“Visit to the Opera in Verona”
Review of Arena di Verona

US$53.92*
Fascinating Verona: in the Footprints of Romeo and Juliet
Ranked #1 of 10 Concerts & Shows in Verona
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the first century AD, this is one of the best conserved Roman amphitheatres, whose seating area is made up of 44 levels and can hold up to 22,000 spectators.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We went to see Carmen. We got there at 7:30 to enter Section D. We had thought this too early but we realised that coming any later would have been a mistake and we would have been forced to squash in anywhere.
So, it was a long wait till 20:45, however, I had paid so that we can sit on a balmy evening listening to the songs of Carmen. It was windier than expected and the kids got cold waiting for the performance to start.
There are several things that one has to be aware of. This is very steep and climbing the stone steps is hard work for some folks!
They sold no water!
The toilets are miles away, once you are up in section D or any of the other cheaper seats.
The acoustics on the day we were there, were not good. It sounded if the band and the singers were playing under water. It could have been because of the wind, but I think it had to do with much more about being too far away.
Some people think that bringing little children to watch an opera is educational. It is not, leave them at home or do this kind of thing when they are older.There were little children eating sweets, fidgeting and talking and being so far away there was little for them to enjoy.
We then left after the first act. Ok we are spoilt because in Austria this kind of outdoor experience in a historical place is done so much better.
Like I said, I paid for the experience, certainly not the performance. My 17 year old expected more and my 20 year old would have continued to watch and had no expectations. My husband and I are opera goers and really ,as such, we would have had to get more expensive tickets, which would not have been worth it for this performance and cast.
This is a much overrated experience and it would have been better to actually just visit the arena during the day.

1  Thank rali50

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I've always wanted to see an opera here and i wasn't disappointed.One of the most enjoyable experiences ever-and i'm not an opera buff by any means.I took my sons aged 9 and 12 and they enjoyed it too-although they got a tiny bit bored in parts.Fabulous show-Aida in a glorious setting.We sat in the unnumbered stone steps and loved it but you need to get there early to get a good speck and be strong enough to stop latecomers pushing in.These seats are great for atmosphere but not suitable for elderly or disabled guests-the loos are a bit of a hike too.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Even though Verona is considered to be the most romantic city because of Giulliet's "casa", which is pretty nice, but actually not a real one - I was much more impressed by the Arena of Verona. This amphitheater is known to be one of the most best-preserved among this kind of buildings in Northern Italy! Not only it is opened for tourists - in summer it's a place for Opera! We were lucky to get tickets to Aida opera, which was fantastically orchestrated in terms of decorations of use of space.
Lots of fire, lots of sparkle, there's a great view from almost every place (thanks to Rome architects, lol), good sound and so many people able to attend this spectacular event in the open air.
I was trully impressed and happy to be there - if you are lucky to be in Verona during the Opera season dont hesitate to go there and check it out - totally worth it, unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A spendid arena and an opera/musical spectacle . However you need staying power: the performance does not start until 8.45 and finishes at 1am; seats are uncomfortable (with or without cushions) and cramped; stairs are steep and it can be still very warm. But, would not have missed it for the world.

1  Thank lgmsomerset
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had some opera tickets given to us and went along to the Arena to see what everyone was talking about! The outdoor stadium is quite impressive and you certainly can't miss it in the center of the city. Tickets are various prices depending on where you want to sit as in pretty much any theatrical venue. We had tickets for the cheap seats - these are not seats as such but stone terraces which you see in amphitheaters worldwide. Once you have climbed the many steps into the arena - you sit where you can find a space. If you plan to stay fr the whole performance you may want to invest in a cushion to sit on as those terraces are a bit hard on the bum!
The opera was quite a spectacle - and worth going. It can get a bit chilly late at night even in the summer so may be worth taking an extra layer of clothes if you plan to stay till the end which in our case was 1am.

1  Thank EmmaMontenegro