“Bright, cheerful and very friendly!”
Review of Hotel Doge

Hotel Doge
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Vicenza
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A business associate booked me in to this hotel and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms are small but very clean and functional and the staff were super helpful. I might add that I've never travelled in Europe before so my standards might not be zeroed just yet.

Would recommend to anyone looking for a good little place to hole up and rest for a night.

Room Tip: 107 was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had a reservation that had an error with a date. Instead of them helping me find a new hotel to stay at - they basically yelled at me about "it isn't a reservation". Plus DO NOT submit your credit card on THEIR SITE. IT IS NOT A SECURE SITE!!!! That is originally how I contacted them via email because I don't use nonsecure sites. No problem we have a room for you. Clearly, I needed a room and had language barrier. No help what so ever. They basically told me to leave. So rude and unprofessional. Is it too much to ask to help another human being? Plus I would have tipped them 20 euros for helping.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am an expat living in Italy and have done a ton of traveling through the whole of Europe so I usually know what to expect as far as local standards and I set my bar from there. I was a bit disappointed in our stay at this hotel and although the hotel was fine it was not exactly what we were thinking it would be. First, I really wanted a hotel in the center of the action and was lead to this hotel by searching TA for a downtown hotel. In fact it is quite a bit out and in a residential area with not many places of interest near by. During our stay we found that there were hotels in the heart of town at the same cost and if you are looking for a stay in historic Vicenza, you would be better off in a hotel in that location. There are also nicer areas with hotels and residence on the outside of town that are about the same distance from the old town and offer much quainter surroundings than this one. Second, we had a triple room on the ground floor and it did not come close to resembling the one depicted on their website. It had no windows, only double glass doors that opened to the parking area and if you wanted fresh air, the only thing to do was to open them and let the entire parking lot see in. I actually waved to the front desk clerk as she left for the evening from my bed! I did ask to be moved to another room as the hotel did not seem busy but was told that triple rooms are only on the main floor which made me wonder why they showed a room with a window on there website? We did find that the common areas were nice and clean as seen on the website but they offered no ambiance, no music, cold water, coffee, and so on. I thought it was a shame as they were so nice but completely silent and empty and not very welcoming. The hotel could have even upped the rate a small bit and offered a wine and cheese hour or something in those areas and it would have been very fitting for the environment. They do offer a breakfast included in the rate in the reception area but it was subpar for this price at a boutique hotel. The bread and produce where day old, there was no toaster or warm items and most of the rest was all prepackaged type foods. My husband would not eat it the second morning and opted to pay for it elsewhere. I also thought it was odd that the hotel took your car keys just incase of an emergency? It just didn't make sense since I would have wanted them in my pocket if they were to be one! They insisted that we leave them so we did. Lastly, the electricity in the room was a headache. You must input your room key to activate the electricity so you could not charge anything when you were out or leave anyone in the room who might want to rest and watch t.v. or you would either be locked out or have to pound on the door until the woke and let you in. They were also motion activated and would shut of while you were laying in bed or on the pot. I banged myself up pretty good trying to get up and activate them in the dark a few times. Really, really annoying to say the least. In summary, I would probably not stay here again knowing the facts and other choices offered in Vicenza. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Find one elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank soldanother1
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Hotels are known to be very caring about their guests. Free welcome drinks, amenities, room upgrades, free WiFi, free breakfast, free parking etc. But this hotel even pretended to care about my car!

It is important to note that there is really nothing wrong about the hotel. The hotel is situated in a quiet residential neighbourhood. There is a safe underground parking available (for EUR 5.00 per day), the rooms are refurbished and the free Wifi is stable in all areas of the building.

The odd thing about my stay here at the Hotel Doge in Vicenza (Italy) was the question at the check-in: “Can we have your car keys, please?” “I beg your pardon, why?”
“In case of emergency, for example a fire, we will get your car out of the garage”

Unfortunately, there is no dining available at the Hotel Doge so I asked at the reception. Just around the corner one can find the Ristorante O’ Sole Mio (Via San Martino 45, Vicenza). No more questions about the car keys when I left the lobby. After a delicious meal at O’Sole Mio I returned to the hotel for a nightcap in the courtyard.

There is a small but tasty breakfast buffet available in the morning just in the hotel lobby area. Even proper coffee (resp. Espresso) is served and none of this vendor machine dishwater.

For an overnight stay in Vicenza / Italy I can really recommend to book a room at the Hotel Doge. As I arrived by car I could not say anything about the connectivity with public transport. The staff is friendly, the area safe and quiet, free Wifi is available and an underground parking provided. The refurbished rooms are small but ok, clean and the shutters even close automatically.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ScherrAir
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for three nights during our motorbike tour in Italy.we specially appreciated the underground parking and the quicy of the rooms.
The hotel is located very close to the old town-around 10 minutes walking.the room was big enough and the bathroom was even better.also the people of the hotel are very polite and very helpful.
The only two things which are not in so higher level is the very slow wifi or the absence of signal and the poor breakfast.all other things were great for this kind of hotel and money.for sure worth it even with those two minor disadvantages

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed here for a few nights for business. The place is clean, effectively run and comfortable. A good compromise between modern comfort and old style interiors. The only area that I found lacking was the breakfast food. Very limited choice.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Small, quiet, well maintained hotel in residential area. 20 minute walk to city center. Very clean with an excellent servce oriented staff. Breakfast included, 90 Euro/ night. Parking in secure area, either outside or underground for 5 Euro/day. WIFI free, but marginal signal. Breakfast of breads, yogurt, ham, cheese of very average quality. If breakfast and WIFi were improved, this hotel would be rated as excellent all around. 10 minute drive to train station. Two excellent restaurants, just minutes away, by foot. Try la Fojeta and Hosteria Fortuna Vecia.We would definitely return here if visiting Vicenza.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple