We booked this place for one night due to its central location and the inclusion in its executive rate of a breakfast.
PROS : Clean and central. The executive room we booked was nicely designed and the bathroom spacious and luxurious. We appreciated the balcony with a view of the main street and Mount Etna. The rooftop bar was a pleasant place to unwind in to have a quiet drink at the end of a long day. Taxis to the airport arrive within minutes to the hotel (booked by the receptionist) and are only 20 Euro (fixed rate). It takes only half an hour to the airport.
1. The UNA Palace website fails to mention that there is a bus stop right outside it. We were stuck at the railway station and there were no taxis around yet we were right next to a huge bus station. When a taxi did arrive we were charged 20 euro to travel for 3 minutes. A bit excessive! On getting out of the taxi we noticed a bus stop near to the hotel entrance and many buses going down this road. This information should be placed on the hotel website.
2. Checking in . My online booking receipt did not mention the checking in time, nor does the website. We arrived at noon (two hours early) and were asked to dump our luggage in the public space next to the receptionist desk and they would be taken to our rooms for us. We asked them (twice) to put them behind the desk so that they would be safe and were assured that they would be. They did not do this. The cases were in the public area when we returned from lunch in the city and we took them to the rooms ourselves. If something had been stolen, who would have been responsible? There needs to be better provision for people who check in early considering their check in information is not made clear.
3. The breakfast on the first floor is only bearable if you are fond of white rolls, American coffee, pastries and unhealthy boxes of processed cereals. Personally I love a hot breakfast with well made omelettes . There was a hot food area in the breakfast buffet section which offered a tureen of limp unhealthy processed meats next to a container of neon yellow (!) sludge and another container of processed frankfurters and overly smoked, extremely fatty bacon. Next to this was a bowl of dry tasting hard boiled eggs. I have to say, I was hugely disappointed by this offering and did not feel set up for the day. As someone who avoids wheat, I had to make do with yoghurt and fruit because the neon yellow sludge was inedible as were the hard boiled eggs. What on earth do they add to the sludge to make it that alarmingly neon yellow colour, I wonder?
4. The Rooftop bar terrace limitations : We would have liked to have sat outside for our evening drink but unfortunately, as is so often the case, the outside area was mainly taken up by smokers, and the area was unbearably smoke-infested. We poor oppressed non-smokers often have to retreat indoors because of this. It is a great shame that people with asthma or who are pregnant cannot enjoy the evening fresh air on the rooftop in the hotel area and smokers (indulged by hotel policy) are allowed to rule the roost. Smoke does not dissipate easily (if at all) in a small open space on hot, stuffy nights!
This hotel has a lot of potential. If it works on improving on its website information, check in procedure, and the quality of its cooked breakfast on the first floor then it would be a more pleasant experience for guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A prestigious building dating back to the early 1900s, in the artistic and commercial heart of Catania, was already an historical luxury hotel. The restoration project has been carried out in the view of maintaining the Sicilian style and traditional cultural heritage. The hotel provides 94 rooms and 9 meeting rooms, fitness centre, Turkish bath, indoor parking, elegant banquet room, roof garden, panoramic terrace with restaurant and American bar. SERVICES: SKY FREE in all the rooms.Internet connection with Wireless system.Pillow Wow:a pillow for every need. All our pillows are made with natural, anti-allergic fibres,Neckroll Pillow, soft and relaxing, filled with wheat chaff Kapok pillow with a soft and elastic covering to fit perfectly around the neck of each guestFirm latex pillow for those who suffer from neck acheGoose-down pillow – extremely soft and naturalFree use of fitness roomTurkish bathLaundry and ironing serviceCovered pay car park6 large rooms equipped for guests with impaired mobility Voltage 220 V UNA RESTAURANTThe UNA Hotel Palace has two large restaurants serving Sicilian specialities and fresh fish as well as a wide selection of wines from our cellars to enjoy with your meal.The UNA Restaurant is situated on the first floor and, in keeping with the tradition of old city buildings, looks out onto an internal courtyard of lava stone. The ample size of the dining room, together with its minimalist décor, makes it the ideal for business lunches and private parties. It seats up to 120.The Roof Garden, an “à la carte” restaurant, is on the 7th floor. From here you can enjoy a unique and spectacular view of the roofs of the city as well as the outline of Mount Etna to the north and a glimpse of the sea to the south. It seats up to 30.A special menu is available with a selection of the chef’s specialities.Open every dayBreakfast: from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 a.m.Lunch: from 12.30 a.m. to 2.30 a.m.Dinner: from 8.00 p.m. to 10.30 p.m.UNA CAFÉThe UNA Palace Hotel has two delightful bars.The UNA Café next to the hall, is perfect for a coffee break or as a meeting point, especially in the colourful Mediterranean style Privè .The Roof Garden with a unique view of Mount Etna and the city rooftops.ROOF GARDENThe Roof Garden on the 7th floor offers guests a unique view of Mount Etna and the city rooftops. Here guests can enjoy our barman’s carefully prepared cocktails, or sip one of the drinks from our vast selection on the drink menu.There is also a wide selection of teas from all over the world and of delicious hot chocolates.From 7.30 p.m to 10.30 p.m. the bar provides the most fashionable Happy Hour in the city, with a rich buffet of appetizers to satisfy even the most refined taste.Open from 10.30 a.m. to midnight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your UNA Hotel Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Una Hotel Catania
- UNA Hotel Palace Catania, Sicily