“This is nothing like a five-star hotel at all. Great shame.”

Romano Palace Luxury Hotel
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Catania
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“This is nothing like a five-star hotel at all. Great shame.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My first impressions:
Despite reading the information on TripAdvisor (presumably put there by the hotel) that there is a free shuttle bus service (as you would have no trouble believing when you book a night at a five-star luxury hotel), when I rang the hotel to organise it, they said the service to and from the airport doesn't exist any more. False advertising, perhaps? I spent 26 Euros on a metered taxi from the airport, even though it's only 3.4 miles away along some winding roads. I can't wait to pay the same to get back to the airport tomorrow... The room is ok: spacious and clean. The view out of the window is blocked out by foliage (though at least the sky far above is nice and blue). The WiFi in the room doesn't work (signal not strong enough to connect properly). I hope the pool is good! I'll find out when I'm settled in (and I'll update this if it changes my overall impressions of the hotel). Feeling slightly grumpy.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ChelseaJourneyman
GIUSEPPE R, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Romano Palace Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear traveler,
I’m very sorry about Your feelings towards our Hotel, we try to do our best in order to sitisfy our costumers: this is our top priority! For this reason I would like to answer to Your observations.
I’m sorry to tell you that at the moment the free shuttle bus service is not available. But you can easily reach the airport by bus (the ticket is only 1 euro).
I would like to thank you for appreciating our rooms. Moreover i want to guarantee You that the WiFi connection works well, if You will be our guest again, I invite You to talk to our staff about any eventuality. We are always present and available to satisfy our customers’ needs.
Thanking You for choosing our hotel, and inviting You to be our guest once again,
Public Relations Officer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Arriving at Catania airport took taxi to hotel 15 mins and 20 euros flat rate.Nice hotel on two floors only,huge gardens, pool and bar, Sky bar and then additional bar.Check in was fine did ask for twin beds but they did not provide.Rooms are spacious but bad lighting.
Breakfast is standard European style with scrambled egg/omellete/hot dog type sausages with chopped tomatoes.The hotel restuarant never ate there.Drinks are on the expensive side.Hotel has free bus shuttle to town centre and you can catch D bus from bus station last bus back is at 9pm 1 euro or taxi 15 euro.
Many thanks to Salvo/Enzo the poolside staff/Paula/Sabrina reception excellent service/Ajay the Bell Boy(man) and Getano gelato at Sky Bar.
Access to private hotel beech across the road with towels sun beds and umbrella.

Room Tip: stay on the second fllor or rooms on ground floor facing pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank travelin4sure
Dear traveler,
Thank You for appreciating our hotel and sharing Your personal experience on TripAdvisor. We do our best to sitisfy our guests: it is our top priority.
We are sorry that you never ate at our restaurant. We have obtained many awards for our excellent cuisine. Moreover, our breakfast is carefully prepared every day by our pastry chef, who starts at 4.30 a.m. to prepare cakes, tarts, brioches, fresh fruit, but also scrambled egg/omellete/hot dog type sausages with chopped tomatoes and much more.
Everyone is grateful for what You said.
We hope You will come back and be our guest again. You will always be welcome at our Hotels:
Romano Palace Luxury Hotel (5 Stars) near the seaside, in Viale Kennedy 28 and Romano House (4 stars) in the city center, in Via Giovanni di Prima 20.
Merseyside
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for 1 week in June with my wife, I thought I had done my research but failed on a few accounts. The Hotel is not a 5 Star establishment, it is in a nice setting with beautiful grounds and pool but inside it's dark and gloomy. The rooms are reasonable in size with a decent balcony but there is a distinct lack of wardrobe/drawer space. We booked a deluxe room and had a pool view and balcony, I think that was the only difference between the deluxe and the superior and classic rooms. We did not eat in the restaurant as there was limited choice of food and it was quite expensive. Not a lot of eateries in the nearby area except for a Chinese buffet restaurant which is worth a look, otherwise it's a trip into Catania. If you plan to visit the beach you have to cross a fairly busy main road but don't be fooled by thinking you will be safe on the zebra crossing. The car drivers have total disregard for pedestrian safety so be very careful, a car stopped for me whilst I was crossing only to get horn blowing and abuse from the driver behind him. The one positive thing I will say about this hotel is that the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and courteous and the hotel management should be very grateful for their hard work and efforts. Talking of the hotel management, it would be nice to see a few comments/replies to the reviews posted about their establishment.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are quiet as the Hotel is located in it's own grounds away from noise/traffic...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear traveler,
Thank You for choosing our hotel and sharing Your personal experience on tripAdvisor. It’s a pleasure for us reading that you have appreciated our staff, our grounds and pool. Our guests’ satisfaction is our top priority; for this reason i would like to answer to Your observations:
We are sorry that You have not enjoyed our internal atmosphere, carefully chosen in order to result quiet, comfortable and elegant. We have mainteined the Baroque style that is typical of Catania, (declared a World Heritage Site of Unesco) with the exceptional presence of the sea just across the street.
It’s a pity You have never eaten at our restaurant. We have obtained many awards for our excellent cuisine. If You found our choice of food limited, You could easily ask our chef to prepare something different, in order to satisfy Your needs and tastes. We are pleased to fulfill every request of our guests.
We regret that You have not appreciated the area in general. But our Hotel has a strategic site that facilitates many excursions, activities or city tours, such as Taormina, Siracusa, Enna, etc. (all destinations that could be reached by bus from the airport, which is near to us.) Moreover You could easily reach the city center from our Hotel. We offer a free shuttle bus service that brings our Guest to the centre of Catania in less than 10 minutes.
If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know. We deeply hope You will come back and be our guest again.
London
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My original booked hotel, another 'Palace'....turned out to be a huge exaggeration so I didn't stay, and eventually arrived at the Romano Palace Luxury Hotel around 10 p.m. Reception was dead. Bar closed 10.30. My room lacked the usual 5 star facilities; no kettle, tea/coffee, no comp. bottled water, no iron, worn out towels, and they'd given me a twin so just a single bed. Didn't feel luxury. Breakfast pleasant enough. Big room, big flat screen, big balcony. Pool looked clean & deep, & beach club over the busy road. And a free car park. If you are staying in the centro with a car expect to pay 12 euro a night parking. Romano seemed overpriced for its over-hyped stars but if you are touring by car & want both the city & sun-bathing then it could do. It's easy to find on the lido playa road out of town, but don't expect chocolates on your pillow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SmartSheikh
GIUSEPPE R, Owner administrator at Romano Palace Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for choosing us and having shared your personal experience on TripAdvisor.
I wanted to answer to Your observations:
Our reception is opened and available 24 hours a day. Maybe our receptionist was away for a moment, but it wasn’t dead, I guarantee You. The same for our Bar, it usually closes at 1:00 a.m.
Moreover, We provide kettle for free, just asking to our reception, and we also guarantee a laundry service that is available 24 hours a day. Our towels are changed monthly, and we buy them by Rivolta and Carmignani.
We do our best in order to satisfy our guests: their well-being is our top-priority.
If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.
We hope You will come back and be our Guest again.
dublin
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Booked here recently but didn't end up staying. Whoever says this place in excellent must have escaped from Alcatraz or something. That's the trouble with tripadvisor sometimes. You can't tell what some peoples judgment is like. It's probably 3 star at very best. Very road motel feel and a weird smell that I couldn't decide was either dampish or cleaning solution of some sort. Yuck sums it up anyway. Second room we were shown was better but still didn't have the heart to stay here. Did look busy. Just wasn't for us.
Located beside this awful looking wasteland and pond. A great breeding ground for Mosquitos I imagine.
The bathroom had a toilet, sink and a shower all in the same area. No shower door or screen. So was the proverbial wet room! I didn't stay long enough to find out how that whole thing worked as luckily booked through the good people at booking.com who got us out of there. It was the first time I had to use booking.com in that way but they cancelled our reservation and didn't charge us which was great as the hotel was adamant that we paid even though we only booked 3 hrs beforehand en route to the airport.
If you want 2 to 3 star then go for it but to be honest it was around €170 per night and we stayed at a true 5 star the night before for €190! The difference between the two was night and day. No comparison to be made. I didn't stay so can't say anything more than that but it's not a palace and is not luxury so the name seems ironic.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mantra1
GIUSEPPE R, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Romano Palace Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear traveler,
We are very sorry about Your complaints and Your feelings about our hotel. We apologize for Your inconvenience but we guarantee You that we have taken measures about the mosquitos problem. Unfortunately the area (especially at that period of the year) doesn’t help us, but of course we are trying to solve the problem as soon and as better as possible. We want our customers to feel as well as possible.
What I can tell You about the weird smell you felt, is that probably it was caused by our staff while cleaning our rooms. We are sorry that it has bothered you. However we invite our guests to contact us for any problem.
Finally I assure you that our bathrooms are very efficient. They are all embedded in mosaics and precious stones but they are characterized by all the necessary technology.
I would like to invite you to be our guest again, in order to realize in first person what I’ve written to You.
Yours sincerely,
The Direction.
Scarborough, Maine
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at the Romano Palace for four nights. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - the rooms are comfortable, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly (especially Fabio, Paola, Sabrina and Alfredo at the front desk; Francesco and Erica, our waiters in the restaurant; Salvo and Gaetano at the bars; Ajay and Aselo, the service attendants). The hotel is beautiful with a fun Moroccan flavor -- it's elegant but not stuffy. The pool is beautiful, there are many outdoor rooms to enjoy. The beach is easily accessible.

All in all a lovely experience. A few minor suggestions - it would be nice to have a place to get lighter fare during the day, especially at the poolside. Also, it would be nice to have a gift shop, as well. We were able to get massages (the best I have ever had anywhere in the world!), but it would be nice to have more spa and fitness services. Also, the location is not close to other restaurants and activities, so taxis or a car are required to get around. However, the hotel staff does have a great network of tour services available - we took a local tour and it was great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WordsinPlay
GIUSEPPE R, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Romano Palace Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear traveler,
In the name of the whole staff, thank You very much for Your review, and for having shared your personal experience on tripAdvisor.
We are proud of ourselves when We are able to fully satisfy our costumers, and when they appreciate our work.
It’s a pleasure to read such a positive opinion. Moreover i would like to answer to some of Your observations:
About the closeness of our Hotel to other restaurants and activities, I would like to underline that our location allows our guests to go to the city center in less than 10 minutes by our free shuttle bus service, which runs frequently, and the same for the airport, where it’s possible to take buses for nearby towns, such as Taormina, Enna, Siracusa etc. We hope You ate at our restaurant, which has obtained many awards for our excellent cuisine. We also offer food to take away, and our chef is glad to fulfill any request in order to satisfy our guests’ needs and tastes.
Furthermore We are starting to plan a SPA for our hotel; meanwhile (as you said) it’s possible to get messages in the privacy of the rooms. We are really happy you were enthusiast about yours.
I’m really sorry we do not have a gift shop, but if You need some gadgets and souvenirs, trust me, Catania is full of amazing little shops! Just go to the city center! You’ll have a wide range of choices.
Thank You very much for Your attention. We hope You will come back and be our guest again.
connecticut
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel because it was advertised that there was a free shuttle to the airport. When we arrived we were disappointed to find out the shuttle was discontinued but the web site was not updated. The taxi to Catania airport is 20 euro, FYI. The hotel must have been something in its time but now needs a facelift. The lock on our patio door was broken and our room smelled of cleaning solution. On the positive side, the pool is beautiful and the attendant very professional. The rooms were very large.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smilingathena
Dear travelers,
Thank You for appreciating our pool and attendant. Moreover we are happy you liked the room. Our top priority is our guests’satisfaction. For this reason, I wanted to answer to Your observations:
We are sorry, but currently the free shuttle bus service for the airport is not avalaible. But it’s possible to reach the airport in less than 10 minutes, by taking a bus that runs frequently at the cost of 1 euro.
Moreover we wanted to tell You that we have repaired the patio door, we exhort our guests to ask our staff about any possibility, we are always present and willing to satisfy our guests’needs.
Finally, we regret that the smell of cleaning solution got under Your skin. This is the first time that We receive complaints about this aspect. But thank You very much for saying it. In general we are used to leave our windows or balcons opened for a while when we finish to clean our rooms. We do our best to remove completely the smell in the rooms after cleaning. It should has been a single episode.
If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know. We hope You will come back and be our guest again.