“Disappointing evening”

Neighbourhood: Tribunali
Dublin
“Disappointing evening”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were very disappointed with our trip to Gadir. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and very comfortable to sit in. However we didn't find the food or the service of a similar standard. My starter was lovely, a mixed traditional antipasto plate. We also had a nice wine. However we found it very difficult to get a chance to enjoy it properly. We hadn't finished eating our starters when the waitress came over to try and whip our plates away. Our mains were thens served less than 30 seconds after I put my fork down and both were lukewarm - they obviously had been sitting waiting in the kitchen for a few minutes. I would expect that in a restaurant this expensive the kitchen not prepare our main courses until after we had finished eating the starters. If we had wanted a fast food experience we would have gone to one of the more casual restaurants in the neighborhood. Both mains were poorly seasoned and bland (as was my partner's starter). I ate less than half of mine, and the waitress whisked the plate away without asking if it had been okay. So I would not recommend. Overpriced, frosty staff and mediocre service (to tourists at any rate - the big groups around us were being very well looked after) and food.

• Visited November 2011
6 Thank Saraos

NW England
“Superb”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Easily the best meal we had in Palermo, this restaurant is well worth searching out.

Despite being in a poor part of town, everything about it is first class.

3 course meal, including wine and water, for two, €95 in Oct 2011. Beautiful mixed starter, lovely mushroom pasta and a gorgeous panacotta to finish.

Highly recommended.

whistler
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Had an amazing dinner. Was just a 2 min walk from our place. I ordered the fois gras and steak and my husband a pasta and swordfish. I informed the waitress that I was allergic to gluten and she recommended another choice the seafood salad, it was fantastic. Our Sicilian wine, which they have a great selection of, was great. The music was interesting because they were definitely trying to accommodate us with bosa nova playing californication red hot chili peppers and poker face by lady gaga but done to a elevator jazz kind of music. My husband might get his restaurant to play this back in Canada.
We had dessert, I, a panna cotta and my husband, a chocolate lave cake, and a glass of averno and my husband a local Sicilian oro di Dora digestive.
Service was spot on!
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Sicily. Blew the micheline rated restaurant in Catania out of the water.
Will go back!

• Visited September 2011
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“food with a connoisseur 's touch”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Gadir is next to Maria dello Spassimo, a marvelous destroyed church that hosts jazz concerts. it goes well with the location. It has something rustic, misterious, an old knowledge, completeness, unexplainable details in the food. As I remember Alessandro is an art historian, so as he has touch for beauty in art so does he for food, as well as for the people. The atmosphere itself also allows you to fully dedicate yourself to this excellent food, wines with subtle taste and your company.

• Visited July 2011
Naples, Italy
“My best experience in Palermo”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I had the opportunity to appreciate the Gadir four times now. Everytime I found a new dish, based on the freshest available fish on the market and every time was a pleasant experience. I prefer to have lunch at Gadir, to have a look at the Spasimo Church but last night we had a nice experience too, since the square was full of people enjoying the last summer evenings outside ( otherwise it may be a desert, sometimes dangerous place). The restaurant has two large rooms, comfortable table, friendly but professional service. The owner is a quiet Sicilian gentleman, fond of food and expert in Sicilian wines.

• Visited August 2011