All reviewscroissantsgreat locationold townlovely hotelmin walkair conhired a carshowerbalconyeuros
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We had prebooked this hotel for one night based on its location close to the centre of town. It did the job but is seriously lacking in sex appeal and pzazz. Rooms are spartan and basic '80's 2 star and the shower rooms need updating. There is a pleasant courtyard in the centre of the building and some rooms have (restricted) sea views. Parking can be tricky. Breakfast was very ordinary and we didn't sample the restaurant which didn't appear particularly inviting in a town full of good eateries. Reception staff were helpful and obliging. A totally forgettable experience, Alghero is a great town to visit though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed here last night on 1-week trip to Sardinia. Just walked in a got a double room on third floor with partial seaview.... Overall decent 3-star hotel, nothing to write home about even though I am not so pessimistic about the bathroom as some earlier reviews... Maybe they have updated some...

Nice bed and great balcony with evening sun... Breakfast was ok with both the usual sugar rush products, but also bread, cheese and ham... we paid 100 Eur incl breafast for double room, which was their off season price... they charge extra for children, but waived that when we asked if we really needed to pay extra for our 4-year old...

We tried the dinner in the hotel and 20 Eur/pers was overpriced for the crap they served... So stay away from eating here for dinner... there is several restaurants on the road into the old town or 10min walk into the old town...

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2008

This hotel doesn't worth the price asked ( 150€ for three + breakfast). We have had to pay before for 3 nights. the room was very small, the bathroom also, the furniture and the bed must be cheap because bad level quality. the sight on the backyard and the neibourgh. The breakfast poor choice.
I don't recommand this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CireDN
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Fourth and last stop on our trip around Sardinia in 2007, El Balear was conveniently located but a bit pricey. But I can't complain too much, since i did not pre-book. Alghero is one lovely charming town, that is a very interesting cross between Sardinia and Catalunya. Different from the rest of the island, it is distinct in its architecture, perhaps the most interesting I've seen in Sardinia. There were charming restaurants and great walks. The hotel is in a good location since it faces the sea and is very near the old town. I had a bit of bad luck as the first room they gave me reeked of cigarettes even though it was a non-smoking room. The second one smelled OK but the view was non-existant. But I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel anyway, so who cares?

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frederico N
Reviewed 28 December 2007

My husband and I visited El Balear with a friend for a long weekend in August. The rooms are nice but on the small side and could use some updates. The balcony however was wonderful. Each night after a long day of scuba/touring/laying on the beach, our party shared a bottle of Sardinian wine and enjoyed the ocean views. As I sit at work now (and in the cold, German winter), I long for that balcony!

The staff was extremely friendly and provided us great recommendations for restaurants in the area. But for information on things to do during the day, I recommend taking a walk along the harbor and visiting the different vendors and comparing their offerings. I cannot encourage people enough to take a boat daytrip -- scuba/snorkling (beware the water is COLD!), sun, a nice lunch with wine on the boat and great views of the coastline!

The location is okay. You are within a short walk (10-15 min) from the historic old town and the harbor where most journeys begin. However, it is a bit of a hike (30 min) to the best beach on that side of town. While I would recommend the hotel, if I go again I will probably stay somewhere in between the best beach and the historic old town.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends