Hotel Villa Piras
  • Beachfront
La Margherita(Alghero)
Hotel Domomea(Alghero)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsair connice walkfelt like homeold townminute walksea viewrooftop terracewould stay againcontinental breakfastmain townnext morningpizzastar hotelfridgesupermarketbeacheseuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice hotel. Friendly atmosphere, though you have to communicate in italian, which works fine with body language even if you just know a few words. A bit difficult to reach by bus, the airport bus driver helpful but said 500 meters when it turned out to be 5 kilometers, which was a drag since we arrived late with a plane around midnight and were pulling our luggage. Next time we arrive with plane, she told us she could prebook a taxi that would be waiting for us. (25€). The airport bus (3€) was late, waiting for another late plane, and when we decided we wanted to take a taxi instead there were no taxis. Room furniture basic, hard beds, but we got a big nice balcony. The breakfast coffee from a nescafé machine didn't taste so good, but in the bar they made excellent italian coffee.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rickstream
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Staff v friendly the lady who owns the hotel speaks no English but made a great effort to explain everything about the hotel and other staff members did have v good English. Rooms clean but not decorated no headboards and v basic mdf furniture, wardrobes u cant reach etc bit like a room you might expect in a hostel, good air con & clean bathroom.The hotel is located as it says to the south of Alghero town and it takes only 15 mins to walk into town which is ideal but as locations go there is no view just houses all around it as it is at the end of a road to nowhere. We paid for parking in our booking but did not need to as there is loads of parking outside and the receptionist refunded us the cost with no hassle. Breakfast was fine and wifi in reception was easily accessed. For the price we paid we were happy with the hotel.. v basic but clean!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

After a long an tiring bike journey edn of may 2012 we decided to stop at the hotel. The lady received us with a nice and friendly smile, the rooms are newly renovated and clean. The restaurant was still unofrtunately closed (this was end of may 2012). Next day at the check-out we forgot to take back my driving license. We realized that we miss something 2 days later. I called the hotel and asked them to send the driving license to another hotel we booked in advance. The very friendly receptionist has sent the driving license on the costs of the hotel to our future hotel, act that I appreciated very much!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Z V
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Location: 15-20 min walk from Alghero centre in a very quiet area. A bit far, but strolling along the oceanfront is beautiful.
Room: Excellent. We stayed in a two-room apartment with a balcony. A/C in both rooms. Nice and large bathroom. Top end as far as family rooms go.
Reception: The friendliest reception in Italy (that I have encountered, of course).
Parking: Safe parking garage available near hotel (fee). Low-risk parking in front of hotel.
Breakfast: Continental, but with some added variety. Very good as far as continental goes. Served in a nice courtyard.
Overall: Excellent value, friendly, quiet. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Odd64
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed Villa Piras in May for 3 nights. My friend could not join because of trouble in the office... so she had to cancel her room 1 day prior to her arrival. She has been charged full 3nights, which was fine by her as it was mentioned Booking.com's cancellation policy.

So, I arrived on my own, walking from Bus stop in the central. From outside, you see the big balconies on the upper floor so naturally you would expect those ones to stay. Then I was given a room on the ground floor, you can guess my dissapointment.

The room was very big and clean, only lacking the natural light - which is a big issue for me. However, I thought maybe because I will be out all the time it would not bother...but actually it did. It has no view to outside, if you open the window you see next building and the hotel's landaury room which you hear the washing machine whirring.
On the back of room door, with somewhat stern English, there is a note which mentions early departure's penalty - that made me suspicious there may be many people complaining the room?
The next morning I asked for the change of room with more light.
The lady at the front does not speak English at all and it is completely full(yes, including my friend's cancelled room!), she said in Italian. So I was disheartened and had breakfast.

Breakfast here is not too bad for Italian standard. Normally Italian hotels you are served cake or cookies only! They have Yogurt and salami with Croissant and biscotti, and some fruits. The horrid was coffee from machine. And Fruit "juice drink". Can't get proper orange juice??

After breakfast I was called by the lady, and she said that I was one person so maybe I want single room upstairs.

The room indeed had only single bed but it was facing south I could see the bit of sea!
And the best part is it had that room size of balcony. So gladly I swap the room. The single room had no fridge in the room but I didn't stay for long term so it was fine.
There was no notification for early departure or room rate on the door.

This lady was very helpful even though I don't understand much of Italian, she was trying to explain the area and lend me a beach towel.

The nearby rocky beach was not very appetising maybe because it was still low-season, rubbish were everywhere.
So I borrowed a bicycle to cycle up to Maria Piras where pine tree forest and further to find pritine beaches.
Lido itself is OK but too many people and feel of "in the town".

When checking out, there was this lady again. She showed me the original booking form and asked for 210 euros. So Double for 3 nights, that was the deal. But I have changed to single. Surely the rate goes down?
That was too complicated to ask with language barrier. Anyway I had a good time and she was lovely, so I just settled the bill.

Some question came back when Booking.com had asked me the review. I checked Villa Piras website, and found the room rate was 50 for single room.
So I was overcharged 40 euro? I enquired the hotel.

The reply came. The single room upstairs is actually "superior" and 60 euros p/n.The reason it does not show on the website is evryone wants rooms with balcony. So Double room Upstairs is actually 80 instead of 70.
(So translating this, they want to fill up the ground floor rooms, they use Booking.com? Surely they should mention they are "economical room"?)
And the hotel has to pay the commission to Booking.com for 3nights double, so there is very little money they owe me so they can't make any transaction back to me.
Which is not appropriate as all they do is credit back to my account and charge the correct amount. When they could charge my friend's card without her presence,surely they know how to do it.

So they offered 10% discount my visit next time...lovely. How much of the chance I will go there next time soon?
By then I knew they had promotional rate for May/June, 63 euro for double at Trip Advisors, which pissed me off more.

However, don't be put off by my review - it is lovely hotel, probably I would not have minded that much being in the ground floor room if my friend had been with me. I assure you - just make sure you have a room with balcony and the rate is right!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo