“Seafood heaven”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I Sapori del Mare is a rare find: a tiny, unassuming restaurant, run by the kindest of people, serving the best and freshest seafood imaginable (at anachronistically low prices, too). Shortly after we were seated, the owner invited us on an "itinerario gastronomico", to which we happily obliged. The journey kicked off with a caravan of antipasti - marinated anchovies with olives, crispy fried sardines, octopus salad, oysters, marinated red prawns (gamberi rossi) on lettuce, carpaccio of red tuna - all prepared with great attention to taste, texture and detail (even the delicious olive oil is of their own making). This was followed by a deceptively simple, yet stunning dish of homemade pasta with tomato, mint and flakes of raw sword fish, topped with chopped pistachios and fried slivers of aubergine for added texture. The main course was fritto misto in two acts, first squid, then a variety of tiny whole fish (we were able to identify red mullet, gurnard, sea bass and bream), all fried to perfection, i.e. crispy without a trace of greasiness and with just the right amount of seasoning. An unspectacular but very satisfactory ricotta fritter completed a meal that set us back 30 euro per person, bread, mineral water, wine and coffee included. To put this into perspective, in my hometown of Amsterdam (NL) this amount wouldn't even buy the ingredients to a single "itinerario". As far as I'm concerned, seafood doesn't get any better than this.

3  Thank rusalom

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This restaurant is like sitting in the extended living room of a Sicilian family. Fine dining it is not, but if you're looking for a different, traditional, cosy meal with good homely service then this place is a winner. The antipasti was fresh and traditional, followed by some delicious fish served by a very friendly and efficient young waiter. The wine was a clean, crisp Sicilian White that was very easy drinking and at €10 a bottle or €3 for the largest glass of wine I have seen.....Add to this a free dessert wine great value.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is one of the best meals i have ever had.....the place is not much it's true but the food is spectacular. the chap who served us simply told us to leave it in his hands and told us he will bring us antipasti and then suggested a fresh fish to share....i was a bit worried it was all going to add up to some huge bill at the end as there was no written menu...the food he brought us was amazing....i ve never tasted mussels like the ones i had there...they were so fresh and succulent...plus we were treated to a whole lot of other different antipasti as well...the fish was lovely as well...we had been suggested a lovely bottle of wine which washed everything down a treat.......the price was much less than i had expected....when i next visit palermo this is one of the places i am going to seek out and revisit for sure

2  Thank maria m
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A very small place with an simple yet "at home" feel run by a husband and wife. I had a wonderful handmade pasta with cherry tomatoes, shrimp and ginger (something I had never heard of before). There was no menu. The owner gave us a few options based on what was fresh. These are good people who really take good care of their guests.

1  Thank amerilano
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Non ho mai mangiato così bene in un ristorante a palermo ! Complimenti per il lavoro che svolgete ! Obviously the best restaurant from Palermo . I didn't expect such a quality of all and is not expensive ! You wanna EAT? Just choose it ! ✌️

1  Thank Valeanu A