“Great venue..”

US$53.90*
Fascinating Verona: in the Footprints of Romeo and Juliet
Ranked #1 of 10 Concerts & Shows in Verona
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the first century AD, this is one of the best conserved Roman amphitheatres, whose seating area is made up of 44 levels and can hold up to 22,000 spectators.
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Good to visit and explore inside. One evening we sat having dinner in the Piazza Bra and enjoyed a pop concert by top Italian pop singer Ferro. Brilliant.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We visited Verona 3 years ago. We loved the area around the arena and felt quite intrigued by the massive props wheeled in and out of the arena...so last Summer, we returned to lake Garda and I booked tickets to see the Aida! We are not opera connoisseurs but I thought this could be a family experience to remember. We will! The anticipation before the "show", the heat, the queues, the cheer crowds packed like sardines in a boiling hot arena! it was quite exciting really...you buy those cushions to make sure you sit comfortably on the stone, the problem to read the story to make sure you know what it is about...no subtitles !Initially also, entering the arena with already 100s of spectators was exhilarating, witnessing the sun going down , small candles being lit up , but then we lost it: the opera was very very very long. Each change of scenery took 30 minutes with ice cream and drinks vendors struggling to find a passage through the mass of people.With all the breaks and intervals it felt like never ending. Then slowly our bodies gave in too. An elderly lady was virtually sat on my feet and I was trying not to lean my back on the person sitting behind me!! My husband who is quite tall struggled to find space for his legs! The kids were uncomfortable and drained. Slowly people were giving up and left . There was one big cheer when the musicians played the "famous" tune and then we all got fed up again. Too long , too uncomfortable.Unless you get the very expensive seats at the bottom where they had chairs and champagne!!!
We got back to the hotel very late because it was impossible to get out of the city at this time in the night 2am ? I forgot. I wiped it out of my memory!!! But if you must go, do get the cushions, water, if you have back problems or aches and pains when static, dont bother! And do park next to the arena (5 minutes walk) and do pay the fee before you go to the opera. The queue is insane after the show!
I marked the opera as average because it wasnt poor. In a way it was an experience, just not the one I expected!

2  Thank cathy m
Reviewed 13 May 2012

One of our treats while visiting Verona was to tour the Arena. The arena still has most of its original pink marble facade, 2/3's of its original height. You do have to look past the fact that the interior is setup for operas that are being performed, or are in preparation for a future performance. The audience seats are installed, and you cannot go into places that the cast and crew of the shows use. So, once you get past that, you can climb up and sit in most of the seats, the upper levels have the marble/concrete seats from Roman times. The views from the top give you a good look at Verona too. It is fun to sit there and imagine what it would have been like almost 1900 years ago when this arena was in full use.

1  Thank NCPirate
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We went to visit the arena out of the opera season but can imagine how great it would have been to sit there and watch something.

Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

If I had to do it again I would have saved my 6 euro but I could see how it would be amazing to see a concert or the Opera here. We went on a day there was a concert so the stage was set up (I'm assuming it's not always set up). It took away from the history of the place but on the flip side it's nice to see the place getting used for more then a tourist attraction.