Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa
Albergo Itria(Palermo)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Regina(Palermo)
View Hotel
All reviewsstock exchangeretractable roofcentral atriumbank buildingvisited this hotelwithin walking distancedefinitely return to this hotelfitness centerbathrobes and slipperssan francescolovely courtyardour room was spaciouslarge hotelgreat positionhotel is perfectbreakfast buffet isquiet area
Reviewed 10 December 2013

What makes this four-star hotel uncommon is its elegance on the one hand, the thickness of its history on the other (and the two qualities are certainly connected).
The building, by its imposing square appearance, sharply contrasts with the often winding streets of surrounding neighborhoods (we are not far from the historic market "Vucciria"); it is then a prestigious hotel fully inserted in the ancient center of Palermo.
It dates from the late sixteenth - early seventeenth century, when it was (and for a long time has been) a monastery. After the Garibaldi's landing in Sicily (1860) and the Italy unification, it was turned into the seat of what could be called the Palermo stock exchange (hence the Italian name "Borsa": on the website of the hotel you can find details of this history). Finally the transformation of the hotel came, as I said elegant without being ostentatious. An example: over the room beds there is a simple shelter, which could be considered the modern interpretation of a canopy.
The great cloister (closed at the top by a glass dome during the winter, when I have visited it) is the focus of attention, the most attractive point . But many other environments (rooms, corridors, staircases) are impressive.
Obviously the rooms are comfortable, with air conditioning, wifi, mini-bar, fully equipped bathroom (in my room there was also a separate space with Jacuzzi pool, I don't know if all rooms are equipped). The breakfast is up to the standard of the hotel: the presence of typical Sicilian cheeses is remarkable.
The service is excellent: a single flaw in my stay (but not enough to chiange my rating of the hotel) is that one night I couldn't make a long distance call from my room. The staff immediately came and put me in connection through the reception.
The hotel is of course not for those traveling on budget. The cost of my room (as I said Jacuzzi included) amounted to € 126 per day, and is probably reduced as a result of an agreement with a public Board. However, this is overall one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Brun066
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights as part of a small-group tour of Sicily. Palermo was certainly the loudest, most chaotic and unruly place we visited on the island, and in some ways the hardest to like, but the Piazza Borsa was such a welcome (and welcoming) refuge in the center of all the madness.

The historic, gracious building with its lovely inner courtyard (the Cloister) has a very central location within walking distance of many of Palermo's attractions, yet it's set back enough from the main drag that all is tranquil within its walls. My twin room had a balcony overlooking a busy neighborhood side street, but when the balcony doors were closed, all was peaceful inside. Both bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable and well-supplied with amenities, and the housekeeping staff kept everything sparkling clean. Only two quirks detracted a bit from the room: The hangers in the closet were so high that unless you're over 6 feet tall, you'll have to stand on a chair to hang up your clothes; and wi-fi doesn't work in the room.

Breakfast--an excellent, ample buffet included in the room rate--was a treat, with enough variety to please all palates. They even served soy milk and almond milk as alternatives to dairy milk--something I haven't often found in hotel breakfast buffets. More self-indulgent treats included cakes and pastries on the sweet side and a whole prosciutto on the savory side. The staff kept the buffet well-stocked and cheerfully brought to our table endless cups of cappuccino. What a great start to the day!

Finally, the efficient, gracious front-desk staff deserves special mention. Any request, no matter how large or small, were met with courtesy and kindness. If I ever return to Palermo, I would happily stay at the Piazza Borsa again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelbug61
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Although overall, the location, the property and the room were all fine and would have rated a very good rating, but at the end they left us shaking our heads in disbelief. On the first day, I'd taken a bottle of water out of the mini-frig and put it on top. It rolled behind the frig; we couldn't reach it. I duly reported it to the desk, they sent someone up, but he couldn't retrieve it either. The frig was nailed to the cabinet etc. and would have required tools etc. Don't you know they charged us 1 euro 90 for the water?! - Then we made the mistake of not paying for all our glasses of wine at the bar with cash and not putting it on the room tab. They did give us receipts but these had NO prices on them. At the bar, they were 4 euro. If they wanted to offer a more expensive glass, then we would have known to refuse it if paying with cash. When the room tab was presented, it had charges far in excess of 4 euros a glass. - The only Wi-Fi (free as Americans understand it) is in the lobby area, close to the desk. This area is very cold! - The property is very pretty and "grand." Too bad that they're spoiling the whole experience with their chiseling. Caveat!

Room Tip: Our room was close to the residential buildings on the other side of the street. There was noise of partying the first night, but the room has three layers of curtains (and we were tired.) It was very large, particularly the bathroom, which has two sinks - a nice plus. The bath tub had no grips to exit, so could be dangerous without help to get out of it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Carol K
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I had reservations about staying here as some reviews on TA were not favorable. However, our experience was excellent. After I made my reservation online, I had a couple of questions about my room and location. I called the hotel and they pulled it up immediately and resolved my issues. The hotel was bright and clean and the front desk was very helpful. We wanted to check if the Archaeological Museum was open and he called a couple of people to confirm that it wasn't. We were very pleasantly surprised and would definitely stay here again. The location is excellent and within walking distance of all the historic area. Other posters had said it was difficult to find the entrance so I have posted some pictures that I hope will help.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Architecturally this is a gracious hotel with a beautiful inner courtyard. The hotel is the former stock exchange building. It is ideally located in a quiet square. We had a very clean, well appointed room. The dining room is large and majestic? The desk staff are friendly and helpful. The main purpose of this hotel is to cater for conferences, seminars and other functions. It can feel a little impersonal. However, it suited our needs very well and we were very happy with it.

Stayed: October 2013