“Good hotel”

Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Verona
Lausanne, Suisse
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed there only a night. I was pleasantly surprised. A Good hotel, a good location to visit the city (near the arena), good prices and quality. The staff were helpful. Breakfast was perfect. The rooms were clean. You also have the possibility to reserve a parking place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my daughter for her birthday treat. We were led to an apartment across the street to the hotel. Room was very clean if not a bit smelly. There was a daily maid service and we were left alone to come and go as we wanted. The street outside was a busy one with a popular wine bar so a little noisy with the windows open. Air con would have been nice but we managed quite well. The location of the hotel was fantastic, just a short walk to the arena and all attractions. Breakfast was a delicious buffet of hot and cold food and pastries and was in the main hotel. I would definately stay here again. The staff were lovely and very helpful. We had a wonderful time. Thank you Hotel Mastino.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 6 January 2014

When we arrived in Verona we did not have trouble finding the hotel, the problem was finding a place to park the car. We circled around the hotel until we just decided to drop one of our party off at the front of the hotel to promptly find that they had a place to park our car. They were very helpful with our check in, and our bags. When we got to the room it was average for a hotel in it's location. One bedroom, one bath. Our view looked onto the back of the hotel, so it wasn't the best. There wasn't much noise that we heard, and we slept fairly well. The biggest piece of advice I ca give you is WALK EVERYWHERE. The city is beautiful, and has some wonderful locals. I can not say the same for the drivers. I loved the hotel, and loved the city. I LOATHED the driving.

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the Mcdonald's are quieter Street facing rooms have a lovely view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris-Venetian
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We went on a family holiday to Verona towards the end of December (2013). We booked into this hotel, and ended up being placed in an apartment that was quite central in Verona, but still relatively far from the hotel reception. The staff were relatively helpful and managed to accommodate us for one more day in Verona without any issues. The apartment was spacious, and nicely decorated, however the showers and hot water availability proved a problem. It was either very hot, and running very slowly, or very cold and blasting water out. This made our stay slightly less enjoyable, but it wasn't a train smash. The most helpful staff member was Robertto, who took us to parking, transported our luggage and took us to our apartment. Despite not speaking english, we managed to communicate very well by gestures and in german (which he does speak). Breakfast was not inclusive, and we ended up eating breakfast at a central piazza in Verona instead. I would say that the experience was nice and that it did the job, but next time I'd either book another room or try another hotel. Hot water is sort of a must for me, and it was a struggle to make sure everyone had hot water at the end of the day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SillyTravelGirl
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

HOTEL MASTINO VERONA

What a disappointing experience!!
There's no curtain in some of the showers and, in my first room, water went everywhere on the faux marble floor despite my best efforts not to splash!! When I told Reception I was unsafe, he shrugged and said 'modern'!!
I HAD to ask to change rooms - it's just too dangerous!! And ya know what Hotel Mastino?..... people have excitedly saved and planned and organised for their trip to Italy - they do not want to end up in The Verona Hospital with a broken hip and cracked & missing teeth!! Just not good enough!! I wander whether it's even legal to knowingly rent someone such a dangerous environment??
The room?
What am I disappointed about??
It feels like a jail cell - It's clean except for a multitude of scuff marks, the bed's only just comfortable enough and cold seeped up through the mattress - I had to sleep ON my feather coat to keep the cold out!! It was a double bed but with 2 single bed blankets on it running parallel to the bed head - what tha...? And it's -2 degrees !!
The bathrooms are new, clean and functional so long as you get one with a shower curtain. But the room is just like a jail cell, it's soulless!! No picture, dirty old curtains, beige, badly scuffed walls, old and mottled bedside tables - glass and iron - got the picture?
I speak English and, as fabulous as it would be if I was multilingual like all the previous Reception staff I've encountered on my trip, I only speak English. I do not expect that Italians should speak MY language in THEIR Country but, had I known that at this Hotel, all but two - the lovely Christiana & Francesca - speak only the most limited English, I'd have chosen a different place to stay.
I got monosyllabic responses from Reception (except from Christiana & Francesca who are are absolute Gems!!) - the others weren't rude, or belligerent - they just did a job - no frills, no interest in 'helping'. I suspected that one particular man spoke English but chose not to - could that be right?? I wanted to say something 'shocking' whilst watching his face but decided I was on holiday and I didn't need that angst.
THE POSITIVES?
Fabulous Location - a 2 minute walk to The Square and The Arena.
Great water pressure in shower.
Great temperature control in shower.
Bar frig a real asset.
Heated towel rail meant warm bathroom and clean clothes without wasting a whole morning at a Laundromat!!
WIFI?
Wifi costs €3 (for each device) for up to 5 days - paying €3 is not a big deal but it cuts off every time you put your device down and sometimes even when you don't!! The User Names and Passwords are ridiculous 8 digit, randomly generated upper and lower case letters and numbers - virtually impossible to memorize thus resulting in a very high error rate!!
Talk about a 1st world issue but it's infuriating!!
Look - it was all fine I guess just ordinary and unhelpful (except for Christiana & Francesca).
I was out of Season so no Hop on Hop off Bus and no Tours to Venice.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Peoria
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I enjoyed the Hotel Mastino very much during my trip to Verona in November. I stayed one night, due to availability...but it was enjoyable. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and location can't be beat. I would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara S
Kecskemet, Hungary
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We liked room very much. It was clean, nice, particularly the bathroom. The breakfast was good, the service perfect. The parking was excellent. It was comfortabla, that The Arena and other attractions are 2 minutes on foot. I cannot write any wrong thing,I want to return to Verona, to this hotel, because this was amazing.

Room Tip: I don't know, because I was inly in one room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel