“An Oasis” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ristorante Gadir
Ranked #223 of 1,686 Restaurants in Palermo
Price range: US$36 - US$58
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Tribunali
Montreal, Canada
“An Oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Ristorante Gadir is an oasis in a rather squalid area of Palermo. Modern chic decor, courteous service and interesting menu with specialities from Pantelleria. Make sure you try the cassata for dessert.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Palermo, Italia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An amazing hidden gem in front of one of the best attractions of Palermo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

After a visit to the church of the Spasimo, we went to Gadir. The atmosphere made me think I was in for an "expensive" dinner, but I decided to stay anyways.
For starters we had "Crostini ai Ricci" (Oven baked slices of bread with beautifully seasoned sea-urchins) and "Tartara di Tonno" (Tuna tartar with some thinly sliced red onion and capers to give it a great flavour). The staff was very cordial and happy to help us with the choice of wine: Zibibbo (the dry one, not the sweet one).
As a main course we had pastas: Caserecce with Pesto Ericino, prawns and toasted almond and Linguine with aricciola (fish), fennel and something else (I forgot, I apologize).
To end this incredible journey through Sicilian tastes and aromas, we had an Orange and Vanilla Creme Brulee and a Hot Chocolate BabyCake with Homemade Pistachio Ice-Cream.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!

We then met the owner Alessandro, who made sure we left happy and then showed us the bill.

After seeing the price (more than reasonable for the quality and the amount of food eaten there), I was almost ready to sit down and start over again.

Definetely a hidden gem in Palermo!!

• Visited September 2012
Europe
“Excellent dinner, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

we had excellent dinner in a group of people, the food we got was delicious, friendly service included. The Sicilian wine was so good that I treid both white and red wine. This restaurant is definitely a good choice!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank EuropeTravelcat
Dublin
“Disappointing evening”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were very disappointed with our trip to Gadir. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and very comfortable to sit in. However we didn't find the food or the service of a similar standard. My starter was lovely, a mixed traditional antipasto plate. We also had a nice wine. However we found it very difficult to get a chance to enjoy it properly. We hadn't finished eating our starters when the waitress came over to try and whip our plates away. Our mains were thens served less than 30 seconds after I put my fork down and both were lukewarm - they obviously had been sitting waiting in the kitchen for a few minutes. I would expect that in a restaurant this expensive the kitchen not prepare our main courses until after we had finished eating the starters. If we had wanted a fast food experience we would have gone to one of the more casual restaurants in the neighborhood. Both mains were poorly seasoned and bland (as was my partner's starter). I ate less than half of mine, and the waitress whisked the plate away without asking if it had been okay. So I would not recommend. Overpriced, frosty staff and mediocre service (to tourists at any rate - the big groups around us were being very well looked after) and food.

• Visited November 2011
6 Thank Saraos
NW England
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Easily the best meal we had in Palermo, this restaurant is well worth searching out.

Despite being in a poor part of town, everything about it is first class.

3 course meal, including wine and water, for two, €95 in Oct 2011. Beautiful mixed starter, lovely mushroom pasta and a gorgeous panacotta to finish.

Highly recommended.