“Central & Close to Everything”
Review of Hotel Letizia

Hotel Letizia
and 1 more site!
Hotel Letizia
Ranked #84 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Beenleigh
“Central & Close to Everything”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We needed a bed for the night whilst travelling through and a travel guidebook recommended it. It is centrally located, walking distance from main town. We had to carry our luggage about 2 flights of stairs, and the double room and bathroom were quite large, and clean. Windows opened up over the street and provided good lighting. A good breakfast was served in an alcove off the 2nd floor. Good restaurants next door and along the street.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Conveniently located, renovated charming old hotel complete with modern facilities including jacuzzi in bathrooms! A bit stuffy/close in July but has fairly adequate AC. Very friendly hotel staff, some English-speaking, some only Siciliana, but all very helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucia4Vass
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 9 July 2012

nice and clean hotel in the old centre of Palermo, close to the interesting places and restaurants

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Situated right next to the Piazza Marina and very short walk away from the main parts of old town Palermo (Four Corners etc.), the Hotel Letizia is a good place to stay. It is located in an old building and rooms, while clean, have very tall ceilings, interesting antique furniture and a "old world" ambiance. The breakfast room is sufficient and the breakfast ample. One drawback is the lack of an elevator, you must climb a narrow staircase to get to the reception....so if you are carrying heavy suitcases, be prepared to grunt your way up the stairs.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Martinez, California
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This place has a sewage-like smell on the first flight of stairs up to the hotel. Then it just smells moldy/musty when you reach to hotel...very unpleasant. The room we got was potentially treacherous because you had to step down from the hallway into the room, and you had to step up into the bathroom...this is hazardous if you use the bathroom in the middle of the night or if you have to vacate the room in an emergency. Only one window in the room, and it opened up onto a common outdoor patio accessible to anyone. That's not safe or secure. If you equate a charming atmosphere with musty odors and rooms that have no safety standards, then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: We were shown a few other rooms, but you couldn't escape the musty odor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M M

Travellers are raving about these Palermo hotels

Giardini Naxos
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I booked the “hotel” Letizia for 2 nights (non refundable) based on the reviews here and the recommendation of a friend who had stayed there a few times a few years ago I anticipated no problems. When my travelling companion and I checked in, the stench that greeted us on the ground floor was bad but slightly less so on the upper floors, since we had already paid for 2 nights and they were still cleaning we went out and hoped it would be better when we came back. The condition of the hotel seemed a bit dingy, not dirty so we had hope! We both noticed that the photos on their site do not depict the hotel as it is today. We had been traveling around Sicily for a week and planned to spend our last 2 nights there, I’ll be writing about those other hotels soon but wanted to get this info out ASAP before others make the same mistake we did.

When we came back the smell was worse, I would describe it as a sewer with deodorant on top, I think they were making an attempt to cover it up. We opened the window but it was everywhere so I went to speak to reception to see if we could find a solution. I was shown other rooms but the smell was pervasive, though the receptionist claimed that there was no smell. I asked that we get a refund for just one of the 2 nights we had paid for, though we would be leaving immediately because the smell was making us sick. At the end we left over 200 Euros and went to another hotel rather than to stay in a “hotel” (honestly a pensione) that smelled like a cesspit. The stink was so bad it was even on our clothes which we removed immediately when we arrived at the new hotel!!! I made it clear before I left that if we could not reach an agreement on the refund that I would be writing about it on Trip Advisor so they clearly have no care for their reputation.

I stayed in hostels in my youth but never in a place so malodorous; imagine my embarrassment bringing a friend there or that of the friend who recommended it to me. Why we found this problem while others did not I have no idea, if it was a temporary condition I have no idea, I do know what we found and the managements reaction to our complaint which was to claim that we were the only people to ever have such a complaint. I do see some others here who have found the same problem with the smell going back to 2006. In the end I can only assure you that we didn’t walk away from 2 night lodging and more than 200 Euros for no reason.

Room Tip: DO NOT pay in advance; the manager doesn’t care about her guests, only about getting your money.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sea2Sicily
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Have stayed here three times - grwar service, fantastic location - beautifully furnished rooms

• Stayed June 2011