“Good value in Catania”

Residence Hotel La Ville
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Catania
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The hotel is good value and offers a good continental breakfast. The staff was nice and helpful. This is a no frills hotel but close to the train station. The location is not dangerous like others have said but it is not in the best area. However, you get what you pay for and I would recommend this hotel an a cheap option. It is only about a 10-15 minute walk to everything in Catania. I woudl receommend this hotel. It is also quiet which is surprising in this city.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 November 2010

From the outside Hotel La Ville looks nothing special and it's an unprepossing area near the train and bus station. But step inside and it's a hotel where the owners and managers clearly value their guests highly. Our twin-bedded room was very roomy with an attractive domed ceiling, along with a marble bathroom and loads of hot water. At night it was quiet until the fruit and veg man arrived outside at 0830. Breakfast was a satisfactory mixture of cold meats, cheeses, breads, yoghurts and fruit. There was also a free network computer connection in the reception area to check home e-mails and Catania's weather. This hotel rates five stars for us because of the excellent service and the proximity to public transport. We spent four full days in Catania, not in itself a particularly interesting city and pockmarked by graffiti, dereliction and broken glass. But it is a great centre for trips out by public transport. On day one we took the CircumEtnea train. At the Metro station (five minutes walk by the rail station) go to Borgo, which is the starting point for this exciting train trip. It wends it way through the foothills of Etna with great views to the volcano on one side and valleys on the other side. We alighted at Randazzo and wandered through a maze of medieval alleys. Apparently this is one town which was never overwhelmed by the volcano. Day two we caught the train to Siracusa (about an hour) and roamed across the bridge and onto the island which houses the old town. Day three was a full day out with Etna Experience. Not cheap at £59 a head, but we were picked up direct from the hotel in a 4x4 minibus seating eight and had a fascinating day exploring lava fields, caverns, gorges, craters and vineyards. Take hiking footwear and warm clothing because you do reach 7000 feet. A once-in-lifetime experience. Day four was by bus to Taormina. This is touted as a "must-see" experience in Sicily. There is a great bus ride up the hairpin bends to the town. But we found it grossly over-commercialised. The Greek theatre is worth seeing and we recommend a cable car trip down to an attractive shingly bay below, where there are some beachside bars. But, overall, you won't be missing much if you ignore this town. On the final day, before an evening flight, we enjoyed the boisterous fish market in Catania (a short walk from the cathedral).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johncharles
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms were clean, large bathroom. The TV does not have english speaking CNN (although the card next to the TV says it is). The bathroom was very large, the room was clean and comfortable.
I was really disappointed with the immediate area surrounding this hotel which is why I gave it 1 star. It was dirty. It was dark. It was really sketchy. It wasn't a place that I enjoyed walking around at night. It was a 10 minute walk to the main touristy area and duomo, which were very nice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed at Hotel La Ville for my last night in Sicily. The hotel is new, the rooms are veryspacious, clean and very modern. The hotel room even has a little kitchenette. I also liked the front desk staff as they were friendly and courteous. They helped me arrange for a car to pick me up at 5:30am since I had an early flight and made me a cappuccino and a snack before I departed the hotel. I will admit that this hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the center of the city where all the shops and people are at. The area around the hotel is very desolete and I did not feel comfortable walking home alone at 11pm since I was the only person on the street. I would have taken a cab but they are difficult to find on the streets. Overall the hotel is lovely and I did enjoy my one night stay there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We stayed here only 1 night before leaving Sicily. This hotel was perfect in everything (next to the train station, comfortable, large and nice room), except the fact that in our room the central air conditioning (that we couldn't switch off) was very-very disturbing loud. But we asked the administrator to do smth with it - either to change room or ..
He switched it off for us that night. Thanks to him, I slept perfectly!
I'd definitely recommend this hotel for short stays, but if you are going to spend more than couple of days in Catania it's better to choose smth else as it is about 15 minutes walk to the city center along the wild dirty streets and waste grounds.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2006

I stayed here two nights in July when I was unexpectedly in Catania. It is close to the airport and they took us in right away. We had no place else to go and they were kind to take us and the rates were reasonable for the luxury we received. The rooms were neat and clean and luxurious. The shower was clean and spacious. We had an early flight out of Catania and were too early for breakfast, but the gentleman at the desk was kind enough to get us some coffee and make us feel welcome. Our motorcycle broke down and he directed us to a place nearby so it could be fixed. They could not have been more kind or helpful to us. I am going again to Catania and am going to book my stay here again.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank jacquelineNewYork
Reviewed 4 January 2006

We spent a week in this excellant Hotel.The outside area is not much to look at but don't let this put you off. The hotel is one of the best we found in Catania. The service is excellant,the staff are very helpful and they give you a service with a smile. The rooms are comfotable and very clean and quite. We recommend this Hotel as its very good.

• Stayed: August 2005