This could be five or zero stars.....
On the upside:
Right at the centre of historic Catania - very convenient for everything
Historic hotel on top floors of old palace
Room 106: huge domed ceiling painted pink
Loved the lift: old fashioned close the doors yourself
Friendly and helpful staff at the front desk
On the downside
Right at the centre of party city Catania
Revellers keep the noise up to 4am, then the garbage and street cleaners start
The air conditioning did not work/was underpowered: temperature in room never fell below 30 centigrade. Hard to sleep: when you open the windows, you let the noise in.
Never slept more than four hours a night in four days
Cleanliness was not perfect: bathroom smelled of damp; stray hairs; sink drained very slowly; whole place needed renovation (carpets etc)
The ideal solution would be if they sorted out the air conditioning. Failing that, ask for a room looking onto the internal courtyard: it will be quieter, although the rooms are not so nice.
Incidentally, Catania is great:
very good for visiting Etna (best on a tour, very expensive: £100pp to do the whole thing)
Catania, along with Siracusa and Noto is the baroque capital of the world: all rebuilt after being wiped out by a 1693 earthquake. Siracusa is a bizarre mix of baroque and some surviving Greek, Norman and Roman. Often all in one building.
Taormina is the tourist capital of the area: it is pretty but completely overrun by the tourist industry. You make your own choice on that one.
Taormina and SIracusa are easy by public bus, very cheap. Locals recommend the bus, not the train.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a prestigious position of the baroque of Catania rises the Manganelli building, an ancient noble residence. The Manganelli Palace borns indoors it, pleasant and exclusive hotel in which refinement and style mingle to draw an elegant and unique environment which represents the new way of sleeping in Catania. Thanks to the strategic position from where you can admire the town, to the wise restoration of the frescoes and to the maximum attention in the details, the classical style is combined with the elegance of the contemporary style offering an exclusive receptivity. Both who travels for pleasure or for business will be surround oneself with rooms elegantly furnished, comfortable and with every comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Manganelli Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manganelli Palace Catania
- Manganelli Palace Hotel Catania, Sicily