All reviews croissants great location old town lovely hotel min walk air con hired a car shower balcony euros
Reviewed 25 August 2008

This hotel doesn't worth the price asked ( 150€ for three + breakfast). We have had to pay before for 3 nights. the room was very small, the bathroom also, the furniture and the bed must be cheap because bad level quality. the sight on the backyard and the neibourgh. The breakfast poor choice.
I don't recommand this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CireDN
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Fourth and last stop on our trip around Sardinia in 2007, El Balear was conveniently located but a bit pricey. But I can't complain too much, since i did not pre-book. Alghero is one lovely charming town, that is a very interesting cross between Sardinia and Catalunya. Different from the rest of the island, it is distinct in its architecture, perhaps the most interesting I've seen in Sardinia. There were charming restaurants and great walks. The hotel is in a good location since it faces the sea and is very near the old town. I had a bit of bad luck as the first room they gave me reeked of cigarettes even though it was a non-smoking room. The second one smelled OK but the view was non-existant. But I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel anyway, so who cares?

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frederico N
Reviewed 28 December 2007

My husband and I visited El Balear with a friend for a long weekend in August. The rooms are nice but on the small side and could use some updates. The balcony however was wonderful. Each night after a long day of scuba/touring/laying on the beach, our party shared a bottle of Sardinian wine and enjoyed the ocean views. As I sit at work now (and in the cold, German winter), I long for that balcony!

The staff was extremely friendly and provided us great recommendations for restaurants in the area. But for information on things to do during the day, I recommend taking a walk along the harbor and visiting the different vendors and comparing their offerings. I cannot encourage people enough to take a boat daytrip -- scuba/snorkling (beware the water is COLD!), sun, a nice lunch with wine on the boat and great views of the coastline!

The location is okay. You are within a short walk (10-15 min) from the historic old town and the harbor where most journeys begin. However, it is a bit of a hike (30 min) to the best beach on that side of town. While I would recommend the hotel, if I go again I will probably stay somewhere in between the best beach and the historic old town.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2007

My wife and I and a friend spent three nights here at the beginning of October 2007.

We found the hotel reasonably priced, well located for the old town, a ten-minute stroll along the sea front, clean, comfortable and generally well run.

The staff were helpful and friendly and at reception English was readily understood.

We were allocated rooms on the top floor in a modern block at the back. This was away from road noise and had a view of the sea over rooftops and of an attractive central garden. It was clear that some of the other rooms in the hotel had a far less favourable outlook.

Both rooms were a good size and very clean. They had balconies and were simply but adequately furnished, with plenty of hanging and storage space. Each had a small TV and air-conditioning. The attached bathroom had basin, bidet, WC and shower cubicle. Entry to the shower through a sliding glass panel was very limited and could cause a problem to a larger person.

Breakfast, which cost extra, was adequate though not memorable, except for the coffee – from an urn .This we can not recommend.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlanSW15
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I would say this hotel has one of the best locations in Alghero - well positioned for the historic town/bars/restarants. 3/4 min walk along sea front to town, 5 min walk to port, 10 min walk to beach. Safe walk back at night - well lit, etc.

Friendly staff, bar service with outdoor terrace seating. Spacious room with large balcony with sea views. Would probably benefit some refurbishment - we had a shower which flooded the bathroom everytime it was used! Would put up with this for the great location of this hotel.

Would recommend and stay again.

Stayed: October 2007