“Magnificent!!!!!!”
Review of Arena di Verona

Arena di Verona
Ranked #1 of 179 Sights & Landmarks in Verona
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the first century AD, this is one of the best conserved Roman amphitheatres, whose seating area is made up of 44 levels and can hold up to 22,000 spectators.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I have been at the Arena Verona on the Opera Carmen. It was my great experience and I enjoyed too much. Suddenly the weather changed and it would be better if you had some blankets for visitors. Thanks a lot

Write a ReviewReviews (15,630)
All reviews
in 607 reviews
"stage"
in 482 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Eight of us met up in Verona to enjoy the city and visit the Opera. It’s an amazing venue. Hard to imagine the days of animal fights in the morning, public executions at lunchtime and bull fighting in the afternoon. Must have been a bonkers day out.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Got the bus into Verona from Pescheria for the evening. Spent time around the arena. Beautiful setting. Lovely selection of restaurants. Not the typical rip off in tourist destinations. Lovely evening

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Last year we splashed out on tickets near the front of the arena ( special birthday gift from my husband) and I can assure other reviewers that we were not given free brochures . However this year we attended Carmen on the opening night of the Festival, we were on the stone steps but did not see anyone on the arena floor being given free brochures; perhaps since it was a gala performance some invited guests were given brochures.
The performance started late but this did not bother us as we enjoyed the atmosphere and the company around us and next day we were advised that there were some technical difficulties.
It was a windy night and this may have had an affect on the sound quality but we could hear well and enjoyed the opera.The staging was wonderful and the projections on to the arena steps behind the stage were amazing.
I was well aware that in the event of rain that the performance could be stopped and in fact the interval was longer than normal due to a small shower. The orchestra is open to the elements and as the instruments are very valuable the musicians would not want them to be exposed to rain damage. On the night the harps were removed from the orchestra pit until the rain stopped.( luckily it was just a short shower). However if it rains heavily then the performance may be cancelled with no refund.
The next night we saw Aida but I did not enjoy the staging as much , I believe was the 1913 staging , or perhaps it was because I was not so familiar with the opera.
Of the two operas I saw this year I preferred Carmen.
However there are mixed messages regarding food on the stone steps.; some say it is allowed and some say it is not allowed so if you bring food then you risk this being taken off you although you should be given the option of leaving it in the Information Point. Also umbrellas are also not allowed although we did see people with them when it rained during Carmen.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

One ball is for the opera itself. Stage, costumes, performers - artistically speaking everything was great. Carmen is a masterpiece and I really enjoyed it during the opening night of Verona opera festival. Despite that the opera was written by Georges Bizet on the screens of the arena it was written Giuseppe Verdi a couple of times. Then they changed it. Also, the announcer at the beginning also said it’s by Giuseppe Verdi. I think it’s a huge shame for such a big international event. The screens by the way are located so inconveniently, we all didn’t get why they placed them so far on the left and right sides when they could do it in the center. Was very uncomfortable to read text and follow what’s going on on stage. Opera was obviously in French. Subtitles- in Italian and English. All announcements were made in Italian, then German, then English. Before the beginning the woman stepped on stage and made a speech in Italian. The subtitles that they gave us in English on the screen were also unprofessional. Basic words like “artists” were misspelled (saying “artistes”), which I think is, again, not the right level for this. We are not at the school play (though I’m sure at school they would double check with the teacher of English)))). Another thing- the event doesn’t provide you with any sort of program. We bought cheapest section without numbered seats but I saw the numbered section being seated and provided with some brochure. First I thought that we are too poor to have one and it didn’t look good for the fest. Then I called one of the guys at the arena who was selling some books and asked if I can please buy one of the programs. He said they don’t have programs and offered me books (one was for Carmen, another- with the whole repertoire of the fest). I explained that I particularly collect programs of the shows and asked the one like numbered sections have. He said it’s not a program, it’s some sort of advertisement with the info for other shows. The lady next to me decided to buy a book about Carmen and let me look at it. There was only description of characters, acts and the lyrics. Nothing about the conductor, the singers, how long is the show, how many intermissions and for how long, etc. I was really surprised at that. In New York, wherever you go- the Metropolitan Opera, or ballet, or (Off) Broadway show or any other event like that- every member of the audience gets a playbill. There is everything you need to know about your show and also advertisement. And doesn’t matter how much you paid- 40 or 400. Again, I must have expected too much of such a famous event. Try not to repeat my mistake. Then you’ll enjoy more. For instance, the sound is pretty bad. We were seating in the third row of the unnumbered section (for that we showed up at 6:30 PM) and the sound was so low. Scottish ladies that were seating next to us said the same. We chatted a lot before the show and in the intermission. So I’m not just being picky. The intermissions are announced right after the end of the act, not before the show. You get to know at the moment. We had two that were supposed to be 25 minutes but were longer. Especially the first time because it started raining so they had to wait to start the second act. Fyi, the arena has a ridiculous policy of being able to cancel opera because of weather conditions and not to issue a refund for it. So if you are unlucky and a bad rain starts they may wait for 150 minutes and if it’s still raining, they can cancel the show without giving you money back. Never heard of such a policy before and hopefully I never will anymore. Speaking of tickets- I bought ours as a gift for my husband for New Year’s. While checking out online I was offered a free parking at the arena parking. I just had to mark a box with complimentary parking (was saying “0” euros instead of “22”). I was so glad because we would take a car since we live in Italy. Before going to Verona we printed the tickets and there was nothing about parking. My husband searched info online and found out that there should be a separate kind of ticket. I wrote to geticket customer service and Maria, who apparently doesn’t even have a last name, was so rude! We both got very upset with such low terrible customer service. I was very nice to her and explained that for some reason the system didn’t take the parking order. She didn’t want to look into our matter, just kept saying that we have to pay for the parking if we want it and never had even a basic manner or politeness to say “I’m sorry, but I can’t do anything about it”, “Unfortunately, blah, blah, blah”, etc. extremely rude and unprofessional. She said “You have to pay €23.10”. If she would say “I apologize for the inconvenience but your order for complimentary parking didn’t go through” I would be totally ok with it. My husband was sure that there is no way they can help us (he is Italian so he is used to Italian customer service) but I wanted to ask anyhow. Didn’t count on help but didn’t expect to meet such rudeness. Still upset while writing about it :( The worst is that there is no way to report this situation anywhere. We checked all possible emails and phones. Ah, and the only phone number provided is not free. Even Italy to Italy. Shocked? Me too. If you made a mistake buying tickets or need other help, you have to pay to speak to them! Incredible! And, remember- their generic Maria is very rude if you dare to email with a question. A useful tip: get to arena parking without booking. You’ll pay €17 for the whole day. Another advice: Don’t bring to the arena bottled water (they made us throw away ours), they sell it there. I was like ok, they need to make money, you usually wouldn’t be allowed to take it in at most places. Then inside at one moment everybody around started taking out food and eating sandwiches, fruit, cheese and I even saw plastic containers. I was sincerely surprised at that. Wish I did the same)). Also, have something to sit on if you are seating on the stone. It will hurt anyways but not as much))). I suggest to either buy a pillow from sellers outside the arena (they were so cheap- €1,5-2 or more for cooler ones) or to bring with yourself something soft like a small blanket. Don’t forget a small portable umbrella or, better,- a poncho in case of rain. Besides, after 10 PM it got very cold and windy. Definitely take a warm jacket. Come with a low expectation and enjoy!