“A very pleasant stay.”
Review of Hotel Alguer

Hotel Alguer
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Alghero
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My sister and I booked a room for a week and the guy who greeted us was very hospitable. Rooms clean and well presented, bathroom quite spacious, we very much appreciated the small bottle of Spumante as a welcome gesture. Had a quiet and comfortable nights sleep for the most part. Breakfast was a good spread of croissants, cereal, jams and fruit for the health conscious. The owner made excellent coffee, Cappucinos, and Macchiatos. TV in good working order for the world cup final, (decided to turn in early for a boat excursion and did watch some of it at a bar). The free Wi-fi access was ideal. Very handy mini washing line outside which was just big enough to hang wet towels and swimsuits. A good location if you don't mind a 15 minute walk to the old town and it was close to the town beach and a few beach-side bars. Would very much recommend, we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for fifteen nights and it was perfect for us. Giancarlo obviously takes a pride in giving his guests value for money. Although close to the beach and not far from main roads it is probably the quietest hotel we have stayed in. The rooms are modern and spotlessly clean and we never heard any noise during the night. There is very good free off road car parking which can be booked in advance. The beach is only a few minutes away and sunbeds can be had for around 12 euros for the day or 8 euros for a half day.
Alghero town is about 15 minutes walk along the promenade and is very nice to wander around. Porto Conte nature reserve is a short drive away with nice beaches and places to walk. There are a few lovely beaches to the North West of Alghero, Porto Ferro and Porticciolo were probably our favorites.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and can recommend Alghero and the Hotel Alguer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank al_ghar
Reviewed 12 May 2014

You know somewhere is good when you're already planning the next trip before you've even checked out.....it really is that good. Stayed here with husband for a few days in early May - have never bothered to rate anywhere on Tripadvisor (or any other site!) before, but was so impressed with this place felt compelled to do a review. This is a small family-run hotel just 5 minutes from the beach and across the road from the bus stop for the airport (tickets €1, journey time 15-20 minutes, runs every half-hour, no need for hire car). The place is immaculate - spotlessly clean, simple rooms, with air-con, tv, fridge with minibar, lovely hot shower, good wifi....even a lift (unusual for small hotel) so would suit families with babies/small children - we liked the open-air stairs. Breakfast = gorgeous - warm pastries, yoghurt, cereal, bread, juice etc - and the delicious coffee (made to order). Hosts Giancarlo,son Francesco and nephew (Mario?) made us extremely welcome and all speak really good English. This is the kind of place you feel delighted to have discovered and they really deserve all the good reviews they get. Can't wait to go back......

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MantaW
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

When researching my hotel for alghero, it took me a while before I settled on staying at hotel algeur. I'm so glad I chose well! Street parking no problem if you hire a car, airport bus stop and supermarket around the corner (1 min away), truly welcoming hosts, nice walk to the old town (15 mins, flat & along the sea front, where at night there are street performers) and lovely beaches accessible in the other direction. Breakfast was basic but tasty (freshly baked warm pastries). I would highly recommend this place :)

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Hodgsojv
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed in room 11 at Alguer 8-12 Aug 2013 for EUR85/night/single incl b/f booked on Booking.com.

I loved Alguer! I arrived exhausted after a long trip from Palau by public transport (*) to a lovely friendly welcome from Mario together with a piccolo of spumante in my room - gosh how did he know I needed that? I could have kissed Mario :-) Indeed all the family were really kind and hospitable and as single traveller I really appreciated some nice friendly chats. Thank you. Mario explained the facilities etc really well and spoke great English - helped a lot.

I was upgraded to a double room so I was really lucky to get an awesome spacious room, with lovely balcony with view of the neighbourhood (loved the mini washing line with pegs on the balcony - everyone needs this yet no hotels supply it), great A/C but note the bed is very hard if that concerns you. The garden courtyard was a joy to sit in and have breakfast. Nice start to the day. I had everything I needed - cereal, yoghurt, delicious crunchy rolls, cheese and croissants with individually made cappuccinos - I was happy as Larry.

FYI - 2 large supermarkets close by open all day, approx 800m walk along the beach to the historical Old Town. Sunset drinks between 7.30pm and 8.30pm from one of the bars along the Old Town walls is a MUST in summer - the sunset over Capo Caccia is the most glorious I have seen in my life. I was totally gobsmacked. Drinks/dinner is expensive though - if you are on budget, just go to one of the beach bars along the promenade and they are half the price (yeah, I found that out on my last day, 4 days to late :-)

Rather than take a boat out to Grotto Nettuno, take the bus from Via Catalogna (by the park in the Alghero Old Town) to Capo Caccia. (Dep 0920 in August, EUR4.50 return 1200 or 1605 approx 50 mins). It goes via a great tourist route and you get to see the lovely Porto Conte - reported as the most beautiful bay in Sardinia and you go past the popular beaches Bombarde & Lazzaretto if you want to go there on your way back. At the final Capo Caccia bus stop you can then walk down the 400 or so steps to the entrance of the Grotto Nettuno - wow, its really worth it. Again the view from Capo Caccia back over to Porto Conte was just amazing. Alghero and surrounds was just so beautiful. I saw the photos online but it was even better in real life.

I also did a day trip to Bosa Citta to visit the Castello Malaspina - again bus departs from Via Catalogna in the Alghero Old Town (Departs 0930, 1050, 1405 in August, 1 hour, EUR6.50 return. Bus returns 1650, 1825). It was a great day out - totally worth it and you can do it without a car. (Had a fantastic lunch at "La Caffeteria" Piazza Costituzione in Via Vittorio Emanuel, Bosa - "Trufie con Porcini e Gamberie" EUR13 - handmade spiral pasta with porcini mushrooms and prawns - gosh a simple dish but I still think about it ... )

As you can tell Alghero was the best surprise of my 1 month in Italy. I've been to Italy now 8 times since 2007 & seen 15 out of 20 regions and did not expect such a beautiful, clean, picturesque town. So happy I made the effort to do the trip down to Alghero and didnt just stop at La Maddalena & Costa Smeralda - I would really have missed out.

(*) Getting from Palau to Alghero was NOT as painful as I thought by bus - I took bus from Palau Port to Santa Teresa around 1.38pm (around 34km/30mins, EUR2.50) then I took the Digitur bus from Santa Teresa bus station to Alghero Airport at 3pm (133km/around 2.5 hours/EUR16). From the airport I took a taxi to the hotel - 8km/EUR22.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank YasmineinSydney
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Hotel Alguer is brilliant value, with a great location, and a lovely room with good facilities. What really sets the hotel apart though is the spirit, generosity and hospitality of its owners Giancarlo and Mario. So friendly and eager to help with whatever you need, these guys went to extra effort to make sure we had a special time in Alghero. When they found out it was my birthday they gave me a bottle of wine and sorted out reservations for us to an amazing restaurant with a beautiful view. Thank you Giancarlo and Mario, and we would definitely stay at the Hotel Alguer again.
(Special mention to Francesco too who makes the best coffee in Alghero!)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were there in mid May, a little off season. We came with a 10 months old baby; we got a crib in the room. The owner and host speaks French, English and was very helpful and friendly. Reasonably good breakfast. Very well located, walking distance from the old town (about 20 min walk), which is a must see. Just 3 min from the city beach. Two large grocery stores and restaurants very close by. Very nice clean rooms, althoug very simple.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business