“we failed with the market but found a fab small restaurant”
Review of La Vucciria

and up
Old City and Downtown Palermo Bike Tour
Ranked #67 of 393 things to do in Palermo
More attraction details
Owner description: You can find just about anything here at Palermo's busy street market.
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I don't know what we did wrong with La Vucciria apart from obviously not get up early enough... we got there by ten a.m. which is clearly too late - I did find the guide books etc quite vague, the rough guide for example seems to imply the markets all open until at least 2. That said we still managed to stock up with some good cheese, bread and fruit from some small shops - it was bliss buying perfectly ripe cherries and apricots in May. I've yet to buy an edible apricot in the UK, so I was in heaven right there. There was a blessing in one of the churches near Teatro Massimo for Santa Rita and I wondered if that had had an impact on how quiet the place was, as everyone was going to get bunches or roses blessed at the church.

Anyway, the best thing about Vucciria market is that we found one of those places with the antipasti that had a number of small tables and seats - it's called Mina (though I hadn't spotted any name, it's just that they gave us a card) and it's on Via Pannieri 28 just off Piazza Caracciolo and linking to via Corso Emmanuela. The main man behind the counter was not going to crack a smile, but hey, the food was delicious, fantastic range of antipasti and nibbles: we had stuffed squid, swordfish steak, caponata, the aubergine rolls things (sorry!) and more. It was quite a hub, the stall holders obv frequent the place and there seemed to be a lot of banter going on. Anyway, we went twice - once to take away for a picnic and once to sit down and eat there. And that's my Vucciria experience :-) So the excellent refers to Mina's and the apricots rather than the market experience itself.

1  Thank Teresa B
There are newer reviews for La Vucciria

Reviewed 28 August 2011

wondering @ the streets of Palermo, tired of my inutile lonely planet guide , we stumbled upon a market , full of people. Everyone had a cold beer ,siting at plastic chairs and ordering sardines, shrimps, fresh fruits etc from local tiendas. Fresh, delicious, cheap, real food by real people.
Do visit this market ,especialy at night (8-9 pm) for a true feeling of Palermian food.and atmosphere.

4  Thank aka-visitor
Reviewed 7 September 2008

La Vucciria of old isn't around anymore. What with EU quotas and the over-fishing of the Med having largely killed off indepedent sources of seafood, and the growth of supermarkets, for most ordinary Palermitans, the market just doesn't enter into the daily shopping itinerary.

La Vucciria is still haunted by pickpockets, but so are most of the train and bus stations in Europe, for the same reasons - it's where the tourists are! I would advice women to leave their handbags at home, or bring a rucksack for the essentials.

As for the previous reviewers talk of "loose women" etc. during the day the area around the Vucciria is as safe as any other inner-city area. By night, well even I feel nervous at times!

All that said, la Vucciria is as close as you'll get to an African market this side of Malta.

4  Thank sean.casaidhe
Reviewed 13 October 2007

The Vucciria Market can be found at Piazza San Domenico immediately adjacent to the Church, as it winds it's way down towards Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
The scents are amazing - I was guided in by the strong scent of fresh peaches before it gave way to spices and then to the cooking meat smells. The stalls sell a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, locally caught fish, preserves, spices, cheese and household goods and are a daily part of life for locals as well as an attraction for visitors.
I had been warned not to wander around by myself, not to stand around taking photos with my camera on show and to keep a tight grip on my bag. Hmm...I managed one out of three and kept a tight grip on my bag!
I found myself in a side street leading to an alleyway and felt a little uncomfortable until I found my way back to Piazza San Domenico. However, I would definetely recommend a visit but I would also recommend sticking to the main throughfare.

6  Thank debdancing
Reviewed 27 March 2003

No one loves Palermo more than I do, having lived there after marrying (in the Cathedral) into an old Sicilian family, but your review regarding 'a Vucciria is misleading. While it's been a few years since I've been back, I know that it's still not a place where American tourists can wander blithely about unawares. It's an area that can be, and historically has been, dangerous. Not without reason does the name mean "the slaughterhouse." Young ladies should not wander about alone, there or anywhere in Sicily. It's unseemly. Sicilian girls don't, and if you do, you'll be treated like what you will seem to the Sicilian men: a loose woman. You would be better off in a group or with a male companion. That being said, the food is wonderful (try the octopus) and you will see the true character of Sicily.

31  Thank Randaggia