“Surprisingly powerful and capturing”

Affresco del Trionfo della morte
Ranked #27 of 339 things to do in Palermo
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Palermo's Regional Art Gallery, the well-known "Triumph of Death" fresco dates from the fifteenth century, but the artist is unknown.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Surprisingly powerful and capturing”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I got there by accident, I was actually in the museum to see Madonna Annunziata.

Spent good 15 minutes there in silence, on my own, and I just couldn't stop looking at this fresco.

A must see.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Agata Z

Newport, United Kingdom
196 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 551 helpful votes
“Triumph of allegory”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

€8 for the entry fee. Helpful and knowledgeable staff. The fresco itself is a masterpiece of neo-gothic allegory. The viewing point is excellently positioned to get a great overview of this work. Other pieces in the vicinity also worth viewing but this really was quite special.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Dave H
London
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our italian is pretty ropey so it was tricky working out how much it was to get in but the artwork displayed was really awe inspiring, especially the fresco. Liked the viewing gallery from above. Well worth a visit.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank leweslondon
india
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awe-inspiring”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Completely unexpected, the artwork took my breath away. There are other gems in the museum. An afternoon well spent.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank beemar
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wheelchair user review”
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

I tried my best italian to see how much it would cost to go in (€8) after much confusion the rotund older gentleman gave a speil which included the price. (I couldn't see it written anywhere) The staff were extremely helpful once they realised I was with my partner who is a wheelchair user. A lady pointed him out (as he was waiting outside of the office, because he couldn't get in) the man then gave me two tickets and said 'free' we were amazed!

As it was quiet the lady escorted us around the ground floor. You have to cross a cobbled courtyard which might be tricky for independent chair users.
We then had to negotiate narrow glass doorways and deep (single) steps through the different sections. (3sections i think) My partners chair is an 18in seat in width.

Once the ground floor was done the rest if it was easy as it had a glass lift that took us to the remaining 2 floors all smooth wooden flooring. (power chairs will fit in the lift)

Although not especially religious minded, we found the artwork and statues amazing. it's very well spaced out.

I would check the opening times. There is also a disabled loo on the ground floor but we didn't use it so can't comment.

Worth a visit (especially if they let you in gratis! Oh and infirmiera is Italian for nurse ;)

2 Thank clarabel74