“Very nice hotel, good service, a bit away from sights”

Hotel Principe di Villafranca
Ranked #36 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed 6 June 2006

The welcome was great and the rooms very comfortable. It is attractive and quiet and the breakfasts were good. It is a little way from the main sights in Palermo, but we did walk to to the Duomo and the Kalsa area easily enough. Finding it is not easy, but then driving in Palermo is horrible wherever you stay!

5  Thank Peter G

Reviewed 29 May 2006

We loved the location. The best shopping district in Palermo. Safe for late night walking -- many wine bars and restaurants in the neighborhood. The opera and the old city are an easy walk as well. The breakfast is great. Not the Ritz, but fine for the price. Staff seemed willing and able. When we arrive, I was 40 Euros short for the taxi fare and went in and asked the receptionist for 40 Euros for the taxi. She handed over the 40 Euros without a blink. I paid back the 40 at check out.

2  Thank Beachbilly
Reviewed 16 May 2006

This hotel was very difficult to find and the receptionist was disinterested, almost arrogant. We booked a double room and got two single beds. We then asked for a room with a double bed and was told the hotel was filled but never saw another soul the whole time we were there, which was one day.

We selected this hotel because we had an early flight to Rome the next morning and it was closer to the airport than the recommended hotels in the center of Palermo.

The room was rather piperack-y. The bare essentials, nothing attractive, rather dingy.

The bathroom was brand new, marble and very clean. There were very nice amenities available--shampoo, etc. I'm not big on hotel bathrobes, always have my own, so that's not an issue. The hairdryer was the best I encountered in Italy this trip.

Didn't eat in the restaurant, in fact, didn't know there was one.

Palermo is a terribly crowded city and if we had believed the tour books on this point, we would have avoided the city altogether. There are much nicer places in Sicily to stay.

5  Thank Josie323
Reviewed 2 March 2006

We stayed 5 days in Palermo .Exceptional staff , helpful with everything from cell phones to room service to last minute cancelations for friends. Kind ,efficient and professional.

Stayed: February 2006
Reviewed 1 March 2006

I stayed at the Principe Di Villafranca for 3 nights last summer with a large family group, which gave me the opportunity to see 11 rooms, including the 1 suite pictured in the hotel's site. The suite was very large and comfortable; the other 10 rooms varied in size, but all were acceptable. Bathrooms are modern, but on the small side, particularly one room we were assigned at the begining, which was really small but got to change to another room without any problems. The hotel has a nice living area, with a computer with free internet access, and a small bar. We enjoyed this area very much after our long walks to the sites. We had dinner at the hotel once and it was fine, but there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I should warn you that when I first saw the hotel from the outside I was worried, since it looks like an apartment building from the fifties in a middle class neighborhood, but in the end it was very pleasant and I would stay there again. Considering the high prices of most hotels in Europe, this is a good and affordable option.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank MamaMacu
A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed 9 December 2005

We stayed in the Hotel Principe for one night, having read excellent reviews on this website and in our Lonely Planet guidebook. However - the hotel in no way lived up to our expectations - I was shocked and extremely disappointed. The room was just awful - the baseboards were coming away from the wall, there appeared to be mold under them, the sheets were paper thin (nice look at a yellow stained pillow, ugh). Let's see there was a built-in ugly counter, a bizzare closet that appeared to be a middle-school shop project (I have never seen such a strange and ugly closet projecting into a room in my life - wish I had a pic but didn't want to remember it!) And there was a bath (with quite a few hairs in it!) and the shower head had nothing to hang it on so you could take a proper shower - my husband and I took turns holding the shower head up for each other. Also, they control the heat from the front desk - yes, if you are too hot or cold you have to CALL them - what is that about? Are we paying guests not to be trusted with a thermostat??? It was December and COLD, and had to call a couple times to get the heat turned up - makes you feel like an annoying person to keep doing that.

I realize this sounds like a horrid review but put it in perspective - this was the last night of our honeymoon, and I had tried to surprise my husband by staying in a nice hotel to round out an otherwise excellent trip. We payed 170 euro for a double, and other hotels we stayed in elsewhere in Italy were far superior for the same cost.

I would (obviously) never stay here again. Other guests seem to have had better luck, maybe we just got a horrid room, who knows.

• Stayed: December 2005