“Decadence”

NH Palermo
Ranked #23 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I've been in this hotel an average of 2 times/month for two years for business purposes. I had many chances to weight all the parameters and the result is always....NEGATIVE!!
During the day the environment of this hotel is still acceptable: the magnificent Palermo harbour is in front of you. After sunset, otherwise, there's lot of prostitutes in the vicinity and even parking your car is a problem, expecially if you are a man alone.
Beside that, the property is not well kept, the restaurant is miles apart from being a witness of fantastic sicilian cookery. Despite I was a guest on regular basis, neither warmness in welcoming, nor attentive care toward me. Several times I had to face embarassing request of direct payment at check out, while all my stays were prepaid by a leading international tourism company. The hotel is very popular among tour operators and is always full of foreign guests: is amazing that the fluency in english is lower than basic in most of the hotel workers.
Do you know what's the good new?? My company decided to switch to other hotel chain......and I'm so happy to go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AlexSicily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here 5 years ago, when it was the Jolly and it was extremely nice, so we booked it again. Apparently it was sold 4 years ago and it had definitely gone downhill. Rooms were decent and the pool was nice, since it was quite hot and humid while we were there. The most annoying thing was they advertised FREE WI-FI...which they did provide, however, you had to go to the desk to get a code and it was only good for 30 minutes---AND only worked in the lobby! Not only that, it was so slow, that it was had to even read your email or post a picture in 30 minutes. You could go back and get another code, but then you had to start all over again! They definitely need to upgrade that system!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in a NH hotel and it will be my last that's for sure.

Cons for the NH Palermo:
On arrival our room wasn't ready and we were told we would have to wait until 2.30 which was not great after an early morning start. After a quick change in the toilet cubicle we went to the pool to relax. Unfortunately a hotel with 400 plus rooms can only offer 13 sun beds which were all taken and we didn't want to join the group of awaiting sunbathers so we decided have a look at the sea. A look at the sea is all we could do as it is surrounded by huge boulders and what we wasn't told is that the beach is a €25-30 cab journey away (although it is worth a visit). when we finally received the keys to our room unfortunatley it was looking very tired, rusty towel rail, fittings hanging off ect. The satellite tv was great if you liked watching the news repeat itself!! The reception was hit and miss sometimes they were really helpful other times not. We asked for restaurant recommendations and where sent to a pizzeria 15 mins walk away, they forgot to tell us about a great restaurant in a roof top garden next door. Day 3 finally get a sunbed yippee although this was short lived. The travel agent forgot to tell us that this hotel holds many functions which take over large areas of the hotel, we were told to leave to pool at 3.45 as a wedding was booked.

Pros:
The pool is wet......

It was a shame as Palermo can be a great place as long as you have planned a little. Especially restaurants which trip advisor is great for.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WineC C
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Nice swimming pool,
Small but modern rooms,
located on the seafront nearby the harbor,
Small parking but with guards.
Restaurant with limited menu but acceptable.
Bar almost always un-attended.

Do not walk out after dinner the surroundings are not well frequented.

Room Tip: Avoid front rooms to reduce the noise level
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank XavierMelisse
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I quite enjoyed seeing the transvestite prostitute dancing at the road entrance as we returned from a day out. However, this hotel lacks atmosphere. Our room reservation got sort of messed up which meant a delay in checking in, Great to be upgarded to a suite (we didnt complain or try to blag a freebie). Thank you reception. The suite however was bland and a bit oddly laid out. The bathroom was poorly finished with lose fittings and dried cement on the floor tiles. The suite coud almost have been chic... but it was more travelodge. What really did it for me was breakfast. I tucked into the scrambled eggs and bacon... It was not just cold it was freezing. When I asked why, the staff offered to microwave the.food on my plate! The staff in fairness where lovely.. but I was glad to upgrade to the Felice hotel down the road. Some changes and this hotel would be fine. It was cheap, but I dont want cheap and poor. Plus point: parking.

Room Tip: away from pool and function suite if it is the weekend (weddings)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

What is wrong with these people writing bad reviews?
The reception were extremely helpful, english was absolutely fine, happy to point us in the direction of restaurants, help us get the correct buses and even highlight points of interest on their handout maps. We booked a deluxe room and I have to admit we walked in and i was not too impressed. We went to reception and upgraded to the superior room and it was great! Room was clean, great view from balcony, bathroom was great, room was not huge but how big do you need a room? One great feature me and my girlfriend loved was the speaker system connected to the TV that plays in the bathroom. The TV also comes with a load of music to listen to.
The pool area was great! Never too busy and always very peaceful..
The hotel was clean, the location was excellent (15 minute walk to central station and via roma) and the breakfast was pretty good. I would definitely come back..

Room Tip: I didn't see the standard room. We booked the deluxe and it looked a little run down and had old...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krayg G
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Worst NH hotel I have ever stayed in. Rooms are run down cleanliness is an issue. Poor English skills at the reception.... Really no English speaking customers come to Palermo?

Chairs in the lobby are covered with white slipcovers, they do not look like they have ever been laundered.. Sad....

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends