“Cute and convenient”

B&B Antica Dimora Caruso
Ranked #183 of 318 Catania B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I got stuck in Catania on a 4 day layover so I just wanted a place to sleep. Very kind woman runs it does not speak English so communicating can be a bit hard but she has a translator in her phone and her employees speak English who are there PT. Room is clean and nice with everything you need, they are glad to help you out with anything, and it is a 5 minute walk from the main Catania St in a safe area. Would recommend to travelers. Good price. Fast and strong Internet. Balcony for smoking. High, artistically painted ceilings. Mini fridge. I think it occupies all of 2nd floor of apartment building - feels very homey and welcoming. Doors are a bit thin though you can hear outside when people walk in hall which isn't frequently because it is a small hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chantalle D

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We spent in Catania 2 days and 2 nights in Antica Dimora.
We usually choose B&B to stay during our holiday instead of well-known brand hotels.
Atica Dimora was the best choice ever!
Beautiful rooms, amazing family atmosphere, great Pinella to help you with everything.
We definitely recommend this place and for sure we will return there one day.
M&M

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marta S
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Antica Dimora is a bit like Catania itself.
When you first walk into the Via Plebiscito you think it looks a bit sinister. But the truth is, all the streets of Catania except the Via Etnea (the tourist area) look that way. So after a day you are used to it and to be honest, everyone was friendly and we never had problems.

When you enter through the big gate of the B&B, the first impression is: 'What a dump' and when you enter through the second gate, you think the same. But once you've climbed the marble stairs and Pinella opens the door for you, always smiling, you know it's a welcoming place to stay.

An example: we first had room 2 on the streetside and asked for a change because we were afraid it would be too noisy. We immediately got room 4 which was a bit smaller. Wrong choice because it was close to the reception desk so everytime the bell rang, we heard it. The next day we tried to explain it to Pinella (she only speaks Italian, but tries to understand you) we got room 6 without any problem. It hadn't a painting on the ceiling, but it was spatious, light and clean. We were so happy.

Nowadays you can have breakfast at the B&B itself, but it's an Italian breakfast. Very good and strong coffee, als much as you like, and then there are cakes, sweet bread, biscuits, jam, yoghurt and fruit. But no 'normal' bread and no cheese or ham. But no problem, Pinella doesn't mind if you bring some cheese or meat with you that you can easily buy in the little store a bit further upon the road.

As already said, Pinella only speaks Italian, Stefania speaks literally three words English, only the black helper who is there in the morning speaks French and English.

Conclusion:
Is it a good place to stay? It is.
But if you want it all to be easy and organised, than this isn't your place.

Some practical information:

Travelling:
You can take the bus 457 at the airport, a ticket costs one euro, and you have to get out at the Piazza Paolo Borsallino, the round point where all the busses stop.
But to get back, take a taxi to the airport, we waited 40 minutes for a bus back that didn't come and finally took an unofficial taxi.
As you get out of the bus, you walk to the little park with the kiosk, cross it, go through the gate and climb the stairs next to the public toilets. Now you're in the Via C. Colombo. You go to the left and take the first street on your right, the Via Plebiscito. The B&B is a bit further on your left.

Eating and drinking:
Trattoria Paranza: for superb fresh fish and seafood. Let the B&B make a resrevation and you get a serious discount on the bill! Not cheap, but worth it!

Il Borgo di Federico: Delicious pasta and risotto, cheap, big amounts. When you walk to the big castle on the Piazza Federico (follow the Via Plebiscito and take the Via Grimaldo on your right) it is behind the little kiosk on your right.

The winebar in the Via Montesanto, a small seconday street of the Via Etnea: The hipsters place, great terrace, vintage decoration. Drink a glass of Nero D'Avola, a good local red wine. The food on the contrary is very average.

And a secret tip: if you enter the Via Grimaldi (mentioned above), you immediately have a very small street on your right. A bit further in that street you'll find on your right a big steel gate. Some days it is open, late(r) in the evening and you'll find behind it a restaurant, a stylish club and a great concert location! We saw a billiant concert there of 'Get the blessing', a British jazz-rock band.

Enjoy it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank borisGhent
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We spent one night at Antica Dimora Caruso, an old world charming, spotless place which is walking distance from the heart of the city. We were received by an efficient and very polite manservant from Mauritius who rode us and our luggage up an ancient elevator to an airy apartment that has a large sized office and several rooms with bath. We then met the owner Pinella (if I remember correctly) very friendly and helpful who steered us to an excellent fish restaurant. This was the beginning of a two week tour of Sicily. The whole experience still fills us us with pleasure for its being so personal, so antiquated - an old way of life that is a far cry from all the Hiltons and Holiday Inns., . Yes, the ceilings have frescoes and cracks but the whole atmosphere is very genuine.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Renata T
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We went on holiday in Sicily and the first stop was Catania. Couln't have been better, since it was a lovely stay that prepared us for all the beauties of the island (landscape, peaople, history and above all local cuisine!) The Antica Dimora B&B was a perfect choice, absolutely best value for money, located 3 min away from the Piazza del Duomo. On the way you pass (in the mornings) through the fish (and not only) market. A colourful amazing experience, a real must. Go to Antica Dimora and you will find a Pinella (the owner) very nice and helpful. The room we stayed in was lovely with a painted ceiling. On arrival we climbed the two floors easy enough but were amezed to find out that the B&B has its own 19th century exclusive elevator with red sofas inside. I could just imagine myself in an evening gown going out to an opera night at the Bellini Theatre which is by the way within walking distance. For breakfast we tried both locations indicated on our breakfast ticket, but we enjoyed the one at the Amara Caffe. it's a small place right next to Antica Dimora. The people there were so friendly and the pastries are incredible! My mistake was in the begining I didn't plan this trip very well since I thought that 6 days would be enough. It's definitely not and we plan to come back to Sicily again in the near future. There a are lot of places still to be seen and mst of all, a lot of food we still have to try or thnigs we did try but already want to taste again. And trust me (and a lady I met on the plane who lives in Sicily for 9 years now), you will not be get the same flavour at home, even though you follow exactly the recipe. I think it's all about the local ingredients, even the water. Must be the sun and the volcanic soil. We ate local traditional dishes but what a flavour! I've been in Italy a lot of times (true, all north of Rome) but Sicily is a special part of Italy and the italian food has never been so tasteful. You might think I'm crazy, but for me it was better then in Tuscany.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magda_Cristina
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I came on a holiday by myself to enjoy some island sun and the time spent here was amazing! The people running the B&B were welcoming, friendly and very helpful. I had many questions on where to go and what to see and how best to get there and they were more than willing to help me out. Also very funny and lots of fun to just chat and joke around with. The room was big, with a balcony, a desk, a wardrobe, a fridge and your own bathroom as well as a bed of course. The internet is free and easy to use once you get connected and the access from the B&B to the city is very well connected. A main bus hub is right around the corner and the center is an easy five minute walk as well as the fish market (where you can find the freshest and most succulent grapes I have ever had). I would definitely recommend this place to any first-time visitors and I will definitely stay here again is my travels bring me back. :)

Thanks for a great stay Ladies!!!

Room Tip: I had a room pointing towards the port side and it was fairly quiet except for some noise from neigh...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TasteoftheWorld1
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Wow, this was such a great find. A very small B&B right on the edge of the historic city centre, which is literally round the corner. Lovely bedrooms - mine had a four-poster bed and a frescoed ceiling and a super en-suite. An oldish building but fully modernised inside. I was really happy there was free wifi although I didn't bother with the TV as it only had Italian stations. My only real gripe, and a small one, was that it could be a bit noisy - I was woken by some guests checking out at 4am but ear-plugs should ensure a good night's sleep! I know some reviewers have said the area is dodgy but I felt perfectly safe on foot. Best of all were the staff - friendly and helpful and made me feel very welcome. I'll be back, for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo