“Best B&B hands down”

Ranked #3 of 261 Alghero B&B and Inns
Davis, California, United States
“Best B&B hands down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Don't be fooled by the outer appearance. The apartment is situated about 5 minutes from the main beach of Alghero, five from downtown alghero where all the shopping stores are, and another 5 from old town alghero inside the castle walls. It is perfectly situated for those who don't wish to travel far on foot to get around. Gemma was the perfect host. Upon arriving, she laid out an entire presentation of the city, where to sight see, where to eat, where to watch the sunset, what beaches to visit. She is a mine of information, and her insight was greatly appreciated. The breakfast was the best we had our whole trip, not to mention the daily supply of fresh fruit, juice, water, and whatever else we needed. Fresh bath towels, beach towels, beach umbrella. She really covers it all. Easily the best and friendliest and accommodating B&B i've ever been to, much better than most hotels!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

It is nicely located close to the old town, the harbor and the bus station. The apartment is clean and there is no noise from the street. After arrival we got information from the owners about nice restaurants, the best beaches that Alghero had to offer, time table of the busses to get there and a parasol for the sun. Gemma and her husband were extremely helpful with everything. Gemma asked when we wanted to eat breakfast and prepared delicious coffee with local cheeses, pastries, hams and fresh croissants. Since I have food allergy and can´t eat bread Gemma was preparing things that I could eat instead. In the refrigerator there was water to drink and fruit to eat after a long day at the beach. My girlfriend is normally extremely picky and she thought the bed was somewhat hard. Apart from that she was very satisfied. We had lived in twice as expensive hotel called Alma DiAlgero before and Lloc d'Or B&B was much more enjoyable stay than that hotel. If we return to Alghero we would like to stay at this Bed and Breakfast again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lahaina, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Arriving here late in the day and having not read some of the reviews below which warn of this situation, we were distressed when we rang the bell to the B&B and discovered that a Swedish family were occupying the place and there was no room for us there. After a few failed attempts to phone the owner who does not live on the property and with mild panic setting in, we had just decided to search out other accommodations when he showed up and told us that we'd been booked into the apartment above his home a few blocks away. Relieved that we'd have a place to stay but still wondering what we were in for, especially as we trekked up the 4 flights of stairs to their apartment, we were more than pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find an attic apartment with separate bedroom, bathroom and living/dining rooms with a rooftop deck looking over adjacent buildings to the sea. Not fancy but clean and homey, we had a wonderful stay. Giovanni and Gemma were the most gracious hosts, providing us with lots of tips on local cuisine and restaurants, places to visit and tales of Alghero's history. They let us schedule when we wanted to have breakfast and would show up at our door at the agreed upon time with a plentiful supply of coffee, local pastries, cheeses, hams and bread. We had been on the road for awhile and needed to find a local laundry but when we asked them where we could find one, Gemma insisted on washing some of our clothes herself while we went out to explore the area. Unbelievably helpful.
The location was great: a few short blocks to the promenade and a 10-15 minute walk to the old walled city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Esher, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were apprehensive about what was awaiting us here. I had booked a double room with a private bathroom with a booking agency in November 2012, but had later read a few reports which mentioned sharing a bathroom. I emailed Gemma in April 2013 for clarification and she told me not to worry because the room had a private bathroom. Three days before we left the UK in June, I received an email from Gemma saying that there had been some confusion and that if we wanted a private bathroom she could put us up in an apartment in her own house for an extra €30. We smelled a rat, basically, but had to agree because it was too late to find an alternative. Gemma's home turned out to be a flat on the top floor, the fourth, of a block of flats with no lift. The apartment, which is essentially an unfinished attic apartment, is reached by a wobbly wooden staircase in her living room. The entrance door to the apartment is the only door in it. The bathroom and living room are separated by a curtain which is too narrow for the door frame. There were exposed pipes for radiators and wires hanging out of the walls awaiting light fittings, although the main lighting had been installed. The air conditioning was only in the living room and, although you could connect a laptop to the broadband, there was no wi-fi connection for an ipad or any other tablet. Despite not being finished, the apartment is well equpped and has a wonderful sea view from the balcony. However, as it is directly over their living room you could hear Gemma and her husband, Giovanni, talking, they both had very loud voices, and the television blaring. As a result we did not find our three night stay there relaxing but we could not fault Gemma and her family's hospitality. Gemma was very helpful in planning our day to day itineraries and served delicious fresh bread and pastries from the local bakery each morning with cheeses and ham along with other jam, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Venezia1751
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

My fiancé and I had a 4 night stay in Alghero in mid May, and I booked here based on the positive reviews here. When I contacted them 2 weeks prior, unfortunately Gemma didn´t have availability for the 4 nights, only for 3 nights, and not in the B&B but in an apartment in their own home close by. So based on another review here I thought, ok, let´s try it. So we did not stay in the actual B&B but in an apartment.
We were picked up at the airport (for a fee) by Gemma´s smiling and welcoming husband, Giovanni.
When we arrived and walked into the apartment, WOW, this far exceeded our expectations. So big, airy, and in fact, it was a loft- apartment with a big terrace overlooking the bay and beach.
We loved it! It had all amentities, and a fridge filled with water and juice. There were also tea and coffee you could make. Next morning we were greeted by a smiling Gemma, who came with fresh breakfast to our roo.. Apartment! What a breakfast! It had everything you could ask for, and even yummy fresh croissants! And the coffee was the best I´ve had - ever! Gemma was so friendly and nice, and gave us lots of tips on where to go and what to see.
They always asked the day before at what time we would like breakfast the next day, so this is also a hughe pluss as we could decide and not have to worry about any time schedule.
We loved everything about this place. Gemma and Giovanni are such nice, heartwarm and friendly people, they made us feel very welcome and it actually felt like we were visiting family.
It was sad to leave as we really loved it there, and the last night we had in Alghero we stayed at Elclaca B&B, but I think after staying here at Gemma&Giovanni´s place, having to review other places will just not be in a totally unbiased spirit.
If you stay here at Gemma& Giovanni´s apartment, you will not regret! The best location, breakfast, hosts and apartment is here! I never saw the actual B&B but based on reviews, and my experience, it would not be a drawback to stay there instead of the apartment.
As a note, you have to keep in mind that the apartment is in their own home, meaning that you have to walk through their own livingroom to walk up the stairs to the apartment. You get your own key, so coming and going when you want is absolutely no problem.

I´d love to come back here!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My boyfriend and I flew into Sardinia for the weekend and stayed at Gemma's B&B. I absolutely loved the place! The location was perfect...close enough to old town, bus still near the beach. It was great to be able to walk everywhere. The B&B itself was adorable...My boyfriend and I shared one room while another couple had the other room. It was prettty spacious and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was not ensuite, but that wasn't really a problem. Everything was REALLY clean. Gemma and/or her husband comes through and cleans every day. It was literally spotless. Breakfast in the morning was excellent. It was nice that she asked us what time we wanted it...Some B&Bs only serve at a certain time and if you have to leave or what not, then you just don't get breakfast. Which is a shame especially since you already paid for it. Gemma let us pick when we wanted it and it was delicious.

I can't say enough about how friendly Gemma and her husband were...They definately made our stay! Gemma was full of information about the island and made sure that we were totally set up with everything...She also let us and the other couple check out late and leave our bags in the B&B, which was really nice. Our flight wasn't until like 3pm or so, and I hate having to drag all my luggage around town with me.

The one thing that is worth mentioning, which isn't really a bad thing, but it is something worth noting...Gemma and her husband do not live in the B&B, they live down the street. When you book the room, make sure you contact Gemma and arrange a time to check in, or make sure you have a phone to call. I had my iphone with me, so it was no problem, but the other couple did not, but the rang the doorbell so my boyfriend and I let them in. It wasn't a really big deal or anything, just something you might want to plan for.

Room Tip: Both rooms were very nice.