioning which was great and the outside pool was a lovely touch. The spa area, although I didn't use it was excellent and a great bonus when its not so hot outside. Although there is a daily charge for this, this is not unjustified in my view and I would consider 15 E a day to use spa facilities good value for money. The outdoor pool and gym are free of charge to residents. The breakfast was excellent - great choice for all nationalities and tastes and staff in the restaurant were efficient. Great bus service from across the road which costs 1E 20 and takes you directly to Piazza Bra. Bus runs every 20 mins. My group thoroughly enjoyed their stay at this hotel and we will certainly be returning next year !

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nissanessex
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Good hotel room, new and clean. Breakfast plenty of choice. Staff at reception were helpful. No computers you could use, but you could borrow their laptop for 3 Euros (an hour, I believe). The hotel has a pool. It is about half an hour to walk into the old town centre, but there is a bus that stops almost in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't know. I booked in advance, through an agency.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Carolinde
Reviewed 6 August 2011

This is a nice hotel - it probably ticks the boxes for 4 star, e.g. pool, spa (though you have to pay extra), etc, but it feels more like a 3 star. Given the price I would recommend staying here, although do be aware that it is a good 30 minutes walk to the city centre (Arena). This can be quite tiresome after a long summer day out in town. There is a quick bus (number 11) from the train station which takes about 10-15 minutes and goes every 20 minutes.

During the Opera season they do helpfully run a free shuttle bus which takes and picks you up near to the Arena.

Breakfast is OK - a fairly standard continental-style breakfast.

Free wifi always a bonus.

We also had to ask them to turn the air conditioning on 3 times - apparently it broke down the first night we stayed and it was a swealtering 26 degrees in our room. This was eventually sorted out, though confusingly we were told we had to close the curtains to achieve our desired temperature.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple