“Dinner”

Ranked #23 of 1,222 Restaurants in Verona
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

With the family the standard menu was not enough or better said a simple pasta was required, which they offered without any discussions. One of us had a started which was a very fresh sea food salad followed by different pasta dishes. The kids got the menu very quickly which was very nice. The tiramisu was excellent.

1  Thank SwissTra
There are newer reviews for Vecio Macello

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This restaurant is very good but certainly not the best. We had a lovely fish dish followed by a local dessert and whilst the service and food preparation was good we have had better elsewhere in Verona. The cost was reasonable and the atmosphere pleasant but overall a little disappointing.

2  Thank Geoff M
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing meal tonight; meat and cheese starter ( enough for us to share) then monkfish and mixed fish plate.... Ended the evening with a lovely tiramisu! Well worth a visit and when we are back we will be calling here again!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to Verona this week to try out The Vecio Macello as we are expecting guests and wanted to find a good restaurant to take them for a pre Opera supper. We arrived soaking wet on Wednesday lunchtime. After being seated we were twice told the 'tourist menu' which consisted of a cheese dish which my husband is allergic to, a vegetarian option which neither of us ever have, and a pasta with sauce. After reading the excellent reviews we wanted to try the A la Carte especially the fish. We had to request the menu as did the adjoining table. The bread arrived neither fresh nor warm. The white wine arrived and had to be sent back to be chilled. We both ordered the 'fish of the day' in tempura. I prefer my fish baked or grilled but based on previous reviews I expected a freshly caught in a light tasty batter. What I got was a mound of brown. Frito Misto and overcooked at that. My husband tried mine and pronounced it more overcooked than his. The shrimps and whitebait were like dried brown crisps. The large prawn on top was delicious, the only thing I can recommend about the whole meal. There was no slice of lemon or garnish of any kind. Upon asking, we were told to help ourselves to cold vegetables from a sideboard. These were good. The owner (I think) remarked that I had left most of my meal and I said that we were expecting a fresh piece of fish as on the menu, NOT frito misto. He made no comment and so we paid the bill including a 5 euro cover charge and left. I felt they thought we were passing tourists though why this should affect the dining experience I do not know. In fact we have lived in Italy for the past year and this ranks as the worst dining experience we have had. I had to check the bill before I wrote this review to make sure we were actually in this restaurant as our experience was so different from the other reviews.

6  Thank alisoncots
Pierluigi G, Proprietario at Vecio Macello, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear customer ,
we would like to thank you for coming to our restaurant and for sending your review.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but our menu is clear: you ordered “Fritto del pescato del giorno” (Fried daily fish), not “Pesce fresco del giorno” (Daily fish).
We also offered you to change the meal, even if we served what you ordered. You decided to keep it (but to keep complaining as well).
The appetizer is made with cold cuts and a variety of cheeses coming from the Lessinia region. We served you the cheese because, even if your housband is allergic, we would like to enable you (his wife) to taste the cheeses.
Bread and breadsticks are made every day by our staff in the kitchen of the restaurant. Of course, the strong humidity we had in those days didn’t help us in order to maintain the freshness of the bread.
We served you the wine you asked at its right temperature, the temperature the producer suggests. We always check every bottle before serving it, and we took the bottle to your table with ice and winebucket. You asked for a more chilled bottle, therefore we provide you with a cooler one, even though the temperature wasn’t good for that wine.
Maybe your negative experience began before you entered our restaurant and was probably due to the awful weather we had during the whole day.
We’re very sorry we couldn’t help you in changing your mood during the meal.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Trip advisor rated this restaurant 3rd in their list of restaurants to visit in Verona. Very easy to locate but do study map first !
Amazing location surrounded by history plenty of seating.we sat outside . Owners very attentive, social and enthusiastic about food & wine suggested we try the fish tasting menu & house white wine to accompany we did and Wow we're we blown away 15 different fish tasters all presented creatively followed by two homemade pasta tasters. The bill came to 90€ . We enjoyed the atmosphere found it to be very relaxed & friendly . This restaurant is a real gem & deserves a No. 1

1  Thank Mary H