“Good food, slow service”
Review of Caffe Costantino

Caffe Costantino
Ranked #316 of 385 Restaurants in Alghero
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I visited this place on several occasions while staying in Alghero because we liked the location inside the old city walls. The terrace is nicely decorated with lots of flowers and it is nice for couples to enjoy the evening. Food is OK, we tried meat and pasta and we liked it all. Prices are OK, it is not too expensive and coffee is good, too. The problem is service. They are very slow and not very kind. You cannot see a smile on their faces or get some information about the food you are ordering. If you want to order something, you have to wait and wait until someone notices you, and then wait some more to get your food.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had a nice swordfish and a mixed grill meal here served with fresh chips and salad .It was tasty and freshly cooked. However when I added up the bill we were overcharged by 5 euro and by the attitude of the waiter it was not an accident and we didn't even get an apology . We then paid and were owed 3 euro change which he made no attempt to return to us. We always tip anyway but hate it to be taken for granted . I wouldn't trust this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Made the mistake of not researching this place first, but was drawn in by the number of people already attending. Until this experience I'd thought it almost impossible to have a bad Italian meal, but as I now know having read an earlier reviewer's explanation of the categorisation of Italian eateries then it's no real surprise that this place mugs tourists by presenting plates which invariably consist of microwaved chips (called potatoes on the menu) at one end, with an insipid salad at the other, sandwiched between you may find chicken or fish of the type suggested, but without doubt not cooked from fresh. I ended up being charged 50 euros for a 2 course meal for 2 persons which insulted my intelligence and nearly ended my love affair with Italian food. Thankfully there are much better options for any tourist visiting Alghero, but do your research first!

4  Thank Ashwat8
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Caffe Costantino is placed in Piazza Civica, the main square of downtown Alghero. You can eat out in the terrace, under the shade of the building, which is really cool and nice, and the decoration of the café inside is very attractive.
The café is very popular with tourists because it offers international fast food (hamburgers, sandwiches, chicken, scampi, sausages) with chips, vegetables and salad for less than €11, but the Italian food we ate was rather poor: the pre-cooked lasagna was sprawling all over the dish, the risotto was overcooked, and the tiramisú was good, but you can eat better recipes. We had a salad with a local brown sausage as appetizer which was good.
We finally paid €65 for 4 meals, and we probably could have eaten better in a restaurant in any of the other squares of the town, or on the ramparts along the sea shore.

1  Thank Ignacio B
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Despite of its good situation, it's a poor place to take a lunch. Tasteless food and the worst rissotto I've never tasted. I was prefered to go to a McDonald's!

2  Thank Jimber81