“Comfortable apartment if Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butera 28

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palermo
Butera 28
Asheville
“Comfortable apartment if Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at this property for four nights. We stayed in Apartment 13, which is a two level apartment. It was very convenient to have a washing machine in the apartment for use. Some breakfast items were supplied as amenities, however this is not a true bed and breakfast. The interior of the apartment was very clean and comfotable. Bed was typical Italian bedding. Very spacious bathroom. Air conditioning worked great, one room had a brand new AC unit. Joanna the person who helped us into the room and checked us out was very helpful in many respects and informative about the area. Overall I would definitely recommend this as an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tgrella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Staying in Butera 28 for the last 3 night of our trip was no mistake.
The apartment description was accurate - some of the apartments including ours were in what I imagine were the servants quarters near the top of the house. It was spacious clean and well equipped, with a glancing sea view, and the welcome and advice received from Jen ( sorry if I have got the wrong ' Australian' ) was outstanding.

I was so sorry to read the recent review by a solo traveler who felt uneasy in the neighbourhood and missed the experiences we enjoyed - mainly just strolling around la cala and kalsa including quite late at night. It was so vibrant and memorable. Yes the area seems a bit gritty and it is hard to get used to the large and sometimes overflowing communal garbage bins in the streets but there is a real feeling of warmth and life in the air.

One of our main reasons for the visit to Palermo was to see the two Vuccerias, the market and the Gattuso painting of it. I suspect we must have arrived a few years too late to experience the market at its best - if the painting is anything to go by. Do not miss it. It is just around the corner from Buyers 28. A very special thank you to the girl who sold us the tickets to see the palace holding the painting. The guide did not speak much English although not was far better than our Italian. She explained the history of the Chaoimonte palace and its place in Palermo and Sicilys history.

Another highlight was the flea Market around the corner on Sunday morning. Anything and everything on view.If you need to stock up on saucey early 20 th centuary postcards, add to your video tape collection or find that perfect button or the lone red ballet shoe you have dreamed of, you won't be disappointed. My contribution to the theatre was looking stern while my better half haggled successfully with the nonas over the perfect hand embroidered vintage table linen.

After a short nap we caught the bus from la Cala to Mondello for our solitary sea swim of the trip. Bus back in time to catch our last night of the wonderful Kalsa aperitivo scene on the edge of Vucceria. Home next morning with a heavy heart but we will be back. Definitely to Butera if we come with the family or stay for more than a few days.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liam W
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start and end of our honeymoon and we loved it. The hostess Nicoletta is simply charming and the Australian girls who help her are fantastic too. Very welcoming, provided loads of info about the area to make the most our of our short stay there. We also did the cooking course which is run by Nicoletta and highly recommend it. The trip to the market was one of the highlights of our Palermo trip and then cooking delicious food and sitting down to eat it in her beautiful palazzo was just brilliant. We were in Apartment No 9 which is supposedly the largest and has private access to a fabulous roof terrace. Great location too, we recommend going down the road at around 5pm where they have a stand that sells snails to eat - really delicious and great to sit there eating them with a cold beer and watching the world go by.
It's not a B&B so no breakfast but they have well-equipped kitchens and anyway, there are some great pasty shops within 5 mins walk which is our idea of a good breakfast!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah_Beijing
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I never write reviews but I loved this place so much I thought I would give it a go.

