“Worst experience ever or better no experience at all!”

Cult 'N' Sea - La Casetta dell'Artista
Ranked #389 of 478 Palermo B&B and Inns
Stuttgart, Germany
“Worst experience ever or better no experience at all!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I've booked a double room at the B&B Cult n' Sea Palermo in Sicily, received a confirmation and payed a non-refundable charge of 13.50 Euros with my VISA card. Upon arrival in front of the B&B which was at 1 p.m. on August 24th (we arrived shortly after at 1.30 p.m.) two rather strange guys (obviously immigrants from North Africa) stood in front of the B&B with a sheet of paper obviously waiting for the guests as the proprietor was not in the B&B herself. My name was not written on their piece of paper and so they called the "madame" as they called her and she told them that there is no reservation for us and the B&B is completely booked. The two guys were neither able to speak Italian nor English well and I suspect that these poor guys received a few Euros for waiting in front of the B&B so that "madame" can remain at home. As I speak Italian fluently I called the number given on the reservation sheet and ended up talking to "madame" personally. I've never in my life talked to another person as rude and unfriendly as this woman. She would repeat that there is no reservation at the B&B and that she has never received the amount of 13.50 Euros by anybody with my name. She told us to find another place in Palermo which is almost impossible during the month of august. She wouldn't come over to the B&B to help us, instead she told me, that she will look for another B&B and tell us. When I called her back after round about half an hour later standing in front of the B&B with the two guys she hung up the phone when she saw my number. This was an incredibly disappointing experience for us, as the three nights we booked in the B&B were our last in Sicily after a great time all around the island. I suppose I will never see the 13.50 Euros again. Luckily we found another B&B in Palermo but without the help of that woman. So I can't give any more information about the place itself.
I would like all other travellers to know about our experience. I think the so called "madame" earns her money with the reservation of rooms which she doesn't give to her guests afterwards and not only that but she obviously exploits immigrants from Africa who are seeking a job in Europe. That's not fair. Avoid this place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anja B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 14 August 2013

After our flight being delayed I was in touch with the owners to advise them we would be after 8 (check in) and she said someone would meet us there. After arriving someone was there to meet us. There is no air con in the rooms so beware it is VERY hot during summer! We had to ask the lady who came to set up breakfast in the morning who we actually checked in with and pay too so we didn't end up seeing the owner until the morning before we left. Overall a nice and comfortable stay checking in at a normal time and have no requests, eg. We ran out of toilet paper one night and couldn't get any until the next morning when they arrived for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I would not recommend this b'n'b to my worst enemy. We had a little disagreement with the owner of this b'n'b in Palermo. She wanted our money up-front in advance without giving us a receipt. We trusted her and she let us stay at the b'n'b for the three nights we payed her. The first night we came home early and we wanted to lock the door properly. We shared the b'n'b with two other women and they had already turned in for the night. So we locked the door but now we were trapped inside the apartment because the lock was old and rusty. When the owner arrived the next morning she would not stop screaming that we were crazy for locking the door and that we were spoiled brats from the north. She would make us pay for our stupidity as well as her old rusty locked door. A nice man climbed up the balcony and fixed the door for us. During the rest of our stay there she treated us with contempt. We could not afford to move (she had our money) so endured it. We hated our stay there. The owner truly is a disagreeable and intimadating lady. Don't book a room at the cult'n'sea is my advice to you if you want a pleasant stay in Palermo.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Goodnight7

Travellers are raving about these Palermo hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We booked the B&B without seeing any warnings about late arrival. After replying to several emails requesting our arrival time to confirm that we would arrive about 10pm, and not hearing any reply, as well as a phone call to confirm our arrival time, we were surprised to arrive at 9.15pm to find the place locked with no answer when ringing the bell. Another phone call resulted in us being told that our arrival time 'did not suit the owner' and we would have to stay elsewhere. An interesting start to our trip!
Luckily we were able to rearrange our stay to the Gran Maestro B&B near San Domenico, which was very nice and in a much better area of Palermo for seeing the main sights and I would recommend them instead.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine H
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Beautiful view from room.
Good price and centrally located. Tapas bars and restaurants around the corner.
Clean, large room (shared bathroom) with clean linen and large bath towels.
We felt at home with the host (can't remember his name). Breakfast was good.
It was a lovely stay and I can recomment it to all other people.
The day before we left my friends' suitcase broke and the had to arrange a local courier service to send back home, the owner arranged everything for her.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view, although the rooms with view are a bit noisy early evenings with lots of veh...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Goggatjie
Palermo
Reviewed 17 May 2012

The service was more than we experienced. The person from the hotel came and fetched us in her car beacuse we could not find the small street where the hotel was situated. The breakfast was very, very good with new baked cakes.
The situation of the hotel was excellent with the view of the harbour with many sailing boats. The location was not far away from intressted placed in historical Parlermo.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Eva P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Real excellent value for money!
The room was nicely decorated and very clean. the view on the "cala"- the little bay with the boats - makes it a little treasure at a walking distance from the centre of the city.
The hosting skills of the owner are unbeatable. Furthermore her breakfast is fresh, home made and the best local ingredients are sourced one by one.
Really looking forward to go there again.
Mariarosa & Aldo from London