“Lovely and welcoming hotel”
Review of Hotel Trieste

Hotel Trieste
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I really liked Hotel Trieste and defnitely recommend it! Highlights for me were the professional and friendly staff (headed up by Andrea, the third generation of this hotel ownership), the beautiful breakfast room with fine food displayed in an elegant and thoughtful way, and the amazing collection of contemporary art displayed in the lobby. The hotel's location is excellent, on a main street in the city close to the fantastic Piazza Bra. My room was very big and clean. It is one of the rooms to be updated (bathroom and flooring were dated but I didn't care). There was minimal noise from other rooms. The room was serviced well every day. The free access to a computer in the lobby was a nice touch. I would definitely stay there again if I return to Verona!

Room Tip: For lots of quiet get a room facing back courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I was shocked that this was a two star hotel. Luckily, I stuck with Tripadvisor recommendations and tried it even though it's listed as a two star. The room was wonderful. It was large, well lit and well appointed. The staff was helpful and kind and allowed us a late check-out so we could spend some more time in Verona. The breakfast was delicious. I was impressed.

Reviewed 11 May 2011

I had high expectations about this hotel because of all the ‘excellent’ and ‘very good’ ratings on Trip Advisor. Apparently the hotel had even won “Trip Advisor’s traveler choice” awards the last couple of years (clearly advertised at the hotel’s reception!). However, Hotel Trieste is rated two star and that’s exactly what it is. I didn’t find the room exceptional, I was given a room at the street side and it was very noisy with all traffic and passers-by in the street. The room was large and clean, bathroom was OK too. There was no information booklet (with info about breakfast, wifi, any other services the hotel offers). One advice: there aren’t any European sockets in the room or bathroom, just Italian (three pin) sockets - if you want to use electrical devices there, be sure to bring an adapter! So as for the room, I think it was acceptable for a two star hotel.

Totally unacceptable for me was the rudeness and unhelpfulness of the staff. I arrived at the hotel early in the morning and I just wanted to drop off my bags there (as I knew I was too early to check in). There was an elder at the reception desk, speaking only Italian who after a lot of insisting (I tried to communicate with him in French and English) told me in poor English that the hotel was full and I couldn’t stay there (it sounded like “hotel full, GO” which I found quite rude to be honest, especially because I put the confirmation of my reservation under his nose). When I returned to the hotel later on, there was a young lady who checked me in. She was friendly but didn’t give a lot of information though; she just told me that breakfast was at 7. The next morning, I went to the breakfast room at 7.15 and the young man at the reception started ranting about being too early (apparently breakfast starts at 7.30). I just waited for 15 minutes and didn’t even mention anything about the miscommunication with the lady the day before (because such things can happen). If I would’ve complained about it, I would understand that the receptionist would be agitated (though in my honest opinion that’s still no reason to be unfriendly to a guest) but that wasn’t the case. After having breakfast I wanted to check out as I had to catch the early bus to the Garda Lake. As shifts had changed, the elderly man was back at reception and one more problem arose… my credit card was refused! What happened was that the man swiped my card, while I do have a card with chip (and pin code). So swiping the card simply doesn’t work. I had to point to the chip several times before the man finally wanted to try the card by using the chip reader (he kept on repeating in a quite agitated manner “not work, not work” without even wanting to try again).

For this reason I rate this hotel as “poor”. But even if I had been treated differently, I wouldn’t have given the hotel a higher score than “average” (sorry I really cannot understand the reviewers who rate this hotel as ‘exceptional’). I would suggest, if English or French is a problem for the owner (I assume that the elderly man is the owner), he shouldn’t accept any foreign guests. Or I’d suggest to staff reception with personnel who do speak other languages. I’d expect that being multilingual is a requirement for working in the hotel/tourism sector these days? But even the other staff members who did speak English (I didn’t try to speak in French with them) are not friendly and/or helpful. Also, one way to avoid miscommunications (e.g. breakfast times) is to put an information card/booklet in each room with the available services. That’s my advice for the hotel staff, just in case they would read this.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank sofke8868b
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary during a two night stay in Verona. We'd informed the Hotel Trieste beforehand and they offered to upgrade our room for only a small extra charge.
We arrived after walking 10 minutes from the station and were given a choice of rooms, opting for one of those on the top floor. If you're tall, you may wish to go for another room as the ceiling is low, but otherwise it was spotless and had decent views.
The staff treated us to a glass of prosecco while showing us a map of the city and letting us know where to visit.
Breakfast was fine and the Trieste is within easy walking distance of all the sights. The reception area is quirky but comfortable.
Overall though, what made the stay stand out from other Italian hotels was the friendliness of the staff. When we left and informed them we were heading to Venice, they happily gave us tips as to where the best places to eat were. We were literally checking out and heading ut of the door - the staff didn't have to say anything other than "ciao" but took the time to offer yet more friendly advice and tips.

1  Thank TCavs
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel is lovely, excellent location - its really quick, 5 mins on foot, and easy to get to the sites and shops, brilliant welcome, such friendly staff. The room was clean, a little basic, and lacked any character, which was a contrast to the reception area that was luxurious, stylish and intimate. Which is my only criticism, it is not a big one at all, seeing this is a 2 star hotel, which is easy to forget, as it is so good! Our room had a little balcony too, which was really nice. Breakfast was lovely, we spent ages, having a bit of everything! We would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel, this is better than most 4 star hotels! Awesome value!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachelPS
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I must admit, I stared a bit forlornly at the list of hotels in Verona, as my friend who comes here every year for the opera had rather darkly commented that the 4 star hotels she stayed in were decidedly lacking........and we were working on a far tighter budget than she does! Still, I followed the tripadvisor advice and booked the Trieste for our 3 night stay (wedding of friends). Thank you recent posts - cannot quibble - clean, spacious rooms (although ironing shirts in the hotel laundry was...different) excellent location (2 mins to P. Bra, 10 mins to P. della Erbe) and really friendly staff. It was great to have car parking too!
Thanks for a lovely stay!
(I will tell my friend that she should look at 4 stars on Tripadvisor, not 4 stars on the actual hotel!)

Room Tip: Front facing room, floor 3+
1  Thank SamanthaArianne
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed a night at the Trieste in Verona on a tour of northern Italy by train and wished we could have stayed longer. Very spacious, clean and comfortable room with two balconies large enough to sit outside, delicious breakfast and extremely helpful, friendly staff. The receptionist gave us two great recommendations for lunch and dinner - Greppia and Cantina de l'Arena restaurants. Ten minute walk to train station and five minutes to Piazza Bra. Great location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple