“Don't even bother the people are con artists”

Bari Backpackers - Santa Claus Hostel
Bari Backpackers - Santa Claus Hostel
Ranked #26 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Bari
Bari italy
“Don't even bother the people are con artists”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Wow, the breakfast offered was a few chocolate biscuits on a dirty table and a mouldy green yogurt, the bathrooms had pubic hairs inside the shower floor and no towels were offered even after we had paid for them, the bed was clean but the place is dirty, and not what it seems, if u book for accomodation in the bari vecchia, they will put you about 2 Kim's from hat position, terrible place so bad

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Simm0travels

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This place is hard to find. We stayed in the apartment. It was musty, not very clean. The towels were tiny and didn't look very clean. The biggest problem we had was that what we were promised was not delivered. There was no wifi, no breakfast (just instant coffee you could brew yourself and one croissant from a box). The guy was rude and demanded our cash upfront. There is no office, no one to contact with questions or needs. This place has potential, but they are not putting any effort into it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eliza L

Travellers are raving about these Bari hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The happy octopus logo couldn't be more unsuitable, and so is the information on the website. Most of it just isn't true. I arrived in Bari late in the evening, after a long and very much delayed trainride from Napoli. Despite several attempts to have them pick me up from the train station with their 'comfortable Chrysler Voyager', no reply was ever send. A 15 euro taxi ride was the only option, to finally arrive at a dark little alley. The guy at the door was very rude immediately, for me being so late. I was told that there is a 00u curfew. He showed me a bunkbed upstairs, via probably the most dangerously steep and rickety stairs you can imagine. Another traveller I met up there didn't seem too happy about the place either. Anyway, thankfully I stayed here for one night only, to leave next morning for Brindisi and leave Italy.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Julesverne1986
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This is my first time to stay in a hostel. Service is very friendly, however, this place is very dirty. The blanket seems never wash and the toilet is always wet. I can never sleep all night and I felt very itchy. It located in the old town so prepare a map to look them up.
I will not return to this place, however, I dont think Bari is that bad, it is a interesting and tradition city, welcome to bari for experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We finally found this place after a bunch of searching around Piazza San Pietro. It looked promising with pirate octopi on all their signs and sort of a grungy, cool, hostel feel.

They advertised on the door that someone was there everyday between 11-2 and then also in the evening. We got there at about 11 and knocked. No answer, we waited, knocked, waited, knocked, asked people in the neighborhood. Finally, we went to buy a phone card and called them. A man answered and said he'd be over soon. We waited a bit, he came, checked us in, showed us the room, etc. The room is up a very steep and narrow set of stairs. It's pretty small, but standard with bunk beds and lockers. The kitchen is very small and the included breakfast is just boxed cereal that you handle yourself. There no full or part time staff, just the guy you have to call to be checked in.

After being there a couple minutes, my friend started having trouble breathing. The air smelled musty, and while it didn't bother me, she seemed to be having an allergic reaction. Even after the whole ordeal to get into this place, we obviously had to move since breathing is one of the more important things in life.

When we told the guy, he got PISSED. He said we had signed a contract and he wouldn't give us our money back. We threatened to go to the police (since the station's right across the street) and he said, "go ahead." We called another number on the door and the guy (owner?) was incredibly rude and insulting. He finally came down, talked to his employee, shoved our money at us and threw us out with a scowl and somewhat threatening manners.

Bari is not the greatest place in the world anyway, but there's no reason to torture yourself by coming here.

P.S. On our way to our replacement hostel, we passed a dessert festival in on of the old town squares and had the most amazing canoli of our lives! It was a Sunday near the end of March.

Room Tip: Go to a different hostel
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank khismet
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Take this review for what it's worth, considering this was our first night in Italy after a long day of travel. Having never truly traveled through Europe, my girlfriend and I were bound to be overwhelmed regardless of where we began our Italian trip. Bari, however, was awful.

First off, I'd suggest avoiding Bari. Compared to the rest of the country, it is a terrible place. We didn't have a choice, however, since our flight through RyanAir landed in Bari at 10:00 PM.

The owners were nice enough, but the place itself was scary. My girlfriend, a tough girl mind you, had to hold back tears the entire night. Cold, smoky, and not very comfortable, the hostel itself really had nothing going for it. The bathroom would have been the worst part had it not been for the breakfast. Pre-packaged 50 cent rolls. Laughable.

I'd suggest never going to Bari, but if you do, don't stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L0VEB1RDS
London
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The hostel did not confirm my reservation, didnt answer my phone calls but felt free to charge my credit card a no show fee even when their staff assured me this wouldnt happen since they never received my reservation! When i asked them to refund my card they pretty much said "too bad" and said I can go ahead and complain to anyone i like. Unfortunately i have not found any Italian authorities to complain to, please let me know if anyone knows of an official tourism authority that takes such hostel complaints.

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo