“Hard to Find At Night but It All Worked Out”
Review of Magnolia B&B

Magnolia B&B
Ranked #316 of 425 Verona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 December 2013

When I arrived at the B&B location on a side street after driving around in the dark for a long time, the B&B owner, Roberto, was not there. He had a recording to tell me he'd be back in 10 minutes. He showed up shortly and gave me a briefing about Verona, showed me to my room and gave me a map and directions downtown and suggestions where to eat. The room was spacious and clean and the shared bathroom had excellent clean and modern fixtures. I chose this place for the location and price - 45 euros per night for two nights. Roberto left to do an errand but failed to advise me how to open the electric gate at the street. The buzzer for egress is located on the wall outside by the gate I later learned. Roberto also failed to advise me about the WiFi code and the WiFi connection which is only effective when in the dining room not the room. The following day Ian, a very helpful staff member, tried to help me connect to WiFi but I didn't get online until later that day. The train rumbled in the night but I was not disturbed. It felt like a metro/subway train passing under the B&B. Parking on the narrow one-way street has to be monitored by the B&B staff and a sign placed inside the car on the dash with the time to deter the police from giving out a ticket. My car key had to be in their possession, not a desirable procedure. The included breakfast was fine and I slept well both nights. I recommend that Roberto prepare a detailed handout in several languages with all the pertinent information about access and egress and WiFi issues, breakfast hours, local restaurants, parking etc. for his guests. It seems to me that management has too many other distractions to support guests to the best extent possible. Overall it all came together, however it could have been a much worse experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you arrive in the daylight and /or have a GPS with the B&B address recorded.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Magnolia B&B

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very charming B&B, well run and with moderately good service. Close to downtown and very close to the train station. Actually, right on top of the tracks (OK, 50 feet away.) Heard every train going through Verona, woke up several times during the night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

When booking our stay in Verona we researched for Hotels and B & B's that had a communal "Terrace" so that we could relax at night with our friends that we were travelling with. When we were checking in we were excited that the reception room was exactly like the photos. We were then very disappointed to be led out of B & B La Magnolia down the street to B & B Fiore De Roby. No terrace like in the photos and no B & B La Magnolia!!!! Our rooms were adequate for our 2 night stay, but even the double glazed window/door couldn't deaden the sound of the trains from about 4am till after midnight. Breakfast was served in a small room (lots of pre package items and limited choice) luckily the weather was fine and we were able to eat outside at the 4 tables set out front next to the main steps/entry. If you wanted coffee you had to pay using the coffee machine in the hallway. There was a wierd smell in the B & B, not sure if it was the air freshener or old stale cooking smells. When checking out we had to go back down to La Magnolia to pay. Our receipt showed B & B Fiore De Roby, but all booking confirmation was in the name of B & B La Magnolia. I don't think anyone gets to stay there now.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Magnolia for one night for a further visit to Venice.
This is a small guest house in a three-storey villa, a few rooms. The owner lives here.
The room is very simple and cozy. Bathroom and toilet in the corridor, but it is not a problem.
We have not seen or heard of other people who live only for breakfast.
Breakfast was very simple, but the other did not expect.
Railroad near, but does not interfere.
The city center is 15 minutes walk, a lovely walk.
Magnolia is an ideal option for the 100E in Verona for one night!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We only stayed for 1 night and we really struggled to find it... Satellite navigation in the car constantly took us to a wrong location where we illegally drove around a bus station... The owner found this amusing and said this happened often.... You would have thought this would be advised on the website.. Luckily googlemaps on my phone eventually found it.
The owner was not the most friendly grunting for our passports on arrival and did not tell us anything about breakfast etc..
Must say though that his helper was very friendly and helped me park my car.
The rooms back onto the train lines so its really noisy upto midnight where it goes quiter.
Great location to the arena, only 10 min walk.
Breakfast was a grab and go with not much of a selection.. Cereal with no milk....
Overall there must be better places to stay in Verona.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I only spent a day in Verona, so, to make it simpler, I just needed an accomodation near railway station to leave my luggage and stay over. La Magnolia is not exactly 2 steps from the station, but it is in 7-10 minutes walk, and I think it was among the closest accomodations available.

La Magnolia is more like a private villa than a hotel: you get your key from the outside door and the key from your room. They have several buildings, mine was not the poshest one where they had sort of reception, but had a nice garden.

I had an attic room at the upper floor. In the absence of a lift, the guy who managed all the buildings got my luggage upstairs and downstairs the next morning himself - but I would not suggest choosing this hotel if you have several pieces of heavy luggage.

The room was clean and quite spacious, with a comfy bed, and Wi-Fi was free and efficient. However, no lock box in the room, and no toiletries in the bathroom (but they provided with clean towels), so be sure to bring your shower gel and shampoo.

When arriving at the hotel in the morning, I was unpleasantly surprised by the closeness of railway tracks - even with windows closed, I could hear trains passing by, so I became worried for my night sleep. Luckily, at night I was not bothered - maybe trains were less frequent, or maybe I was just too tired.

Breakfast was correct, nothing exceptional, coffee from a coffee machine, some fruit, cereals, milk, yogurt, a lot of pastries from supermarket. There is a fridge, so I think you can bring your own food - but breakfast room is closed during the day.

Overall, for an overnight stay, I had what I needed, but I would not recommend La Magnolia for a longer stay.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room not overlooking railway tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed during the Verona Half Marathon, and it turned out AC Milan were in town against Chievo Verona. It's impossible to book matches online without a special fan card (to combat hooliganism), so after I emailed Roberto he went to the stadium personally and got our tickets. He didn't even charge us for doing so.

The building itself is historic and full of character. It's located between the train station and city centre, so ideal for most travelers. We had the loft room which was well furnished with a small bathroom attached.

I'd recommend this place, mostly for the very helpful host but also the location. It's certainly well priced for Verona.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple