“Careful”

Ranked #34 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
St Louis
“Careful”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The hotel is close to the train station, just a few minutes walk. You ring the bell at the door and are buzzed in. The room was clean and large. There is a plastic cover on the mattress. The bathroom was clean. Wifi was good. There is no room safe. There is no breakfast. Cash only. I guess they were trying to be helpful, but provided me with very, very bad information.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MickeyK50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel really was a find! Within walking distance of nearly everything you would like to be within walking distance of and the rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean. The staff is friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Immaculate small albergo, my room was as clean as an operating theatre, which is more than can be said for the city of Palermo.Breakfast not included in the price, but plenty of places nearby for a brioche & cappuchino. I had a large balcony, with views of the sea and the mountains. Helpful advice over what to see, would be very happy to stay here again. Don't get too worked up over going to Palermo, it's dirty & decaying, they don't know what garbage collection is, it ought to be an embarassment to Italy. Every other city I've been to in Italy has civic pride, Palermo just has rubbish.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank sidg02
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This won't be to all tastes but this is the kind of place I love to find. The 5th floor rooms of this grand building are furnished in an old fashioned style have high ceilings, are spotless, and equipped with TV and wifi. I was more than impressed when I opened the door to the gigantic balcony that came with my well appointed room. As I was watching the pennies, I opted for a room without an en-suite bathroom. The shared one opposite my room was large, bright and always immaculately clean. I got the distinct impression that they take great pride in looking after the place and you.

Despite my meagre Italian and the hostess's basic English she was able to give me some sound recommendations on where to eat well. I had to change my original plans at the last minute and cut short my visit (cancel a few days of my booking) - they could not have been more helpful or understanding. You access the Albrego using the 'old school' cage like lift or trapse up and down the five flights of circular marble stairway. It's very convenient to the station and the Ballaro market and old part of town.

Room Tip: I had a single without bathroom ensuite that came with a massive balcony. The other rooms I saw look...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Raymondo_reviews
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Great priced hotel 1min walk from the station. The staff, and in particular, the owner's daughter, were excellent. The owner's daughter was very attentive to guest's needs and went out of her way to make us feel welcome. Room's and bathrooms are simple but very spacious and spotlessly cleaned. For the price, we couldn't have asked for more!

Worth noting is that this hotel is in an apartment building (with a lift) and is cleaned by the owners, and so when I returned as a solo female traveller, I felt completely safe. I highly recommend this place (particularily if you speak italian, as most palermitani speak little English), as for the price, it really can't be faulted.
____________________________________________________________________

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank SophieRad
Oslo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Some steps from the central station, we took the narrow, old elevator up to the 5th floor and were met by Maria. She gave us a room in the attic, actually with sea view. The room had a newer, well functioning air condition unit. There was free wifi. The beds were good. Furniture was old, style, but relatively new and well kept.

Unlike some other b&bs, you did not have to rise early to get at hot shower, as the bathroom had a separate boiler.

As in a hotel, the beds were made while we were out. Maria was very helpful and provided us with explanations, tips and directions. We don't speak italian, but her English was sufficient for the limited subjects we touched upon.

She seemed to be on duty around the clock.

Cavour doesn't take cards, but bancomats are one minute away.

The location is great for the old town, a bit more remote for the modern downtown (but buses take five-ten minutes).

Although minor improvements are possible (a non-italian televison channel, reading lamp for the third bed), the low price (€70 for a spacious three bed room) and high service warrants five dots.

Room Tip: Our room in the attic had a big window facing the sea. Other rooms faced the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brainspin
melbourne australia
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This B&B (no breakfast) was perfect for our needs. The rooms on the 5th floor of an oldish mainly office block-with a lift- are owned by an Italian family who look after all aspects of the place themselves (and live there),and boy ,do they do a good job!
Rooms are simple but immaculate and good sized. Ours had a Sicilian feel with a lovely old wooden cupboard and similar bedside tables, a little desk , air con and TV. The bathroom was largish and spotless. We had no problems with hot water at all. The bedroom had a lovely little balcony from which we could catch a glimpse of the sea over the roof tops. Linen was all sparkling white. The only thing that bothered my daughter a bit was the plastic type undersheet on the bed, but I found it no problems.
In particular, the owner's daughter (who takes great pride in the place) was very helpful to us when our luggage failed to arrive on our flight, and made a call to see when it would arrive
She speaks very little English, but as my daughter speaks Italian,she provided us with all the info we needed for our stay. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a very clean, quiet, simple and non generic type place to stay, especially if you speak a little Italian.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family