“Great Hotel !”
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #41 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel during the opera season wtiha group and was really impressed . The staff were very helpful and courteous and the hotel provided a transfer coach from the hotel to the opera and back on opera nights.
I will definitely return wtih my group next year, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.
There is a lovely Osteria across the road, serving great food too !
Keep up the good work !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nissanessex
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2010

Thank you, I will be very happy to have your groups next year.
Is is a pleasure to receive a comment from a professional traveller, even if, of course, all comments are important for me.
I did not ask for it, and I still think it is not correct to invite guests to write about hotels, and also think it is more reasonable to have bad ones instead of good references.
Hotels are like the "secondi violini" in the orchestra, you will note them only if they are not right, if they play ok, you never tell them, you will remember the orchestra, the experience of the travel, emotions and passion, and I wish you this. I never or rarely take pictures travelling, they can not capture what I want to remember, but I keep a corner somewheare in mind where they can evolute and change like my life does.
And this is the opinion of Maurizio musician, but the other one, the hotel manager, understand the power of the web and, to satisfied and unsatisfied writers, thank you.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana
Hotel manager, musician and guitar maker

Reviewed 30 June 2010

We chose a slack week (no opera or conferences) and got an upgrade, so our three nights experience may be coloured by having an excellent room with a view over the pool and to the hills beyond.

The breakfast was absolutely fine (we don't understand other reviewers' grumbles): fresh fruit, always replenished, cereals, cold meats and cheese, yogurts, variety of bread including croissants, cakes, hot drinks including liquid chocolate in a cup.

Location - I did a recce, and though it's on the edge of town, it was very convenient. We arrived by bus from Lake Garda and got off about three minutes away on Via Milano). There's a local bus stop right outside the hotel (routes via the station into the city centre - routes 11 and 12 weekdays, 95 evenings and Sundays). We left the hotel at 9.15 and were at the airport (using bus to station and airport shuttle from the station) by 9.50.

Pool was the clincher, for there's not many in Verona hotels. Yes, it's on the north side, but in midsummer that means it's in sun until early afternoon, then just about catches some late evening rays. If there's a conference on, it's a bit public for a swim or sunning on the sunbeds, but my wife was joined by two women who were there for a day conference and came equipped to use the pool at lunchtime. I was out in town - ten minutes walk to Piazza San Zeno, then along the riverbank via Castellvechio into the heart of town. Used a one-day Veronacard (€10) to see most of the main sights.

Not much else in the immediate vicinity; there's a bar across the road doing pasta and paninis (and a small glass of wine for €1), but nearest nice restaurants are at San Zeno (one with a gastronomic menu for €40). We used the hotel restaurant each night - prices are very reasonable and a table by the pool was very attractive, and we didn't bother looking elsewhere.

Handy (five minutes walk) for the stadium (football and concerts) - but the Arena for the opera is a lot further. We did a day trip to Venice: bus just before 9, train to Venice, out of the station straight onto a waterbus on the Grand Canal, 6 hours there before the last cheap train back at 5 pm (€19 return first class). Vicenza, Padua, and Lake Garda are all accessible by public transport.

Wifi everywhere - they'll hire you a laptop if you haven't got one.

All we need now is another cheap flight to get us there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Warringtonian

Yes, I asked for a comment from this guest, as I had the pleasure to meet him and his lady personally, and hope it will be possible other times in the future, thank you.
When a guest ask for me I open my patience and diplomacy bag, prepare a smile (as true as possible) and wait for the problem.
So, please, if somebody want to meet me only for the pleasure I will have, do not ask for the manager, director, owner, ask for Maurizio, and if you play or love guitar, take your time, if not, it is never too late.
To satisfied and unsatisfied guests, thank you.
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, hotel manager, musician, guitar maker

Reviewed 23 May 2010

This hotel is a good 25 minutes walk from the centre the receptionist told us and not a nice area. The much vaunted spa costs £15.oo per person for each use and £5.00 for a bath robe we were surprised to get towels included. Breakfast was very poor everything of the cheapest the fruit bowl was filled once a week. I have never seen scrambled egg to equal it. They have no idea what an American breakfast is like this bore no resemblance. The rooms are poor we were given a horrible disabled room to start with although the hotel was half empty the door to the bathroom would not shut. We were moved on request it was better and clean but we spent the week trying to decide whether to move elsewhere. We used buses during the day but were advised by the hotel to use taxis at night. One night in Verona there were no taxis which resulted in near fights when one appeared not how you want to spend your holiday.
We love Verona and have been before but never the San Marco again

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiffy10
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Making up hotel description I never tell we are in the city center, and I can not believe a guest able to write a rewiew do not check hotel position on google maps, to see where it is located.
We really are a 20-25 walking distance from the arena, and if you walk on San Zeno church way, you will meet it on the way. I checked taxi company and they assure me there was no black out in service since years.
We do offer a very good selection in food, both breakfast and restaurant, first quality, from biological agricolture and italian production; we manage food for convention up to 400 people,
and had good references from thousands people; in the last week of May we served 1430 people in 4 days.
There is always a gap between client's taste and food type, I understand it, and I never find the food I like abroad, but new experiences are part of travelling.
Fruit-salade is made fresh every morning, and it is refilled when empty, if you need something not available at the moment on the buffet, you can ask for it and we try to satisfy requests with no extra charge.
SPA services are very expensive, only energy power for it costs more than 100 euro/day: we are the only hotel in Verona offering SPA and pool facilities, and keep very reasonable prices, so we ask an extra fee for additional services, it is well descibed on our web site.
We manage disabled rooms as normal ones, they are comfortable and plenty available for all guests, the idea is that handicap people are not a "B series" people and it is not offensive to offer this kind of room to other guests, it is on the contrary a way to remind how we are lucky
to have good health!
To satisfied guests, and not so, thank you for your contribute!
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana
Hotel manager and guitar maker

Reviewed 7 October 2009

My wife and I have just returned from 2 nights in this wonderful city. The hotel made up for our disappointments in Venice with professional service and very nice and comfortable rooms. As we were touring by train it was good to have the bus stops to get into town and to thye station right outside the hotel. I loved my swim in the outside pool which seemed to be heated to blood temperature. I asked for a recomendation for somewhere non-tourist to eat and we were advised to try Al Camiere in Piazza S. Zeno. We walked and it took us about 15-20 mins at a leisurely place. It was absolutely good but next night we tried the one on the same block right on the corner just 2 doors away and to be honest we thought it to be better hey and cheaper! Prices however were set for locals and not tourists. Would I stay at san Marco again?? Sure tomorrow given the chance and its also in my address book if I take my Grandson to watch an Italian Football match at the nearby Stadium. Verona---- you are a super4 city and San Marco does it proud.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank sandyandbetty
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I would not recommend staying in this hotel with family.
Things worth knowing if you travel with family, particularly young family.
You will be charged for the room on a per person rate, once your child/ren are 2 years old you will pay the same for a them as each adult. We are travelling with our 2 year 2 month old and therefore were charged nearly 100 Euro for a room which has not been updated since the 1970s (I'm guessing). Very basic as is much of the hotel. The restaurant appears to be the only area updated in the last 40 years and that is not flash. Definately not a 4 star hotel.
We were given a room that had two single beds shoved together and a roll away bed that they had put in.
There is a spa attached to the hotel but we were (not so politely) informed that children are not permitted. This leaves your full fee paying child unable to use anything but an outdoor pool which as most people noted is in the shade most of the day and far rather cold. I certainly didn't see anyone so much as sitting by this pool.
The picture of a room shown on this website is of what they call a deluxe room in their brochure. We did not receive one of these presumably because we booked online last minute and didn't pay the 150 they wanted on their website. Thank goodness we didn't!
Perhaps all hotels in this city are overpriced but atleast try another hotel where dissappoointment is not guaranteed.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Sanmarcoverona, Proprietario at San Marco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

I asked for removal of this comment, and for this reason my answer come in late.
It is easy to understand that nothing can be of 70thies as the first part of the hotel was opened in 1987, and many partial/total refurbishments were made in this period, the only older one is myself ! No per person rate is available anyweare on the web, on hotel web site booking engine or if you book by telephone. Rate is per room per night, children up to 12 are free in double room, but if you book 3 or 4 beds room, rate is following room type. Less than 100 euro for night is a very reasonable price for Verona and for the period, this is a price for a double and so it is demostrable guest affermation is wrong: children did not pay.
The real problem, as many other times, is that SPA area is unavailable for children for safety and liability reason, but this is clearly indicated everywheare on web site and on minisites of official resellers.
It is really not a problem if you think there are not alternatives in Verona city (San Marco is the only one with inside pool ) .
We offered alternative accomodation for reasonable price in deluxe rooms,(triple with 3 standard beds and cote) but client refused even to see them, this is a really price-oriented guest, and this is on his right, but misleading affermations are not acceptable.
All opinions are welcomed but try to be correct, false ones could not be accepted.
To all satisfied and unsatisfied guest, thank you for your contribute
Maurizio Ghelli Santuliana, owner, musician and guitar maker

Reviewed 11 August 2009

My friends and I were the only non-german guests that we could see here. Our room was very cheap for opera season, and the hotel had free shuttle bus in and out of opera.
Room little dated, but clean and comfortable. Reception staff very good, as was the barman. Swimming pool small - my friend wanted to swim after breakfast at 9am, when pool supposedly open, but pool staff were very rude to her, and then opened the pool about 5 mins later. This incident was somewhat upsetting and marred her experience of the hotel.
It's a 20 mins bus ride from central city, and if you can get a good price for a room here I'd take it! Nice garden area with recliners and spa/sauna area also which I didn't try.
The breakfast food was all german and featured saurkraut!
Would stay here again for good value during opera season, but not otherwise as a little too far from the centre.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends