“I'll be back.”

Il Sogno di Alghero
London, United Kingdom
“I'll be back.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From start to finish our stay at Il Sogno di Alghero was unbeatable.

I travelled to Sardinia with two friends and we stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment (+ sofabed). The apartment was really spacious and clean, with an abundance of lovely mirrors with what looked like handmade frames lining the walls. Alessandro and Monica are seriously fantastic hosts - we arrived to a freshly prepared cake (delicious) a fridge stocked with milk, juice and a large bottle of water, some croissants and tea/coffee. One night Monica popped along to where we were sitting in the garden to give us a generous plate of freshly baked bread rolls. We were utterly spoilt.

Alessandro is an incredibly warm and friendly character. He is super approachable and eager to tell you lots about the island - but gives you plenty of space, as it should be. Monica and Alessandro live in the building (which if I remember correctly has 9 apartments or so) and were always around if we needed them. We took two of Alessandro's recommendations - a sunset aperitif at Hotel Catalunya and a sunset drink at an old dairy farm in the hills a short drive away. Both were essential in making our trip the fantastic three days that it was - we're very grateful.

The pool was pretty cold when I had a dip (it hadn't been very warm the day before) but is a decent size and depth (with a rather entertaining shape...)

I'll be back one summer for sure.

Things to note:

* Alessandro and Monica have four gorgeous little dogs. They're incredibly friendly and sweet.
* There is a supermarket 5mins drive away
* The lane where you find Il Sogno di Alghero is rather dusty and potholed - drive carefully!
* there's plenty of parking space so don't panic - there'll be space for you!
* There's a huge bbq - we didn't get a chance to use it, but buy firelighters and don't miss out like we did!

Thank you Alessandro and Monica for an AMAZING time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just back from a week in stunning Sardinia- an unforgettable holiday, largely due to our hosts at Il Sogno. The location of the villa is perfect-it really is different from the typical tourist stays.Quiet, peaceful, incredibly spacious, spotlessly clean, I could go on and on but what makes this really stand out is the attention and care given to all guests from Monika and Alessandro. Their love and enthusiasm of the country is infectious, we were guided to amazing places and given very good advice re trips etc .On Easter Sunday when we returned after our day travelling, they came down to the apartment with a dish of hot food and Easter wishes!I I won't wax on about how good it is -I will say- see for yourself!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deirdre B
Alghero, Italy
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Clean and quite large rooms , lovely dogs, and the kitchen is my mother's favorite place. The sight seen is quite beautiful, especially the beach. Watching the sunset is the most romantic thing. The host is very kind and patient, in one word "perfect", in Chinese saying “完美”。

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

You must have a car if you are staying here. My wife, two children and I stayed here in June of this year (sorry Alessandro and co for the late review been very busy). We enjoyed ourselves very much during our stay. Alessandro’s wife made my wife a cake as it was her birthday (thanks again). Our two boys (3 and 4) enjoyed playing with the dogs and running around in the big garden at the back. I can’t recall if the pool was heated but it was nice and the sun kept it warm (it’s a little deeper at one end so make sure you have floats if traveling with young children). We flew into Olbia Airport where we collected our hire car. The drive to Alghero took a couple hours and was easy going. If you have a smartphone like I do I downloaded co-pilot (sat NAV) beforehand and you get one free European map so I chose Italy. This App does not use data just GPS so you won’t get charged extra. Alessandro provided instructions to get to his and they were spot on. I think we took a wrong turn once, but that was because I wasn’t concentrating. The drive was stunning in parts so I am glad we chose this option. We went to a different beach every day, Sardians are lovley people and very accommodating. The trip through the mountains was lovely. My one bit of advice is not to bother with the Grotto, I preferred walking down the side of the cliff rather than going into the grotto.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mo_one
Mahwah
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 9 days traveling around Sardinia and this was one of the best places that we stayed at. It was a short stay as we got to the B&B around 2 pm and were on the road again the next morning by 10am. Upon our arrival we were immediately greeted by the "innkeeper" Allessandro. My boyfriend speaks Italian but I don't. Allessandro speaks a bit of English and was doing his best to keep me in the conversation, which I very much appreciated. He is extremely friendly and gave us some great suggestions on how to make the most of our 1 night in Alghero. We walked around the "old town", saw a spectacular sunset and ate a great meal in a "locals" restaurant. When we told Allessandro where our next destination in Sardinia would he recommended a beach to stop at vs the more popular touristy beach. He is very knowledgeable not only about Alghero but also the surrounding area.

The B&B is about 10 minutes from the heart of Alghero. The grounds are beautiful. There is a place to exercise or just lounge in a hammock outside. My boyfriend and I got up early the morning of our departure and found a very tranquil spot to do some meditation.

Our room at the B&B was spacious, especially compared to most rooms at other hotels in Italy. The room was very well decorated with a king size bed, a little area with a table & chairs to eat at, a refrigerator and a couple of burners if we felt like cooking. Although this is called a B&B there was not a main dining room in the main house where everyone ate. Each room had the breakfast food in it and you ate in your room. Mainly croissants with homemade jam, granola, yogurt & coffee....all very delicious.

The bathroom was also spacious with plenty of hot water. My only complaint would be that there was no soap or shampoo in the room. I had my own soap and when I asked Allessandro for shampoo it was hand delivered in less than 5 minutes.

I highly recommend Il Songo di Alghero!!!

1 Thank Jeryl K
Dessel, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent 12 days in this b&b. Allessandro & Monico are the perfect hosts. Always friendly and glad that they can share their happinness and their gorgeous property with their guests. Allessandro really gave us the best advice for beaches, villages, restaurants,... We've seen things and have been to places who were fantastic thanks to his advice. Otherwise we would never have found this places. Il Sogno di Alghero is only 15 minutes from the airport en 10 minutes from the very pleasant town Alghero. It's a quiet and peaceful place to relax at the swimmingpool with a beautiful view on the mountains and the olive trees. Allessandro & Monica would do everything to make you feel at home! We would certainly recommend this b&b to anyone!

London
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My girlfriend and I spent several days staying here in September 2013.

As many others have said, Alessandro and Monica are wonderfully hospitable and helpful.

To put this into context, down the years I have travelled to well over 100 countries, staying in all manner of accommodation from 5* hotels to backpacker hostels. I have been to Italy alone around 15 times. And in all that time worldwide, I cannot think of better, kinder hosts.

We were supposed to be self-catering but Monica brought us delicious, homemade cakes and bread. For our final night, they even went shopping for us so that we could try some of the tastiest local specialities - colurgiones, pecorino cheese, ham and sausage.

Alessandro is great fun and a fantastic source of information and tips, not only for Alghero and the north-west corner of Sardinia but the whole island. We visited places he suggested that weren't on our maps and eateries well outside tourist areas and they all proved worthwhile and some of the highlights of our trip.

I enjoyed swimming lengths in the pool by day and night and the apartments are clean, attractive and good value. This is the perfect place to relax in the Sardinian countryside and use as a base for exploring what is a beautiful island with a great climate, hundreds of nice beaches and endless eating opportunities. It is handy for Alghero airport and the town as long as you have a car.

I cannot recommend Il Sogno di Alghero any more highly to anyone wanting a restful, homely, authentic, rustic experience rather than the usual, dull resort hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alghero
Airone Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,029 reviews
Carlos V Hotel
Carlos V Hotel
#6 of 49 in Alghero

Been to Il Sogno di Alghero? Share your experiences!