“Sad and dry”

Ranked #35 of 437 things to do in Palermo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

This is not a great example of a botanical garden - dry, unkept, really ugly in parts. The best thing here were the turtles. Not worth paying to get in.

1  Thank Travellingpantaloni

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I bought my lunch from the supermarket one day and ate it here. Many newly married couples come here to take photos and videos, and I was asked by one photographer if I could remain on my bench while the bridge and groom sat next to me... While I'll never be sure, I'm pretty sure I 'photobombed' someone's wedding photos. It's honestly a beautiful place.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We had a full day to ourselves before our tour began in Sicily so we went to Orto Botanico. It turned out to be a lovely day. The flowers were so beautiful... We loved walking through the gardens and grounds. The lily pond and statues were really beautiful. It was a relaxing way to get over our jet lag and enjoy some beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This was one of my favourite parts of the city. Located in the East of the city on Via Lincoln, just several blocks from Palermo Central Train Station, this 10 hectare site is really something else. Opened in 1795, work began on the grounds in 1789 as part of the university. Dufourny, a French architect, along with 3 local architects created the magnificent buildings at the entrance - the stunning Gymnasium and the beautiful caliderium and tepidarium. Inside the gymnasium (which used to house the directors office) you can see statuary of Theophrastus and Dioscorides by Dane, and a fresco of Flora which highlights the meeting of the sciences of Botany and Pharmacy with the motto 'Miscuit utile dulci'. The grounds itself are arranged according to the two classifications of Linnaeus (early) and Engler (20th c.)
Amongst the myriad wonders inside the grounds you will find a series of glasshouses, a herbarium, a seed bank and a stunning aquarium arranged in concentric rings housing beautiful aquatic plants (and several friendly terrapins!). Of the many plants in the gardens, the Chorisia insignis is one of the most intriguing, along with a magnificent specimen of Dracaena draco. There are huge Ficus magnoloides which really dominate the grounds and the selection of cacti is mightily impressive.
I could go on and on, but I would rather leave you to discover more of this attraction by your own designs. Entrance was €10 and there are toilet facilites available, along with a small souvenir shop. There are also pamphlets available in a multitude of languages, so be sure to ask the attendant for the relevant one to help enhance you visit.
And even if you're not that interested in botany, pharmacy or architecture, it is simply an oasis in the otherwise hustling and sometimes manic city that is Palermo.

1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Palermo is not a particularly green city. The Orto Botanico (and nextdoor Villa Giulia) is the only real park in the centre of Palermo. The botanical garden is very varied and feels partly like a real jungel. The many birds singing is unusual for Palermo and brings peace to mind after walking in the busy traffic of Palermo. Many interesting things in the park, but primarily a place to get away from the city streets.

1  Thank OsloViking