“fabulous stay in top quality hotel”
Review of Carlos V Hotel

Carlos V Hotel
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Alghero
Wicklow, Ireland
“fabulous stay in top quality hotel”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel is lovely. The staff are very pleasant, particularly the bar & waiting staff. The hotel itself is very clean and well situated, the pool is quite large. All in all the Carlos V has everything you could want for a pleasant, enjoyable holiday. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Slovak first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed in Carlos V hotel for 3 nights at the end of a 12 day holiday in Sardinia in September. I have to say that it lives up to the 5 start quality. Firstly the rooms lovely with a big bed and large balcony, the bathroom had a hugh shower which was lovely. The staff at the reception very very friendly and explained everything to regarding towels breakfast and free minibar to us on arrival. Breakfast was the best we encountered in the 3 hotels we stayed in on our trip to Sardinia. I had only one complaint. The day we arrived we were sitting by the pool and I ordered cappuccino with a shot of expresso in both. The young barman sneered and said that cappuccino had a shot of expresso in it. After I explained that I wanted a double expresso in it he agreed to make it. Later that day my husband encountered the same youngster when he went to order sandwiches. He got a very smart and sneering reply when he tried to point out where we were sitting by the pool. The next morning I encountered the same youngster in the breakfast room. When I asked where we should sit he replied anywhere. When I went to sit at a table he once more was rude and told me that table was taken. I took him aside and had some words with him regarding his treatment of the guests in the hotel. From that moment he was all smiles and helpful throughout out stay. The staff at the pool and everywhere else in the hotel were super and I would recommend this hotel.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We spent three nights here at the end of a nine night trip to Sardinia.
We had a superior room, and for once reality exceeded expectation, as the room was excellent.
It was spacious, and oozed quality. It had a very spacious balcony with excellent views over the bay of Alghero. The bed was huge, and linen superior, as we're all the room facilities, including a free mini bar.
Breakfast was varied with an egg chef who looked like Super Mario!
The swimming pool was good, with ample sun beds, and clean towels.
It was an easy walk in to the old town of Alghero, and if we were to return, we would certainly stay here again.

Coventry, England
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed for 6 nights at the beginning of September.

If your idea of a 5 star hotel is a turndown service and chocolate on your pillow then I can see why some reviewers do not rate it as 5 star. I would however, disagree and say that the standard and quality of the property with the services offered do make it 5 star.

I would agree though that the reception is perhaps the weakest area. It does look rather dated and not as plush as one might expect. The electronic screen though with the weather forecast is very whizzy though!

Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice and a beautiful setting with views over the garden and pool. The comments about the quality of the coffee are fair I think. We had caffe latte on our first morning but were not impressed. We then switched to cappucino coffees and they were excellent. I also agree that the quality of the cereal was not the best but certainly no worse than I have experienced in other Italian hotels. The hot selection was excellent as was the option to have freshly cooked omlettes.

As others have stated, the pool is a major feature of the hotel. It is huge and very clean and well maintained. It would be useful if at check-in staff clarified how the towel system worked. I had read about it so I knew that we needed to obtain towel cards from reception. You then exchange your card for a towel from the pool man and then when you give the towel back you are given a card again so that you can obtain a towel the next day. The system works very well.

There seemed to be the usual problem of people putting their towels out early for the sunbeds in the best spots but there are lots of sunbeds so it wasn't a problem - quite amusing at breakfast to sit and watch people working out which sunbeds they wanted and then leaving their towels and going off!

The rooms are excellent. I didn't realise the minibar was complimentary which was a shame as it was quite well stocked and this is a nice touch. You do get the impression that the hotel is very reasonable with its charges and not out to make a quick buck. We had drinks from the bar near the pool and they were very reasonably priced.

The bed was large and contrary to other comments I found the bed very comfortable. The bathrooms are quite small but very clean and modern. I think a man must have chosen the hair dryers though as they had only one speed and it was very fierce. Good for drying but not at all suitable for trying to style hair!. The air conditioning was very quiet but unfortunately there was some other noise which made sleeping difficult. At first I thought it was the fridge - I tend to swtich fridges off because of the noise, but it wasn't that. The noise seemed to be coming from the air conditioning grill but we had switched the aircon off. I think it might had been residual noise from the aircon in the corridors or other rooms but it was quite annoying and we resorted to ear plugs! It was a real shame as there was no other noise at all from other guests or from outside.

Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking a bit of garden. The terrace was nice but unfortunately didn't get much sun though with the large sun terrace round the pool this wasn't a major problem.

The disappointment for me was that the gym did not open until 9.00am. As an early riser I would have liked to have been able to use the gym say at 7.00am/7.30am. As breakfast was only until 10.00am it would have been very difficult to fit in using the gym first thing before showering and going for breaktast. Bizarrely though the gym was open till 11pm at night! It I think it would be better if it opened earlier and, if necessary, closed earlier. The gym is large and has a good selection of equipment and looks out over the pool area.

Access to rooms on the second floor is strange. There are two elevators in the hotel but they don't both stop at all floors. We were on the second floor so we had to take the elevator to the third floor, then had quite a long walk to the other elevator to take this down to the second floor! It was OK once you figured it out and you could take the elevator on the second floor directly to the restaurant and to the gym - but to exit the building or go to the pool you had to use both lifts.

Obviously the current owners inherited this problem and without major rebuilding I don't think the issue can be resolved. The hotel were upfront about this when I made the reservation so I knew this would be the case and it was not a problem once you realised where both elevators were located.

As others have said, the hotel is located out of the town but it is an extremely pleasant walk into town and at night you get to see the fabulous sunsets at their best.

The old town at Alghero is lovely and there is no shortage of restaurants and cafes/bars. The new town is quite sprawling and didn't seem to offer much. Alghero has a small railway station and you can get a local train to Sassari which is a better town for major shopping - though the shops and boutiques in Alghero old town are very good.

Alghero was a bit too touristy for us but we loved Sardinia and will return to the island in future. If we did wish to visit Alghero again I would definitely stay at the Carlos V hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

1 Thank Team_DC
Biel, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We spent four nights at the hotel in September 2013. Our first impression was that the hotel was clean and friendly. The view of the coastline from the bar and pool area is very impressive. The restaurant which we tried once was also good when compared with some other restaurants in the town itself. The only negative experience was the refusal of the bar man to cut a pineapple that I had bought for my pregnant wife. We had already discussed this with the food and beverage manager in the morning who had obliged by giving us a knife and plate. This F&B manager also told me to come back and that his staff would do it for me if I was not successful. That was what I did. Sadly when I returned to the restaurant/bar area later the F&B manager was not around so I asked the aforementioned bar tender instead.This bar man was extremely rude and dismissive not asking why I wanted it cut or explaining his dismissive approach to me. He simply repeated "not possible" to me. He then lied to me saying that he did not have a knife. Eventually I tried to explain to him that a manager had already given me a knife and a plate to do it myself, but that the knife was not sharp enough. The bar man was eventually forced by a senior member of staff to cut the pineapple using a knife that he claimed he did not have. Bottom line the bar man should not be working in a 5 star hotel. Ignoring this incident the hotel was very pleasant and all other staff were friendly and helpful particularly in the reception area. The pool and facilities are also well kept and well worth a visit during your stay.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Spent 7 nights. Perfect location - seafront, 10 mins walk from old town. Very nice rooms, clean, big terrace. Very good service. Suggestions : the terrace (first floor, front sea view) is too big and nice for 2 small chairs + 1 table, the minibar content is pathetic for a 5 star hotel.
First floor rooms with sea view are a bit noisy from the traffic bellow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Kungsbacka
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel is very nice. Nice furbished rooms with high standard. Perfect, quiet location of hotel and helpful friendly and attentative staff. Salt water pool was really nice and showers too.
Lunch was mixed - very good to OK. Everything you can ask from for a 5 star hotel.
Breakfast buffet was super incl chef making yummy omelette.
Beds were too hard for my taste - but OK.