“Almost OK”
Review of Hotel De La Ville

Hotel De La Ville
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Vicenza
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went back and forth between a poor and OK rating for the Hotel de la Ville because there are some positives. The location for me was ideal; Vicenza is not the easiest place to get around, so the walking distance location to many of the city center spots and to the train station is good. Also, let me compliment one of the ladies at the hotel reception. She was accommodating, knowledgeable, patient and polite. Now, on to the restaurant, flat out – Don’t eat there. I ate dinner the first night, they insisted that I make a reservation, and then I sat in a dining room with 20-30 tables with three or four other people, in the mostly unoccupied, main dining room. The food was OK, but just OK, and the waiter was nice. At breakfast, maybe I committed an Italian sin, but I asked for a second cup of coffee. The waitress glowered at me and told me, “one minute”. Then, she went into the back, chatted for 5 minutes or so, and then came out with a tray and started bussing tables. Not anything like four start hotel service that I have ever seen. Also, my room falls short of that four stars promised at the hotel's main entrance. It is small, and the entire room had only two electric outlets, and one did not work. Today with travelers needing to recharge laptops, cell phones, and other devices, this is not convenient. I had to unplug the minibar in order to use my laptop. There is a very disturbing, peeling veneer, rotting wood condition next to the bathroom sink that frankly, makes me grimace. If I am in Vicenza again I will try another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sjs4711
There are newer reviews for Hotel De La Ville

Reviewed 29 October 2013

On a business trip I asked for an ironto be sent to my room. It was on a weekend the staff told me that we don't have irons. When I asked furhter she told me where the shop was if I wanted to buy one. Very poor for a hotel that has busines travellers and the receptionist told be that they had had other similar complaints!. I can't help but feel that the cutlure is not right in this hotel; the girls in the restaurant at breakfast were very un-engaging and the atmosphere flet really flat and with no atmosphere. The way the staff engage wtih a customer can totally transform the experience; I can't help but feel that the buck stops with the manager. Very disappointing stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here with friends during a recent cycle trip.

Our friends were told that they were getting a room upgrade. They referred to their room as "disgusting". Big, but with moldy floors in the bathroom. Stained carpeting. The bathroom was falling apart, with the shower rod held in place by toilet paper.

Relative to our friends our room was acceptable but not great. There was mold on the walls in the bathrooms.

The breakfast was the worst of our trip. Every table in the place was dirty, and no one seemed to be cleaning up. The food was stale. Bread was hard. And the eggs were cold and an unnatural color. It was as though no one cared in the slightest.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stefan H
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Maybe because I had high hopes but I was neither happy nor disappointed. What do say.. it was decent but maybe not enough for its number of stars. Room was clean and the service was nice. Bathroom was spacious. It was just ok not excellent.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The room was clean, but poor finished, there was a "glue" on the sink in the toilet.The furniture smelled really bad when you opened them. The bed was comfy.

The food was good, but with few mistakes for example the pasta was undercooked and the meat was too dry.
The service was very slow. To receive few drinks in the bar you need to wait 25 min. I wouldn't recommend this hotel there have to be better ones in the City like Vicenza.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My son and I stayed for one night in a Junior Suite on our way to Venice. While the rooms were showing some age, and the location is not very prestigious (especially after dark when it becomes apparent that this is the "red light" strip with street walkers in abundance out the front) the rooms were large and clean. Reception staff were helpful and it was an easy enough walk to the centre of the old town. Given the very reasonable price we were pleased to have such a spacious room given the cubby holes we had become used to.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This four-star hotel is a lovely place to stay in Vicenza, although the outside and front is a little unwelcoming with construction in progress. I booked the room via booking.com and paid €142 for two people for two nights, which is very reasonable for a four-star hotel in the peak season. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. One of the upsides is the free and fast wifi, which is hard to find in Europe. We had dinner in the restaurant the second night, and the food and service were very good. We were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor, room 420. It overlooked the main road out front, and was nice and quiet as it's at the end of the hallway. There was a fridge in the room with three bottles of water in it, but nothing else that was advertised. Overall the room was clean and comfortable, and the air conditioning worked very well, which is also difficult to find in Europe at times.

It's a little further from the train station than I had previously thought, but is a good stop over off the main line between Milan and Venice, or off the A4 autostrada, with Verona and Padova within easy reach by train or car. They have their own car park for drivers, and I would recommend taking a cab if you have lots of luggage and are arriving by train/bus.

However, it isn't located in a very good neighbourhood, and you need to keep your wits about you at night, especially if you walk into the centre of town for dinner. The centre of Vicenza is beautiful, one must not miss it!

The hotel is good for people who want to travel on a budget but hang their hats in a reasonably clean and comfortable place, as it isn't in the centre of Venice. I would certainly return.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor, room 420. It overlooked the main road out front, whic...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends