“ATTENTION ALL ENGLISH SPEAKING TOURISTS...DON'T STAY HERE!!”
Review of Orientale

Orientale
Ranked #58 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

So to sum up this place quickly it is an absolute hell hole that should be avoided at all costs! Obviously if you're reading this, you speak English, and if u can't speak fluent Italian then you have no hope here.

Now the long version: the man checking us in spoke no English, was not friendly at all and was absolutely no help to us. The Internet is terrible, you have to sit in reception (which would be better desribed as the nonna's louge room) and it kept cutting out all the time. One time it wasn't working for over 5 hrs and when I asked the old fart about it he just said "I dunno, it's broke" and that was all. You'll hear loud street noises all day n night. Shared bathroom toilet doesn't even flush, and they ask u to put all paper in the bin instead of the toilet so the whole bathroom stinks of poo!! The lady in the reception is not much better than the old man. When we came down the first morning I asked about the breakfast that was included in the room rate, she informed me that it was finished already! I told we that we didn't even get told about any breakfast and that the man checking us in should've explained it to us, all she said was "I'm sorry this is not my problem". The whole staff are seriously more interested in sitting watching their tv than giving you any kind of service. Now I'm not the kind of stuck up sort of person that I think usually leaves such bad reviews about places, but I just felt that I have to let everyone out there know how bad it REALLY is. We wanted to leave after the first night (first hr really) but I was worried about what we would be charged for cancellation so we didn't bother. So do yourselves a favour and don't even think about staying here, it's not worth saving 10,20 or even 30 euro a night over, just keep looking and book a better place, PLEASE!! We only paid 30euro a night and it was definitely not even worth that!

HELL HOLE!
GET ME OUT OF HERE!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank jayman182

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I had to bookings, due to my flightschedule - late arrival and early departure, so this hotel, which is literally just around the corner from the Palermo Centrale, is the best choice ever.
Other than nice location (for the train station ;) ), i simply just loved and adored the old, worn down elegance this amazing building radiates to a fully extend.
The beautiful gate and inner courtyard, the amazing stairs up to the entrance - bad the breakfast room, with it's old, marvellous furniture, floor to ceiling windows, pretty chandelier and to top it all - the wonderful painting at the ceiling made me want to just sit there all day.
Which you cannot, because sadly enough it's just for breakfast and the door will be locked.
When i made my bookings, i spcified that i wanted inner-courtyard-facing rooms, which i got confirmed by e-mail - but upon arrival i was assigned to rooms facing the smaller street - which also was rather noisy due to the fact that it houses the Balleró market!
(If i have got the inner rooms i asked for, and was promised - i would have given a 5 star rating!)
The service was very warm, kind and accomodating,
If i ever need to stay over in Palermo again, i will never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank PoaMzungu
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This hotel was ok for a one night stay. Clean, close to the train station and shopping area. The inside of the hotel is great, good value for money, yet the building is not in its best shape on the outside. This 1700s palazzo has its charm with original frescoes and stylish furniture in the dining room. However, the first impression from the outside will be that of old Cuba, as the city's old buildings are left to crumble. A really nice interior courtyard. Nice service from family running the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laurabanica
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Just came back from 4 days short holiday in Palermo. Hotel Orientale was great, I gave it 4 stars and if it wasn't the noise from the street I would be glad to give it full 5 stars. Our room was N7 , it was huge with a huge balcony. Beds were comfortable ( we had one double and two single beds but we paid for two persons. The beds were made every day and the room was cleaned and smelled fresh every evening when we came back . The room had a shower and WC since we paid 120e for the whole stay, the ones with shared bathrooms were 90e at that time.

Breakfast was very basic we didn't even bother to eat there, although we had cappuccino and coffee there that was good. Just beside the hotel there was a market and a small shop where we got fresh made sandwiches with giabata and parma ham with cheese for 1.70/2.00 euro, they were delicious.

the location is great, just at the center 5 min walk from central train station,( 45 min / 6euro journey from airport to the station. The noise was unbearable but if you buy a earplugs you will sleep like a baby tru the nite :)

Staff was friendly we had no problems with late arriving or leaving our bags for the day after we checked out. I sent them a mail before we arrived and they answered in a couple of hours.

Room Tip: ask for inside room but keep in mind they can be quite small
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank paulina7_8
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Situated in an old palazzo at one of the main streets of Palermo. Only 5 minutes walking from the station and bus terminal.

Clean accommodation with a character all of its own. Very good value for money !

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms that looks over the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnyDirk
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Old mansion in funky area near the train. Lots of marble stairs. Helpful staff. Cool place. Arab market next door. The breakfast was kind of sad, but the dining room very fine. Interesting place. Great value.

Room Tip: Tough place if you have lots of luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Helen R
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The hotel was mentioned in a guide book and some details about an old palazzo drew my attention (I'm historian and looove places with historic character). I booked three nights for our stay in Palermo which was the start of our trip in Sicily. I was somehow scared by the awfully low price per room and night (48 EUR) and prepared my husband for the worst. We were doing an experiment and if the hotel was really terrible, we would change, etc... The hotel was very near the main station where the airport shuttle stopped and is in one of the most interesting streets of Palermo, the Via Maqueda. And then the (very positive) chock when we arrived. The hotel is indeed on the Bel Etage of the Palazzo Cuto, a XVIII palazzo with red and white marmor staircases and a lovely inner courtyard with a palm tree in the middle. I discovered afterwards the palazzo pictured in one of the reference art books about Baroque in Sicily. The palazzo is not in the best shape nowadays but has all the decadent feeling you're looking for arriving in Palermo! We were enchanted by our room (number 6), very big and very clean. We discovered how to start the air conditioning only after the first night (we put our luggage on the remote control without noticing it:-) and had to open the window (loud because on Via Maqueda and terribly hot in summer). With air conditioning, it was just perfect. Just be carefful when booking a room. I got a glimpse on some rooms in the corridor: very small and without air conditioning. For sightseeing, the hotel is in the city center, you can go on foot everywhere. The breakfast room is lovely with a stunning XVIII fresco on the ceiling (I read that Mussolini made a speech on the balcony...). The quality of the breakfast is ok but not fantastic. You can have a good capuccino and a corneto at the coffee shop in front of the hotel if you are a bit disappointed by the hotel offering. What I enjoyed most was the morning walk through the Ballaro market which starts just behind the hotel (actually the hotel is crossed by an arch street leading straight to the Ballaro.) We were so enthusiastic by our stay that we would prefer thousand times coming back to Orientale than staying in a very luxury 5 star hotel (where we stayed in some other cities of Sicily)!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple