“OK”
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #41 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Pros - Its a clean hotel, not bad area, 30min walk into the main area (may not be good in the summer), buffet breakfast is Ok (same every day, scrambled eggs, cold meats, tea/coffee, cakes etc..)

Cons - Staff are Ok, they don't give you good directions for example when we asked where the bus to town was, we were told turn right out of the hotel and its there - what they meant is, turn right then after a few meters its on the left on the opposite side of the road (nice to be told) as we kept walking after we turned right looking for the bus!!!

WARNING - The Swimming pool & Spa are only available from the morning until 2pm for hotel paying guests, after 2pm you have to pay 15euros per person so for my family of four 60euros per day ... not cheap !!!! This is the time you would most likely to use the spa, after a hard day walking and sightseeing ......No-one told us this before booking.

Don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sammy1993RTW
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for your review. As the general comment is good, I will answer on the question about Spa services. We have to stay on a market getting cheaper and cheaper in which competitors are offering prices sometimes room only (no breakfast included) to be reached when you click and find accomodation on line. We have many inclusive services like free breakfast (every day the same, I can not understand the problem there is a good choice.....) free internet connection, free use of the outdoor pool (the only one in the town) and free access to indoor pool and fitness. SPA services have a very hard energetic cost, competitors cannot generally offer the service or they also ask for a supplement. On the hotel official web site (have a look) the supplement is clarely marked and we also have offers including SPA services. We can not manage all the resellers web site information but I am sure nowhere is writed "free SPA services". On your confirmation you had "bed and breakfast". If you book directly we will tell you the included services and supplements, I asked to famous on line booking companies to sell a package with SPA services and the answer was "we only sell basic services, supplements on spot". I really can not understand why, after choosing the hotel on the web, people do not contact hotels directly and possibly book directly; we pay hard commissions (15% min up to 40%!!!!) and if you book directly and ask for the services you are interested, many times you will have them in a package more interesting both for you and for us.....Let me say, to close, the bus stop to the center is 54 human steps far from the door and many times my staff go out of the door, when possible, to indicat it, under the only 3 trees out of the door!
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, hotel manager musician and luthier

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We booked the San Marco after reading various reviews on Trip Advisor. We wanted to stay within walking distance of the City and have the luxury of a pool to swim in. As I was travelling with my grown up kids (20 & 18) we needed two rooms so also were on a bit of a tight budget. In view of our requirements the San Marco was very good for us. We had rented a car as we wanted tot travel to Venice for the day and whilst the underground car park was 9 Euros a day we were able to park it on the front hard standing of the hotel for no charge. There is also a newly imposed Verona tax of 2 Euros per person per day.

The bedrooms were of a good size and pretty well appointed. The fact that there were no English channels on the TV was a bit boring but that meant we read books instead. The internet connection was boosted on every floor and this meant an excellent signal at no charge - perfect. On arrival we all wanted an extra pillow and this was delivered quickly and without fuss. The beds whilst large were a bit on the firm side. The bathrooms were a little tired in appearance but the shower was excellent with body jets included.

We used the pool 2 or 3 times which was very pleasant. There are sunloungers and tables by the pool but watch out for the mossies and the 2 Euro pool towel charge! We didn't use the Spa as there was an additional charge of 15 Euros per person.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was substantial and varied although the only hot item was the scrambled eggs which were not brilliantly cooked. The walk into town is a bit of a slog (probably half an hour) although it is worth doing at least once as it helps you get your bearings. The hotel is a little dated and some of the interior design is interesting to say the least but it is good value and provides a good base for exploring the City.

If you are here for as long as we were it might be worth considering bicycles (they have publicly provided bikes in Verona which are very good value and can be picked up and left at different places) or finding out more about the bus times - we did neither and ended up walking a very long way! On our day trip to Venice we followed advice to park at the Long stay Marco Polo airport car park and whilst the car park itself was brilliantly situated and a good price (6.50 Euros) the public Vaporetti to Venice was 127 Euros return for 4 of us which I thought was very expensive! Maybe consider driving to the Car Park near the rail terminus.

Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RobvCarr
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The San Marco hotel took us in at the last min through tourist information in Verona as our apartment was not fit to stay in.

The staff were a delight and very accomodating for ourselves and two teenage children. Clean bedrooms and bathrooms with excellent cleaning staff who were particulary helpful with the children who were in a separate room!

A tasty substantial breakfast in a light airy room. The lounges were comfortable, and we were free to sit here and play games and read without any requirements from staff to buy food or drinks constantly.

Frequent local bus service into Verona right outside the door.
Thanks to everyone at the hotel who saved our holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank margaretspps
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from a beautiful surprise 3 day break for my birthday, I did not know where we were going until 1Hour before the plane left. We arrived at the hotel at around 10.30. We used the hotels underground car park which was very secure. The porter informed us that the restaurant was closed (understandably as it was now 11.pm) but offered to order a takeaway Pizza for us which arrived 10minutes later. He supplied us with drinks hot and cold and was extremely courteous and helpful. The following day we caught the bus outside the hotel (1euro 20 )into Verona and walked around this beautiful city. In the evening we caught the shuttle bus into Veona to the Opera at the Arena, it was magical. We had a wonderful time and I would (and already have) reccomend this hotel to friends and family.Very Clean and lovely beds.

Room Tip: Room 301 was a lovely quite large room. Very clean lovely beds. Not near the lifts and very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ann G
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked the San Marco last minute and was disappointed with the hotel. It's more like a 3 * than a 4* hotel. In the booklet of information provided in the room they advise guests that irons are not allowed in the room for fire safety reasons. If you want to iron your shirt for the opera you have to get the maid to do it - at a cost of €5.50.

I wanted an explanation of this policy as I don't think I have been in a hotel that is afraid the guests will burn down the hotel with an iron. I asked to speak to the manager and he wasn't working the day I was there. The receptionist was quite rude and just said, that's the rule... It seemed just like another way to squeeze money out of guests. Location is not great, staff are not great, can't even get an iron in the room. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay in another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

There are safety rules for fire prevention, valid all over Italy. One of them is no ironing in hotel rooms. Pressing a shirt is a 15 minutes job, cost of personnell is about 17.50 euro per hour. Cost of 5.5 euro (including 10% taxes) is only a payback of expenses. To believe it can be a business is simply ridicoulus! And if all the claim is for the fact we follows safety rules and ask a pure refund for additional services, sorry.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana
Hotel manager, musician and luthier

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute because we wanted to see an opera at the Arena. It was convenient, because it was easily accessible by car, although it was a good 30 minutes walk to the centre. However, Verona is so beautiful, it was a beautiful walk. In the evening, the hotel offered a free shuttle service to the opera, which was extremely convenient, seeing that the opera finished at 1am.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucienS
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently in a group of 60 choral singers. It's a fairly nondescript alledgedly 4* hotel amidst boring suburbs of Verona. Those who walked into the centreof Verona in "15-20 minutes" must be very fast walkers - in 35 degree heat!
We had sung a concert near Lake Garda in 38 degree heat and got back to the hotel at about 11 pm desperate for a drink. The only member of the hotel staff on duty was the night porter. He had to issue everybody's keys, check in new arrivals, and twice was called away to repair lights in guests rooms! We were finally served with drinks after midnight! When I complained the next morning the receptionist blamed our tour manager for not warning the hotel that we would want a drink! The tour manger disputed this. I was then referred to the manger who was unapologetic and complacent. He said that we were very lucky to have got a drink at all as the bar usually closes at 11 pm. He could not be expected to staff the bar when nobody might want a drink! - in a 4* hotel! I got the impression that he had forgotten the primary purpose of a hotel, to serve guests, and was running it for his and his staff's convenience

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

I was waiting for this review, for the simply reason you will find on the end (so I am sure you will read all the story...) I accepted this group for a ridicoulous price only to grant collaboration for a very good travel agency we work with, and in consideration with the fact, being a musician, I am always happy to have guests involved in the music. So, instead of a thank you for having a 4 star hotel in high season on the price of a 1 star, I had this. But never mind. There are rules (officialy stated from the local autorithy): a 4 star hotel must grant a bar service of 16 hours during the day. Starting 7 in the morning to 11 in the night, we are perfectly right. Of course if necessary we keep the bar open later, normally not during this period, as people go to the opera and do not stay in the hotel; keeping the service over 11 would be only a staff extra cost. Well organized groups take in consideration the fact they move all togheter and advise about their needs to help us and the group to get the best service. The next night, (even if they advise me only in the evening....) I organized the bar service late night for the group, and only to give an extra courtesy (not for the inconsistent claim) I left free of charge drinks during the dinner they had in hotel!! I can not really accept this comment and the final consideration that is offensive, as I am a professional both as hotel manager and musician. I spoke with the oraganizer of the performance on the famous hot night (I personally gave contacts to the agency for the concerts in Verona ) and there was ready a free drinks after the performance, but somebody told them the group was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel. And spring water is available in the minibar in all the rooms. As to say, if claming is a need, it is a need. Next time I wish you to find the right service for the price you pay, with the courtesy you deserve.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, hotel manager, musician and luthier