I was suppose to stay for four nights and I extended my stay to six. I rented an apartment on the street side of Butera. The area is quite at night and place is bursting with atmosphere. First of all I could not believe how large the rooms were (bedroom, sitting room, small bath with a washer! and perfect kitchen for a traveler) for the price, hotels in Italy are on the small side and this exceptional value. I had a nice balcony and the rooms were very bright during the day. The owner, Nicoletta was so accommodating, she met me late in the evening to check me in and gave me some great tips on places to see and where to go, like the roof top restaurant on top of the department store, I would have never known that gem if it is was not for her. If it wasn't so late I would have made her tea(which they had ready in the room) and chatted her up for hours. The next jewel was Jen her Aussie asst, who really made me feel like I was a member of the family and not just renting an apartment. I was traveling alone and she graciously joined me for a drink at a local watering hole a five minute walk away which was above and beyond her job description, (Palermo has an active cafe culture that goes late into the night on Thurs, Friday, Sat and Sunday FYI). I got the feeling these people really love Palermo and this is a calling more that an occupation. Next Jen told me about a cooking class with Nicoletta, which was an all day affair, part shopping excursion, history lesson, cooking class, and social event. We got a house tour to boot and they had waitstaff to serve us. The meal was Fantastic and even more special because we made it together. Can you tell I had a great time? I loved the area, there are two outdoor restaurants right down the street that were fantastic that grilled amazing fresh fish. I ate there several times. There is an fantastic gelato place down the street that was packed with people late into the night which is a good sign and the orange fried rice balls at this same place were some of the best I tried in Palermo. Trust me I ate a lot in Sicily. The walk to the train station was 15 minutes away which is how I got to Cefalu(?), also the apartment was so close to so much action in the town, I really appreciated that I could wonder in plop right into a lively streetlife but was just far enough away so I could sleep at night. Palermo is not Florence, it is smaller, earthy, slightly more gritty but it has a vibe that I think experienced travelers look for. It does not feel touristy. I loved all the smells and sights, the Sicilians are loud by American standards speaking several decibels higher than we are used to but everyone smiles and if you make an effort to speak a little Italian they really are gracious. Back to 28 Butera, I loved sitting on the balcony, reading my book and next to my laundry drying in the warm Mediterranean breeze, watching the world move along slowly below me. I also was impressed with the free wifi connection, because the other places I stayed it was spotty. The house is close to the ocean but I recommend taking the bus to Mondello (25 minutes away), Nicoletta told me how to get there, it was rather simple, and that beach is world class. All and all, this was a great adventure and staying at 28 Butera and having Nicoletta and Jen made it extra special. I am planning on taking a family member next year I loved it so much. Hope this is helpful and you have as much fun as I did.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Bradley G
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was an interesting experience. You are renting an apartment, not a hotel room and this is not a B and B. My apartment consisted of one bedroom, a kitchen, and quite lovely bathroom. While a bit on the "older furniture" side, there was nothing that distracted from the charm of the whole place. I initially saw this offering via another site and was intrigued by the fact that it was a converted palace (rental part were once a school for well-to-do young men), that there was a Dutchess and Prince who still lived in the other wing, that it was located on the sea and that the Dutchess offered cooking classes (something I find a great way to learn about a new country). The Dutchess communicated that cooking classes were scheduled when a minimum number of people expressed interest. Unfortunately the day AFTER I was scheduled to leave was when a class was to be held. A big disappointment - especially since the location by the sea was not as welcoming as I envisioned. Palermo was so dirty and disagreeable to me, that I seldom ventured out from my apartment...and I certainly was not, as a single woman traveler, going to venture out at night except for delightful meals at the restaurant across the street. The promenade by the sea was dirty, full of arguing people, and surly wait staff at the local sidewalk cafes. I thoroughly enjoyed my offered tour of the palace by the Dutchess and having coffee with our small group who were currently in residence there. It was interesting to see how others live. My apartment had a washer (Jenny the manager said that all renters are thrilled by the washer) which I happily used and just as happily hung my clothing out of the balcony. The balcony faced the interior of what was the palace entry way for the horses and carriages, now a garage and entry. Doors opening and closing and voices carried up the three flights. Having stayed in small towns and fishing villages the three weeks prior to my arrival in Palermo, I was a bit disappointed that I did not feel safe on the streets and wary in my movements. The two remaining weeks of my travel only confirmed my dislike of larger cities since I had the same reaction to Rome and Florence - so I'm sure couples or women traveling together would do a lot better than I and this is not necessarily a fair reflection on the accommodations which I found to be just fine. Jenny remarked to me as I made my comments about being afraid that if I had mentioned this to her, she would have been happy to come with me for dinners or accompanied me to other areas. I never thought to ask.

Room Tip: I believe some apartments are reachable by an elevator - mine was not. Lesson learned - travel ligh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The place is just ok. Has the basics and nice to be able to wash your clothes. It has a lot of potential. The location is good. The furniture, especially the beds, could use a major upgrade to be worth what we paid. It sleeps four, 2 on each bed, but we were only two people, so not much cost saving for a 3 day stay. The hotel across the street was cheaper and nicer and had a gym. If you are a family and staying longer, could be worth it.
The only real help that we received was from the two gentlemen who helped us with our bags the first day. The "Duchess" who owns the building lectured us in an email... Not sure how old she is but if felt like mom was emailing us and did not realize we are two adults that between us have
traveled most of the world. Oh, and she only takes cash. Very inconvenient for us but a tax convenient for her.
All in all, it's an okay and nice place for a long term stay. It's clean, it's a large apartment, and has an AC. Also noteworthy, we only got 2 towels... So maybe bring your own!!!????

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank goddesstraveler
Butera28, Owner at Butera 28, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,
It is with regret that I feel I must respond to your Tripadvisor post.
I’m sorry I was out of town and didn’t have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay.
It is most unfortunate that you have chosen to post your comments rather than contact me, or my assistant who took care of you on arrival. We would have been only too happy to have tried to make your stay a more pleasurable one.
Butera 28 apartments are all part of our 18th century palazzo and have original artworks and antique forniture. As you know, there is a difference between old and antique. We do our best to keep the authentic character of the building whilst offering modern conveniences.
Our pricing policy is such that we charge for the apartment, not by the number of beds, or the number of persons staying. Therefore, even though the apartment you rented had 2 beds, it comes at a flat rate. All the apartments are clearly described and photographed so our guests can make an informed choice.
Each guest is provided with a set of 3 towels, which are changed every third day of stay, or more often upon request.
We do require a deposit via PayPal, and the balance can be paid in cash or via bank transfer prior to arrival. We are not a B&B nor a hotel and we don’t have credit card facilities, as clearly stated in our booking information.
All best wishes, Nicoletta
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in June for 3 nights, as our last stop in 15 days of Sicily. The views from our very comfortable and spacious apartment were fabulous, and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the cruise ships and ferries come and go. Despite the weather being very hot, the apartment was comfortable - we used the air conditioning only once. Like everywhere else, there are no screens on the windows, and a few mosquitoes appeared, but we only noticed them late at night. The furnishings were comfortable - remember, this is not a hotel, it is a building where original family spaces were converted to apartments. We had everything we needed - even an iron and ironing board (yes, even on holidays, I ironed), as well as a drying rack that we used to very quickly dry clothes on the sunny balcony, plus one of the bigger bathrooms we saw on the trip. The location was great for us - walking distance to all major sights, overlooking the water, and very breezy. Access is from Butera street, which does not face the water (it is the last row of streets before the main avenue that runs along the water), and it is quiet at one end (almost too quiet late at night), but very lively at the other. I visited the bakery recommended by Jenny, who checked us in, and bought fruit from a tiny fruit market, both just down the road.

All communications before we arrived were very promptly answered (and having done the cooking class, we know that Nicoletta checks her emails immediately). The check in was easy, and there was lots of helpful information about the neighborhood.

The highlight was the cooking lesson. We loved the whole day, and my husband is not a cook - he's a competent dishwasher. We visited the market, got a quick peek at a beautiful church that doesn't seem to be in any of the guidebooks, walked through the market, got a lesson about bread and relationships with local tradesmen, and then returned to make a memorable meal under Nicoletta's direction. I'm going to try some of the recipes - the food was delicious. The chance to see her home, and meet her husband, adopted son of the author of The Leopard, was a real treat. The family obligation of maintaining the palazzo must be huge, but it is a beautiful place.

Palermo was, of course, the biggest town we visited in Sicily. It is louder, messier, a bit more run down, and a lot more interesting than many other places. There seem to be hundreds of churches, and while we visited only 4 in the one full day we had for sight-seeing, there are dozens more. We spent a whole morning at Palazzo Mirto, before starting our church visits - it is a chance to see an 18th century palazzo that is fully decorated, and in wonderful shape. We spend about an hour one hot afternoon just watching the preparations for a wedding in one, enjoying the family groups, the clothing, the ladies shoes (the highest heels we've seen anywhere), and the beautiful bridal gowns. We were incidental guests at about 6 weddings during our trip, and I can confirm that Sicilians go all out.

We ate in several of Nicoletta's recommended restaurants, including around the Garibaldi gardens, and across the road - a very upscale restaurant with wonderful service. There is a fabulous fish place just down the road that seems to appear out of nowhere - around 7:30, alleys get full of tables and chairs, and barbeques are set up on the street. Not fancy, but lots of fun. Tons of mussels must get consumed every night.

We took Jenny's advice and arranged for transport to the airport through them. The cost was less than our trip by cab from the airport, and the driver showed up exactly on time.

This was a great way to end the trip, and I recommend this experience to anyone going to Palermo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - it really made the experience special.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple