“Awe-inspiring”

Affresco del Trionfo della morte
Ranked #27 of 339 things to do in Palermo
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Palermo's Regional Art Gallery, the well-known "Triumph of Death" fresco dates from the fifteenth century, but the artist is unknown.
india
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awe-inspiring”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Completely unexpected, the artwork took my breath away. There are other gems in the museum. An afternoon well spent.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank beemar

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wheelchair user review”
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

I tried my best italian to see how much it would cost to go in (€8) after much confusion the rotund older gentleman gave a speil which included the price. (I couldn't see it written anywhere) The staff were extremely helpful once they realised I was with my partner who is a wheelchair user. A lady pointed him out (as he was waiting outside of the office, because he couldn't get in) the man then gave me two tickets and said 'free' we were amazed!

As it was quiet the lady escorted us around the ground floor. You have to cross a cobbled courtyard which might be tricky for independent chair users.
We then had to negotiate narrow glass doorways and deep (single) steps through the different sections. (3sections i think) My partners chair is an 18in seat in width.

Once the ground floor was done the rest if it was easy as it had a glass lift that took us to the remaining 2 floors all smooth wooden flooring. (power chairs will fit in the lift)

Although not especially religious minded, we found the artwork and statues amazing. it's very well spaced out.

I would check the opening times. There is also a disabled loo on the ground floor but we didn't use it so can't comment.

Worth a visit (especially if they let you in gratis! Oh and infirmiera is Italian for nurse ;)

2 Thank clarabel74
Oakland, California, United States
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Triumph of Death is a Triumph”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This one fresco was the main reason I went to visit this museum and it alone was well worth the visit. Picasso's Guernica has nothing on this amazing scene from 1446.

There was a good selection of sacred art. All was nicely presented - not cluttered - so it was pleasant to view the various objects.

Sadly there were no postcards or books available at the museum. One might hope in the future that arts administrators in Palermo would be able to offer more interpretive materials like books. You're also not allowed to take photos.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Pam S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Rip Off! Beware!”
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

There is no denying this is an awesome piece of work ! We did however have a terrible experience at this gallery today. The man selling the tickets did the old ' I'll give you this euro note if you give me that etc that resulted in him short changing us by 10 euros . Despite us kicking up a huge fuss it was our word against his . I expect this from taxi drivers and streethawkers but from an official in an establishment like this it's a disgrace ! Totally spoilt our visit.

6 Thank rachelcar03
Toronto, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“dull and rushed”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Palermo is only half open with many areas of imporatant attractions closed. please check before going. for example when is the Museum going to reopen??

Visited July 2012