“A perfectly located hotel, quiet and clean with very obliging staff”
Review of Hotel Milano & Spa

Hotel Milano & Spa
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This is a perfectly located hotel from which to access the Arena and to explore Verona. All the staff were very friendly and obliging (reception, breakfast, room cleaning and night staff who served late drinks from the attractive bar area). Our room was comfortable, clean and quiet - we were in one of the recently renovated rooms - they have managed to style the rooms in a contemporary fashion while still retaining character. If I had to criticise, I would say that the bathroom was a little on the small side - and this would definitely have been a practical problem for anybody carrying more cargo than is perhaps healthy (by which I mean overweight) - it was definitely a tight squeeze for my husband and me who are not the largest of individuals. Breakfast was standard fare in a Continental European hotel of this standard. The coffee was good but, as is the case throughout Continental Europe, the tea was disappointing - however if you are a Brit and like your tea then it is essential to travel with your own Tetleys or PG Tips bags wherever you stay!! For a 3* hotel it wasn't cheap - but then we went at the height of the opera festival and any hotel room is at a premium at that time. Other good points: free WiFi which was great so that we could plan our day trips to nearby Padova and Vicenza and also car parking facilities (at a reasonable charge). All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again on another trip to Verona.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2010

The only reason why this small, three-star boutique hotel might not deserve a fourth star is the small size of its rooms. But the interior architect has done an excellent job in making best use of the space available, and with the modern design, the partial use of sliding doors, and light color schemes, the rooms do feel spacious enough. And they even come with add-ons such us "colored light therapy" in the shower, free (and speedy) internet, free minibar, an extensive breakfast buffet, etc.! Both the rooms and the public areas of the hotel are spotlessly clean, and the service is professional and friendly. The in-house garage proved extremely valuable, given the hotel's city center location. And the location is the biggest draw of all: The hotel is right in the center of the old town of Verona, 2 minutes of slow walking (maximum) from the Arena di Verona! Definitely one of the very best options in the center of Verona, even though the price of approx. EUR 250 per new room (at least during the opera season) is on the higher side for a three-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We loved Hotel Milano. It's location is absolutely perfect - right in the middle of everything, but in a side street so you're only around the corner from all the hustle and bustle day and night. We drove to Verona from Lake Como, which was a lovely drive, but on entering Vernona our GPS took us up the wrong way to the Hotel, which was in a one-way street. Never mind, the staff had seen this before, and the locals are very tolerant of tourists. Once the Concierge parked our car we forgot all about the drama of one-way streets. From the street Hotel Milano has a modernish look , the reception area is very modern, but looking up the facade is of the original hotel, with it's "Juliet balconies" and it is just wonderful. Our room was just sensational - very modern - and this was actually quite a nice change after almost four weeks in traditional Italian hotels (which we did love). The room was HUGE - including the bathroom, and extremely well appointed. Stepping onto our balcony from the bedroom was a giggle as the balcony was the original hotel balcony (prior to the renovations) and very historical - we just loved it. Hotel Milano is in a perfect location. Walk out the front door, look left and there is the Arena at the end of the street, turn right, then left and you are smack bang in the middle of all the Verona hustle and bustle - just perfect. We couldn't fault a thing at Hotel Milano, we would absolutely stay here again should we ever visit Veronal again (and we hope we do)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We traveld from Milan to Verona by train and had heard that the hotel was around a 20 minute walk from the station, we took a cab however as it was 35 degrees and we didn't fancy the walk with our suitcases! The hotel is down a little side street just up from the Roman Arena so you are in the centre of everything and everything is in walking distance, even the station which took around 25 minutes to walk to in the heat and humidity.
We were on the 4th floor during our stay and yes, the rooms up there are a little on the old side but, if like us you are not going to be spending any time in the room apart from sleeping and showering then it is sufficient. The room was clean and we had plenty of towels and toiletries. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was good despite the age of the room. You can tell the difference between the first two floors and floors 3 and 4 when you use the stairs due to the carpet, doors on the rooms and the banister. There is no carpet on the stairs on floors 3 and 4 and the banister is very old looking. However, that did not spoil our stay as we only used the room for sleeping and showering.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice, buffet style and they take your order for coffee so you can have whatever you want.
We found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly and most of them spoke good English.
There was a very reasonable priced and very nice pizzeria/restaurant that we ate in twice during our stay up the street, turn right when you come out of the hotel, the tratorria to the left when you leave the hotel looked lovely but it was a bit pricey.
Our first night there was opera at the arena which we had pre-booked tickets for, neither of us have ever been to opera but it was enjoyable and just being in the roman arena soaking up the atmosphere made it worthwhile going.
All the main shops etc were literally two minutes walk from the hotel and there are plenty of places to eat and have drinks. We went to a bar on Pizza Erbe twice and the drinks were reasonable, to our surprise! The only down side was the rose sellars who kept coming over, most of them left when we said no and ignored them but one just would not go away and it took our waiter coming over and yelling at him in Italian to make him leave!
The best thing about this hotel from my experience was definitely the location, the thing I liked the least was probably the fact our room was a little old and tired, the fact that they have reamped two floors and not done the top too yet lets the hotel down as other than that, it is a very modern, well presented hotel.
I would recommend the hotel though and I would stay there again

