“Take it or leave it.”
Review of Hotel Italia

Hotel Italia
Ranked #39 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The tourist office found us this place, a km or two from the city centre so we could get some exercise by walking to the "centro storico". Staff were a little brusque on our arrival. Our room was run-down and smelly! Next morning the smell was even worse and we asked to change, which they did without any undue fuss. Our second room was fine, though still a little run-down. Pretty small too, even though we are used to European-sized hotel rooms!

Parking was on the street outside. The staff indicated we just had to drive around the side streets until we found somewhere that allowed 24 hour parking. I found a spot about 500 metres away.

Breakfast was excellent, with plenty on offer and lots of fresh fruit. Not a bad place, but we'd probably try and find somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Italia

Reviewed 16 September 2009

Well, first of all the pictures of the hotel rooms are like nothing that is on the web-site. My room was on the second floor and the air conditioning for the room was not very good and the bathroom was quite small! My friends were on the 4th floor and there room was like an attic. It had a slanted ceiling that was the same as the roof of the hotel. The 4th floor is infact the top floor of the hotel. Plus there bed was really low to the ground, the roof definitly makes the hotel room smaller in this case. Also, we both paid the same amount of money for our rooms and my price included breakfast her's did not. But we both had the exact same room type. I don't know how that works out, but be careful about that. The hotel is not in the historic part of Verona. I recommend staying more in the historic part of the city especially if you are there for lesiure. You can however walk to the historic center of the city from the hotel, it is not far. Also, wireless internet access is not available in the rooms!!!! It is only available in the lobby and is 7.95 euro an hour!! This is really bad in my opinion, a real rip off. Other than that the rooms were clean, but the staff was not especially friendly or helpful. Also, the parking here is 15 euro a night to park in the hotels garage!!!! Be warned!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We spent acouple nights at Hotel Italia when we were in Verona, Italy and enjoyed our stay there very much. The room we had was exactly like the pictures they show. We had a Quadruple room which was excellent. I am very fussy about cleanliness and the room was exceptionally clean. I made all of our travel arrangements through Chiara and she was fabulous to deal with. Thank you to Chiara for all of her help in making our stay at Hotel Italia such a special one while we were in Verona. We will definitely recommend the hotel to others travelling to Verona. The lobby of the hotel is very pretty also and well kept. I am not sure why the reviews previously are so negative but our experience at this hotel was excellent and would definitely return there on our next visit to Verona.

Glenda (From: Canada)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Not as central as they say. Terrible service. Air conditioning is terrible. Room not as displayed in photos - VERY BASIC. We are not picky travellers but the service here was terrible and no smoking room smelled like they had a 1000 smokers in there. There are other hotels right in the heart of the city, close to attractions... stay at one of those.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Our air conditioner not only had a minimum of 20 celsius, but it was broken. The manager argued with me downstairs before even agreeing to check, and then argued again even though he admitted it was warm. The beds were terrible, everything was old and the top quilt was dirty. The windows were broken off hinges and I got a deep cut from it coming off the hinge. Insects were crwaling all around outside because they never used pest repellant. Everything about this hotel was terrible. DO NOT STAY HERE NO MATTER WHAT.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sotaris
Reviewed 25 May 2009

This hotel represents good value for money in an expensive city. It isn't the place you'd want to stay for a romantic break or family holiday but is ideal if you're there for a city break/sightseeing trip.

Located about 8-10 minutes' walk from the historic centre of town , the hotel is in a great location from which to reach all the sights. There are shops and cafes nearby, with a good little supermarket just a few doors up the road.

The public areas of the hotel are pleasant and the staff friendly and English-speaking. My room was small and my bathroom even smaller - both of which I'd expected from reading other reviewers' comments - but comfortable, pleasant and clean. There's no in-room internet, kettle or satelite TV - just the main local channels - and no 24-hour room service, although room service breakfast was available. None of those things were on my list of requirements so I didn't miss them, but I'm mentioning them here because many people would want or expect those things.

The breakfast buffet was great. I don't often enjoy hotel breakfast buffets but this one was well organised, offered a good range of choices and was fresh.

The restaurant opens for dinner in the evenings and has a good menu, including some local specialities. It's reasonable value for money (comparable prices to those in the UK currently) and the food is good and nicely-presented. There is a cheaper daily set menu, which I didn't try but which looked like very good value. The waiting staff were pleasant and attentive.

I was very happy with my choice of hotel. It was good value and suited my needs perfectly. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2008

After spending 7 days in the most beautiful 1-star hotel imaginable, I was incredibly disappointed to see the room at the Hotel Italia. As is usually the case on arrival the hotel lobby was fairly pleasant and clean. After getting into the tiniest lift to our floor we realised that the hotel was in need of updating.

The decor was shabby in the hallways and the room itself was dreadful. The room, which was supposed to be a double although we had asked for twin mattresses, was tiny, barely big enough to move around. The carpet was stained, the room was warm and as the window led onto ground leve, it was risky to leave it open. The bathroom was not as bad although some of the grouting was black. Luckily we were only there for two nights and out until late both days so did not have to spend too much time in the room itself.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bagpuss65