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed one night in an executive room on a recent trip to Italy and the woman at reception was so appalling that I wanted to storm out. I had a feeling, through email correspondence before our arrival that customer service would be lacking: the emails I received had been quite rude but I decided to attribute it to poor English rather than actual surliness.
On arrival, when I gave them my name they looked blankly at their computers, I then gave them my boyfriend's last name just in case they had booked it under his and not mine. The woman behind the desk then told me I had booked the room for a week later (which I knew I had not done) and pretty much said tough it was my mistake. She produced some emails from someone with the same last name as me as proof of the booking. It was not however me and when I pointed this out, she then realised that yes I had in fact made the booking on the correct date and that I was on the system. It strikes me that checking for a booking under a last name on the day the customer has shown up makes more sense than looking a week ahead and saying I had made an incorrect booking. I can handle their (large) mistake, however I was furious at not being given any form of apology. She just shrugged it off and checked as in. Not once did she smile throughout the whole time we stayed.

As for the room, we had paid extra for a renovated executive room. It was miniscule, there was nowhere for us to put our luggage and in the end we had to settle for putting it by our bed and tripping over it in the night. The bathroom minisucle as well, I do not believe I am exaggerating by saying it is about the size of a double bed cut in half. The lighting was also terrible, there were 3 weak side lights and I found it impossible to read in the room. We asked to be moved to a room with a ceiling light but they said it was dark because it was raining and cloudy (what about at night then I wonder), they said rooms of the same level did not have ceiling lights. The same surly woman from earlier offered to show us an unrenovated room in an awful tone that seemed exasperated by us. But we decided against this and just chose not to read.

The positives though: the room does look very nice (even if it isn't practical), breakfast is ok and the hotel's location is fantastic: right by the arena.

I would never dream of staying here again because of the awful customer service that I experienced and recommend nobody else does either.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

the hotel is a smart value because of its location and its amenities.The lobby is fashioned and welcomed,the staff also,but the rooms are small and so old.They gave us one at 4th floor,and i asked kindly if there's something different instead of searching somewhere else.
So they trasfered us to second floor and that was a real room.the stay was pleasant and in my style.
I had a wifi internet so i could check my affairs during my escursion.
The morning buffet nice and clean,had everything you need for a breakfast.
the monuments are around,the house of Juliette very near to the hotel,there's also behind the main commercial street.
Verona is a vivid town,i really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2010

We stayed on the fourth floor in room 408. The room was clean and tidy but as other reviewers have noted only the first and second floors have been refitted. In my view this room needs to be updated, but mainly only for the TV, mini bar and update to the shower/toilet fittings, and replacement of the shower curtain! This room has the advantage of a balcony although there is no furniture on it.
The bed was comfortable and there was minimal noise from the street or other rooms, which provided for a good nights sleep. The size of the room was good but restricted due to a structural wall between the bed and the remainder of the room.
The reception staff were very friendly and we encountered no problems with the hotel during our stay.
The breakfast was good with enough choice and amount to fill you till well into the afternoon.

The hotel probably has the best location in Verona. It is behind the main shopping street and right next to the Roman arena the Piazza Bra.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple